Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight Savings

Daylight Savings

Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:01 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Daylight Savings

A mate mentioned cpl of years back, this scenario, and it still makes me chuckle to this day.

2 fellas, 1 just north of the border of Nsw in qld and other fella vice versa.

Both work in a winery some 50 km into NSW.

They start at 7 am each day.

Fella in Qld leaves his home at example 5:00 reaching his mate 15 minutes later in NSW at 6:15am
They then drive to work and clock in at 7 am

When they leave work, the 1st fella gets dropped off at 5pm, and number 1 fella arives home 15 minutes later at 4:15pm !!!

HOW F***ING BIZARRE !!! huh
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:26 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight Savings

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
A mate mentioned cpl of years back, this scenario, and it still makes me chuckle to this day.

Fella in Qld leaves his home at example 5:00 reaching his mate 15 minutes later in NSW at 6:15am

When they leave work, the 1st fella gets dropped off at 5pm, and number 1 fella arives home 15 minutes later at 4:15pm !!!

Lol, that's very bizarre and I'm now very confused (yes I know that's not difficult!)
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back to UK Oct 05,Gold Coast Feb 05, Perth Jan 2005 (South Wales b4 that)
Wal10 will become famous soon enough

Yep, and in the town of Tweed Heads the border line runs right down the centre of the road. The shops on one side of the road open and close an hour in front of the shops on the other side, and sometimes have different public holidays too.

It's spooky!!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:30 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Daylight Savings

She's a big country; and with three different timezones plus d/s, weird things are bound to happen!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:32 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
She's a big country; and with three different timezones plus d/s, weird things are bound to happen!

sheesh i thought we had 5 diff time zones lmao, sorry
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wal10
Yep, and in the town of Tweed Heads the border line runs right down the centre of the road. The shops on one side of the road open and close an hour in front of the shops on the other side, and sometimes have different public holidays too.

It's spooky!!

Walt my offsider or am i his offsider lol, is off to tweedheads Monday for 10 days of relaxation. Hes an early riser, and a PIG !!!

if he times it right he can make 5am maccyds on lhs of rd and sit their scoffing till other maccyds opens at 5am on other side of rd LMFFAO !!!!!!

Weird huh
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Daylight Savings

sheesh i thought we had 5 diff time zones lmao, sorry
LOL, it's only 3 AFAIK. Don't know where you'd be getting the additional 2!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:11 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

tassie has daylight savings already
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:16 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

there's actually 6.

WA
NT
QLD
SA (different from NT as it has DST)
NSW/VIC/ACT (different from QLD as they have DST)
TAS different from NSW/VIC/ACT as it has DST at DIFFERENT times.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
LOL, it's only 3 AFAIK. Don't know where you'd be getting the additional 2!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:48 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

At least the States and Territories here uniformally follow (or don't follow) Daylight Saving. In the US, you have individual cities that don't follow it. From memory, Indianapolis doesn't have DST whereas the remainder of Indiana does. I believe Phoenix in Arizona has a similar situation.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:27 am
Drunken Aussie

actually, not exactly right. broken hill in NSW runs off SA timezone, and i know that a number of places in kingscliffe, NSW run off QLD time, ie don't put their clocks forward.....

Originally Posted by Peter
At least the States and Territories here uniformally follow (or don't follow) Daylight Saving. In the US, you have individual cities that don't follow it. From memory, Indianapolis doesn't have DST whereas the remainder of Indiana does. I believe Phoenix in Arizona has a similar situation.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The journey takes 15 minutes regardless.

You 'lose' an hour going from QLD into NSW, so arrive 1 hour 15 mins later (60 mins plus 15), but gain the hour on the way back to arrive 45 minutes 'earlier (60 mins less 15).

Jeremy
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wal10

It's spooky!!

There is nothing stopping businesses in SE Queensland from operating on NSW business hours if they wish. At least as far as daylight saving is concerned, public holidays are a different matter.

If enough businesses in the Brisbane and SE Queensland area decided to open earlier and shut earlier in summer, then effectively the area would move onto daylight saving even if the government refused to legislate so.

Jeremy
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:30 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by brisnick
there's actually 6.

WA
NT
QLD
SA (different from NT as it has DST)
NSW/VIC/ACT (different from QLD as they have DST)
TAS different from NSW/VIC/ACT as it has DST at DIFFERENT times.

I think you can make that seven ... Lord Howe Island is part of NSW and is far enough east to have its own time zone:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=750

If you add in Australia's territories - eg Norfolk Island or Christmas Island, there are at least a couple more.

On the SA/WA border I think there's an 'unofficial' time zone that's 45 minutes ahead of Perth.

Jeremy
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think you can make that seven ... Lord Howe Island is part of NSW and is far enough east to have its own time zone:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=750

If you add in Australia's territories - eg Norfolk Island or Christmas Island, there are at least a couple more.

On the SA/WA border I think there's an 'unofficial' time zone that's 45 minutes ahead of Perth.

Jeremy
You're correct about the SA/WA border "time zone" and having spent several years on Cocos (Keeling) Islands Indian Ocean it was (and probably still is) 1.5 hours behind Perth.

So that's another 2 Time Zones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.