darwin work

Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

mrbond is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: darwin work

Originally Posted by wmoore
This is true. I know plenty of people who love Darwin and wouldn't be anywhere else. There is definitely a slower pace of life and if you love your 'easy' activities like fishing - and I mean really love it above all else - then Darwin may be for you.

For us, the long wet season when we spent so long indoors with the aircon running reminded us of what we left behind in the UK. Namely winters spending so long indoors with the heater running.

During the dry season, the weather is spectacular and there is some life about the place but during the wet, there are no tourists and even the locals head south, so the place is really quiet. And even if it wasn't, it's too damn wet to go outside and do anything. The beautiful places like Litchfield and Kakadu will be flooded and the sea is full of deadly jellyfish and crocs.

Darwin has its plus points and I would encourage people to check it out in June / July / August but I could not recommend living there, based on my own experience.

Forgot to add re: groceries. Not only do they cost more, they are most certainly not fresh.
Opps, also, how do the salaries compare to the larger cities?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen people inquiring about Darwin before, is the sudden interest because it was shown on Life downunder

What time of year exactly did they send people there think as others have said check the climate, cost of living and a map. However I guess it might appeal to some.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all, we (me, wife & 2 kids 5 and 18 mths) live in Palmerston, 20 km from Darwin.
Darwin always has lots of work - even in the 'Wet' there is work. Main areas are IT, Construction and any sort of Engineering. Childcare, Health and Social work is also available.

Some items cost more here, although we manage to live on around $700 a week - easily.

We got used to the weather pretty quick. We arrived at the start of the 'Build up' (the hot humid start to the Wet) and we limited ourselves to 1 hour of A/C a day - just before going to bed. The rooms all have ceiling fans which keep you cool enough. After about 2 months, we found some nights we didn't bother with A/C at all.
The dry season makes up for any bad bits during the wet, even though I love the wet too.

As for remoteness, we hardly notice it. There are plenty of friendly people here and there is a lot of things to do at night, even with kids.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I have never seen people inquiring about Darwin before, is the sudden interest because it was shown on Life downunder

What time of year exactly did they send people there think as others have said check the climate, cost of living and a map. However I guess it might appeal to some.
Somewhere I've been intrested in for a while. A friend of mine once worked for Pas Parley offshore on a pearl farm and enjoyed Darwin (when he made it back to land).

Tropical climate (or so I believe), slower pace of life etc etc.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by njk435
Hi all, we (me, wife & 2 kids 5 and 18 mths) live in Palmerston, 20 km from Darwin.
Darwin always has lots of work - even in the 'Wet' there is work. Main areas are IT, Construction and any sort of Engineering. Childcare, Health and Social work is also available.

Some items cost more here, although we manage to live on around $700 a week - easily.

We got used to the weather pretty quick. We arrived at the start of the 'Build up' (the hot humid start to the Wet) and we limited ourselves to 1 hour of A/C a day - just before going to bed. The rooms all have ceiling fans which keep you cool enough. After about 2 months, we found some nights we didn't bother with A/C at all.
The dry season makes up for any bad bits during the wet, even though I love the wet too.

As for remoteness, we hardly notice it. There are plenty of friendly people here and there is a lot of things to do at night, even with kids.
Are there any suburbs in Darwin to avoid, or are they all generaly OK?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:48 am
Just Joined

naylam will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mrbond
Hi missmileyselina

Thanks for your post.

How do property prices fair with the other cities? Are they cheaper in comparison?

Are there any 'cad' areas in Darwin, places you'd not want to live?

What's the traffic like at peak times?

Thanks.
Hi Mr Bond
we are in rented accomodation but have been looking around and i think that prices here in Darwin are not cheaper in comparison...the average in Palmerston is about 500k for a 3/4 bedroom. Of course you get what you pay for but for a nice house etc look at the 500k mark. As for where not to live in Darwin I'm not too sure as I live in Palmerston (about 20kms from Darwin)..very nice city of 30000 people. here I certainly wouldn't live in Moulden but most other suburbs are ok with, of course, the newer ones being better - Durack, Rosebery, Grey, Farrar.

