Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daylight saving starts tonight...

Daylight saving starts tonight...

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:42 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daylight saving starts tonight...

I like Victoria, I like the warm, I like DS and longer evenings. I put up with the winter.

But all in all, I like it. Guess that's why I'm here.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Nah - lack of DST in Brisbane is a godsend. The last thing you want is to travel home from work still in the heat of the day and have to wait an extra hour before it cools down sufficiently to wander outside away from the ever comforting air-con.

As it is in summer our dog only gets a lap of the block after about 10pm. If we had DST we'd almost have to set the alarm for middnight just to get up and walk the dog! <-- ok partly joking, but you get the point
I think it's worse having to get up and get ready for and get to work in the morning when it's already hot. My 10 minute walk from station to office would often leave me feeling like I needed another shower once I got there! I wouldn't be nearly so bothered if it was a bit hotter on the way home from work - who cares by then?

Brisbane temps, unlike Melbourne often peak very early in the day - not sure anyone would really notice the difference in the evening.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:14 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Middle of summer near Melly; civil twilight ends at around 9.15. Civil twilight is the point at which you can no longer work by natural light. I feel it doesn't get dark until 9.30 but then maybe I get a few more minutes for being a man

In London I only got half and hour more so I don't miss that at all.

The only problem here is that you have to keep the kids up late to see the Christmas lights.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Middle of summer near Melly; civil twilight ends at around 9.15. Civil twilight is the point at which you can no longer work by natural light. I feel it doesn't get dark until 9.30 but then maybe I get a few more minutes for being a man

In London I only got half and hour more so I don't miss that at all.

The only problem here is that you have to keep the kids up late to see the Christmas lights.
That's exactly it - don't go by the times on the net - which are mostly sunset times. 9:15 is long enough in my books!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Nah - lack of DST in Brisbane is a godsend. The last thing you want is to travel home from work still in the heat of the day and have to wait an extra hour before it cools down sufficiently to wander outside away from the ever comforting air-con.

As it is in summer our dog only gets a lap of the block after about 10pm. If we had DST we'd almost have to set the alarm for middnight just to get up and walk the dog! <-- ok partly joking, but you get the point
I was going to say this. But people want light! The heat is another thing.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

It all comes down to whether you like being woken up at around 5am to 5:30am in summer with the sun streaming in and birds calling and then not being able to get back to sleep, or whether you would prefer to get up closer to sunrise with duller light around 6am to 6:30am and have more time later in the day.

Without daylight savings you are at risk of having less sleep but also less time after work to do anything. One of the worst parts of winter is coming home in the dark and then having nothing to do but sit in front of the TV or a computer when you've probably been in front of a computer all day anyway.

It is a health related issue the way I see it, both physical and mental health.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

So.... I was walking the dog along the beach today, at about 7.30pm, watching the great big orange sun setting into a very flat sea, loads of families on the beach making sandcastles, having picnics, lots of people in swimmers even at this time in the evening, it was 26 degrees and I was thinking - it doesn't get much better than this.

BB
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
So.... I was walking the dog along the beach today, at about 7.30pm, watching the great big orange sun setting into a very flat sea, loads of families on the beach making sandcastles, having picnics, lots of people in swimmers even at this time in the evening, it was 26 degrees and I was thinking - it doesn't get much better than this.

BB
Yes - it was that warm. Funny how in Melbourne summer just arrives..

What makes me laugh is not the apparent temperature but the UV - winter - fairly cold and dull at times - a weekend of spring sun and above 20 temps can make the whole joint feel hot..push a mower around and boy - time for a beer!

The sky was still orange at 8pm...which tells people how light it stays in Melbourne.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:43 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
One of the worst parts of winter is coming home in the dark and then having nothing to do but sit in front of the TV or a computer when you've probably been in front of a computer all day anyway..
or alternatively one of the worst things in summer is coming home from work and having to sit in front of a computer or TV for a few hours waiting for it to get dark and cooler before you can go outside and do anything.

No DST = more outdoor time in the evenings!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Curses!!! Am jealous of all of you that have Daylight saving

Meanwhile ....here in Queensland (the special state).... after much deliberation it has just been announced that the strange looking white thing in the sky is in fact not Anna Bligh's Teeth but the moon... Also that if you stay out after it gets dark you do not REPEAT do not turn in to a Pumpkin....

IN THE NAME OF SANITY PLEASE BRING DAYLIGHT SAVING TO QUEENSLAND............!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUEENSLAND- The confused, very special and mentally challenged state.... with a bit of sunshine
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:58 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

What is bizarre about the lack of DST in Queensland is that Adelaide is half an hour ahead of Brisbane.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so who is sitting outside right now in the sunshine apart from QLDers?
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Right, so who is sitting outside right now in the sunshine apart from QLDers?
Give it a couple of months and we'll still have light at this time.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Give it a couple of months and we'll still have light at this time.
Just teasing. I'm jealous.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:24 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had it and to be honest the old excuses of 'the kids wont sleep at night' or 'the curtains fade' or 'the cows wont milk' seem a tad feeble to me. Really, tell your kids to sleep FFS, buy curtains that wont fade and as for cows not milking, what a crock of shite.

I miss late summer evenings when it was daylight for ages, now its 4.30am daylight, well I hope your shitting stupid kids get you up at dawns crack.

Please tell me that they were not the REAL reasons that this vote was based on?

Last edited by Cheetah7; Oct 3rd 2010 at 12:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.