Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dating & marrying an Aussie

dating & marrying an Aussie

Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:42 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default dating & marrying an Aussie

I've just started dating an Aussie girl here in Ausland.

Let's hear about other experiences of Brits dating the Aussies and, where appropriate, their marriage to an Aussie.

I'll go first.

We met via one of the online singles sites (which I'd recommend to anyone because they are excellent for finding suitable matches you're just not going to bump into casually). I live by the beach, she lives on a farm in the hills - we clicked instantly.

The cultural differences make for interesting conversations.

95% of the time she can understand my Welsh accent. I have no problem with her accent, but am constantly asking for definitions of phrases she uses.

Hmm, what else can I say. In the meantime, it's your turn...
Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dagboy, couldnt understand why the hell you would wear a dinner jacket as a groom at a wedding. I couldnt work out why the hell you wouldnt?

I'll leave the rest, since it asked for poms marrying aussies, Dagboy can tell all .
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Where do I start? You never run out of phrases/words/ways of life which are different and which you end up explaining to each other! My Aussie Bloke has just spent 6 weeks in the UK - "why are your houses so small" - cos we don't have the space Australia has "why are your streets so grubby" cos we don't have your idea of taking pride in your surroundings" "why are your seagulls the same size as our wedge-tailed eagles" cos they live on the rubbish from Brighton's burger bars!
Its fun though, don't get me wrong! We will never run out of things to talk about!
And like Mrs Dagboy - the differences when it comes to the wedding - Me "what do you mean we can get married on the beach?"Him "whyever not?" Me "Have you seen some of our beaches -wouldn't want to go near some of 'em never mind get married on them...."
I'll throw in more later.........off for a flat white / coffee now - delete depending on country where you are reading!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:32 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
I'll leave the rest, since it asked for poms marrying aussies, Dagboy can tell all .
Did you ever tell Mr Dagboy the origin of the word "dag" ?

Eww.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

One point I'd say look at is, marrying in a different country can be complicated if you have kids and split up.

Say my old man and I had split up and the kids were little, born in OZ, guess what the courts would say if I fancied taking them back to the UK.

This did not happen to me, we are still together, but along the way I have met dozens of women who have been through this. As the Oz court told one lady we knew, you can return to the UK but the kids cant.

Family law courts seem to favour the party who is the resident.

And before the negative nellies start harping, face it 40% of marriages end in Divorce, even in the Rosebud land.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Good point Dotty; and one I would have been seriously thinking about if a were a mere slip of a thing....I'm hoping that with the big (shhhh) 40 looming I shan't have to worry. Never wanted kids, so quite glad that the question isn't likely to bother me. And hopefully at our ripe old age we are a bit more worldly wise and manage manage to work out our problems without resorting to divorce.
For the younger ones out there, starting families, yes, its a point that needs thinking about.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshpom
Did you ever tell Mr Dagboy the origin of the word "dag" ?

Eww.
yes, I think hes just happy that its not worse, it could be .
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I met my boyfriend when I was 16 online via the chat program ICQ. We started out as friends with me offering him advice on his Canadia girlfriend Then it developed into more than friends, John came to England for 5 weeks 1 xmas, then he went back to Oz because he was supposed to be training as a pilot. Drove all the way out to Halls Gap and decided he didn't want to do it anymore, wanted to come back to England to be with me Applied for a working holiday visa, was in UK for 2years up until the beginning of 2002 and now I am at the University of Melbourne for 3 years doing my degree After that we don't know where we will end up we will have to start thinking about it soon, needing visas to be together is going to be hell
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the issues about marrying an Aussie is whether the wedding is held in one country or the another.

Part of me would love to get married at home - old English church, family all in one country, but part of me loves the idea of getting married in the country I've called home for the past 3 years.

We discussed this soon after I got to Australia and agreed that we'd have the wedding here (but he still hasn't bloody proposed....3 years we've been together...grr), so I guess that's what we'll do. It's going to be a good 2 or 3 years away (but he could still propose, couldn't he!?).
Old Sep 18th 2003, 7:43 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dating & marrying an Aussie

Met my Aussie girlfriend in October last year (so coming up to the 1 year anniversary).

She was working in London but was having a weekend at her friends in Nottingham.
And of cause we met in the local Aussie bar (Walkabout) after a Forest home game.
She has since moved up to Nottingham and in with myself.

Some of the phrases we use have totally different meanings in each others country and can make for some interesting looks.

But on the whole we seem to be getting along great, and long may it continue.
My family enjoy her company and see it as quite a novelty.
They know it might lead to me emmigrating in the future but just want us to enjoy it for the moment.

Cheers

TT

Originally posted by welshpom
I've just started dating an Aussie girl here in Ausland.

Let's hear about other experiences of Brits dating the Aussies and, where appropriate, their marriage to an Aussie.

I'll go first.

We met via one of the online singles sites (which I'd recommend to anyone because they are excellent for finding suitable matches you're just not going to bump into casually). I live by the beach, she lives on a farm in the hills - we clicked instantly.

The cultural differences make for interesting conversations.

95% of the time she can understand my Welsh accent. I have no problem with her accent, but am constantly asking for definitions of phrases she uses.

Hmm, what else can I say. In the meantime, it's your turn...
Old Sep 18th 2003, 8:06 am
Can't re member

Originally posted by Nara
One of the issues about marrying an Aussie is whether the wedding is held in one country or the another.
We've covered that issue already (wow, after just 2 weeks). Doesn't have to be one country or the other, it can be neutral territory. The sheer stupidity of a drive thru Las Vegas wedding appeals to both of us :scared:
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:04 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Teliko19
I met my boyfriend when I was 16 online via the chat program ICQ.
My God! Online! Are you some kind of a freak?????
:scared:
Oh - hang on.

I met Mrs DagBoy online in a chat room. We talked online (AIM,ICQ) exchanged emails, talked on the phone. I came out to Bris for a 2 week holiday and when I got back to the UK I proposed (and mad fool that she is - she said yes). Then she came over the England for 6 weeks over Christmas and ended up staying for 12. I managed to sort out a work transfer out here and came out 6 weeks after she came back. We married by the river in Brisbane (some of my family and friends made it) and it was fabulous.
Now all I have to do is sort out my PR application.

Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Bondipom

I was best woman at my brothers wedding and thought i was somrthing of a rare species, nice to know i'm not the only one.

Lynn
Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:24 pm
WBB

well me and her aint married (and if i have my way we wont be for a while yet) it's only bit of paper after all and doesnt really do anything for your relationship.

well thats what i tell myself, although she needs some convincing.

Old Sep 18th 2003, 1:52 pm
Badge

what did you mean you met your Sheilas online..

My whole bloody life is "online"...

guess what.

I met my missus in real life. Jesus I'm abnormal.

badgers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.