Traffic isn't too bad at peak times definately nothing like other major cities anyway!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, nice to know there are jobs available in this area. Does the local work force have a large amount of IT workers? Do they have an advantage getting jobs over outsiders?
Certainly in IT, if you have skills you will get a job. The company I worked for even sponsored a couple of guys (that I know of - I expect there was more) for their visas.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:43 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Opps, also, how do the salaries compare to the larger cities?
Difficult to compare really. I was paid more than in Brisbane but for a higher level job, then I came back and got paid more again, but again for a higher level job. Based on that alone I would have to answer 'similar'.

Can't remember about suburbs. There are certainly a couple I would avoid but I can't remember their names. Actually just remember The Narrows as one to avoid ...
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by susanmj
and what situation was that ?
thanks for the warning but we will be ok there is just me and hubby and kids we have no family and friends and so have only relied on each other
we keep ourself to ourselfs
and it has worked
i think alice springs will be great
I apologise for being rude and blunt,but people with local experience are trying to help you out.If you want to put your family in danger ,do not take the advice given.The interior of Aus is a far different place from the coastline.A chippie i know was working in such an area,one night he found an aboriginal in his daughters bedroom trying to rape her,at the time his daughter was 8 years old.Sorry to give you this information but it seems the right thing to do.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is so much suburbs that you need to avoid, but rather trouble seems to hang out in particular streets.

Before buying, without a doubt you need to rent for a while and get talking to the locals to get a feel. I would recommend not living too close to anywhere that liquor is sold as that will result in drinking parties in the vicinity. I believe the shop in Tiwi is giving up their licence (or may have already done so) so that should prevent problems in that area.

My sister lives in Wulagi and has had no trouble at all. I think most suburbs have incidents from time to time, there was a lot of gang-type violence in Wanguri last year. But then I have also heard of incidents in Stuart Park which is not a cheap suburb. A good indicator of possible problems is to drive up the street and check out who your neighbours would be.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I don't think it is so much suburbs that you need to avoid, but rather trouble seems to hang out in particular streets.

Before buying, without a doubt you need to rent for a while and get talking to the locals to get a feel. I would recommend not living too close to anywhere that liquor is sold as that will result in drinking parties in the vicinity. I believe the shop in Tiwi is giving up their licence (or may have already done so) so that should prevent problems in that area.

My sister lives in Wulagi and has had no trouble at all. I think most suburbs have incidents from time to time, there was a lot of gang-type violence in Wanguri last year. But then I have also heard of incidents in Stuart Park which is not a cheap suburb. A good indicator of possible problems is to drive up the street and check out who your neighbours would be.
Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

wmoore, would you mind me asking what company it was you worked for who sponsored workers? I won't contact them or anything, just so I can check their website etc. I currently work (and have for some time) as a microsoft back office analyst (directory services and messaging). Would you know what - if any - level of demand there would be for these skills?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

gaz4 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi just wondering if anyone knows if theres much bricklaying and hairdressing work around darwin?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:54 am
Just Joined

naylam will become famous soon enough

Hi Gaz4

Not 100% sure how much there is but there is a lot of building going on here - residential and business. The port of Darwin is having a massive oil/gas complex built over the next couple of years so plenty of call for experienced tradies. In Palmerston they've just released land for more houses to be built plus schools, shopping centre etc so there seems to be lots of work.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:58 am
What's happening dudes?

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

wmoore, would you mind me asking what company it was you worked for who sponsored workers? I won't contact them or anything, just so I can check their website etc. I currently work (and have for some time) as a microsoft back office analyst (directory services and messaging). Would you know what - if any - level of demand there would be for these skills?
No problemo, it's CSG. The company is essentially in two parts (there are more but two parts for IT services) - commercial and government outsource contracts. To be honest being that one arm looks after all the NT gov contracts, AD and messaging is pretty big I was in the commercial section and would be happy to PM you the manager's email address if you're interested.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wmoore
No problemo, it's CSG. The company is essentially in two parts (there are more but two parts for IT services) - commercial and government outsource contracts. To be honest being that one arm looks after all the NT gov contracts, AD and messaging is pretty big I was in the commercial section and would be happy to PM you the manager's email address if you're interested.
Thanks again. If you could PM me the managers email address that would be great.

Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.