Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Date of Registration - Car

Date of Registration - Car

Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice
Default Date of Registration - Car

Just got myself a secondhand car. It was advertised as a 2009 Model. The Service Maintenance book shows that it was registered 29.7.09. However, just got my new rego sticker through along with the certificate and it shows Year make 2008 I don't understand - why is this? Is there any Car Sales / Service people that can answer my question?

Not that I am worried as it is only a car - which I am happy with
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

annier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant future
Default Re: Date of Registration - Car

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
Just got myself a secondhand car. It was advertised as a 2009 Model. The Service Maintenance book shows that it was registered 29.7.09. However, just got my new rego sticker through along with the certificate and it shows Year make 2008 I don't understand - why is this? Is there any Car Sales / Service people that can answer my question?

Not that I am worried as it is only a car - which I am happy with
It could be a 2008 build, 1st registered 2009, you can check usually under the bonnet and there is a metal ID plate giving you the build date and usually the vin no, Dealers always go on the build date when giving you a price as a trade in etc. If the build date on the ID plate is different to the rego papers you will need to take it back to the dealer and tell them when they originally registered it they put the wrong year down, hoping this helps Annie
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

annier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by annier
It could be a 2008 build, 1st registered 2009, you can check usually under the bonnet and there is a metal ID plate giving you the build date and usually the vin no, Dealers always go on the build date when giving you a price as a trade in etc. If the build date on the ID plate is different to the rego papers you will need to take it back to the dealer and tell them when they originally registered it they put the wrong year down, hoping this helps Annie
Sorry forgot to mention on your contract from whomever you bought it from it will give you a build date on there. Annie
Old Mar 21st 2012, 6:12 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it sounds like it is actually a 2008 that was registered in 2009.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:42 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Since the vast majority of cars sold in Australia are made overseas the build date can be significantly different to the first registration date - the longest I've seen was a Jeep I bought in March 2003 which had a build date of April 2002!

Your car should have two plates or stickers - the original manufacturer's build plate which could be anywhere (mine is on the driver's door jamb) and the Australian compliance plate which is usually mounted under the bonnet somewhere.