Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daughter Moving NZ to OZ

Daughter Moving NZ to OZ

Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter Moving NZ to OZ

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I would say none do. Shared accomodation would be off site and if the mine is not near a town, non-existent.
Which is what I said in post #11.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I would say none do. Shared accomodation would be off site and if the mine is not near a town, non-existent.
Not speaking from experience of course, but I imagine part of the attraction of fifo is that you cant bring your partner with you.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Not speaking from experience of course, but I imagine part of the attraction of fifo is that you cant bring your partner with you.
That would certainly be a plus for me!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Just bear in mind that as an NZ citizen your daughter will not get permanent residency in Australia, just perpetual temporary residency. In practice this is not very different but it means that on forms where she is asked if she has PR she will have to answer "no" which may mean getting turned down for mortgages, credit cards etc. A lot of people here do not understand the rather unique residency status that NZ citizens have and lengthy explanations may be needed. As NZ citizens we had very limited mortgages to choose from compared with now we have PR, for instance.

BB
Most NZ citizens describe themselves as PR and most Australians don't know the difference. However, long term, an NZ citizen should normally try to get PR/citizenship if possible.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I wonder if you good folk can help please. I've trawled through previous threads but can't find specifics on moving from NZ to Oz as a Kiwi?

My daughter is set on joining her boyfriend in Perth in a couple of weeks. She has a NZ passport, Citizen by Descent.

Can she drive on her NZ licence?
Can she obtain an OZ tax code or equivalent before arrival?
Can she open a bank account before arrival?
Does she need to complete anything for medical care upon arrival or before?
You don't tell us if her boyfriend is an Australian citizen or PR. That may give her options in terms of Australian PR/citizenship for herself long term.

You say she's NZ by descent - so if she has not "upgraded" to full NZ citizenship, any children she has in Australia won't be NZ citizens by descent. Unless they get it from the other parent. (children won't be Australian either, unless they get it from the other parent).

One further point to ponder. If she has children in Australia and then her relationship breaks down, then her partner may be able to prevent the children being brought back to New Zealand (or even from leaving WA).