Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Darwin....Plenty of work!!!

Darwin....Plenty of work!!!

Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Darwin....Plenty of work!!!

Well my 18 year old daughter arrived in Darwin on Sunday afternoon, to begin her new life with her `young man`!!!!!
She trawled the streets all day Monday giving out her resume.
Tuesday she had 3 interviews........
This morning I had a call to say she had been offered a full time position at a resort and starts on Thursday.
Whoever said work is hard to come by for young folk obiously isnt trying hard enough!!!!!
One happy Mum
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Darwin....Plenty of work!!!

Originally Posted by Cookster
Well my 18 year old daughter arrived in Darwin on Sunday afternoon, to begin her new life with her `young man`!!!!!
She trawled the streets all day Monday giving out her resume.
Tuesday she had 3 interviews........
This morning I had a call to say she had been offered a full time position at a resort and starts on Thursday.
Whoever said work is hard to come by for young folk obiously isnt trying hard enough!!!!!
One happy Mum

Isnt trying hard enough or doesnt live in Darwin....
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Great news

I'm sure she'll have a fab time up here x
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:53 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

do they need wankers in darwin?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:54 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i meant to say bankers.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
do they need wankers in darwin?
Not really, there are plenty of them here already
Old Mar 10th 2012, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Hey Jilliebee.... got a message from my dughter yesterday to say she has gone for a walk around Bakewell and came across an old boy gardening in the nude!!!!! Made her laugh no end!!!!
Old Mar 10th 2012, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

sharp517 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I am waiting to hear about relocating from the UK to Darwin to work in Child Protection as a Social Worker....

Any advice on the following (Positive please and not simply 'Don't do it' or 'Are you nuts' lol)

Where to live...thinking Palmerston (Aparently its cheaper to rent)..??

Has anyone emigrated from the UK and taken dogs to this region? If so what are the main risks to their health....I.e. Chances of dogs encountering snakes etc.. If so what is the vet service like in Darwin.

Cost of living for me as a single guy.. Salary approx $65000 this needs to cover my rent and daily living etc....

Social life in and around Darwin (Not just the bars etc..but for Gym's and activities etc...I am 41, clean and healthy etc...

Am also hopefully bringing my Mountain bike as a means of transport, I think.....

If any other Social Workers/Health Profs reading this cold give me advice...re working in the NT I would very much appreciate it..

Kind but cold regards from Chris
Old Mar 10th 2012, 7:19 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharp517
Hi all, I am waiting to hear about relocating from the UK to Darwin to work in Child Protection as a Social Worker....

Any advice on the following (Positive please and not simply 'Don't do it' or 'Are you nuts' lol)

Has anyone emigrated from the UK and taken dogs to this region? If so what are the main risks to their health....I.e. Chances of dogs encountering snakes etc.. If so what is the vet service like in Darwin.

Cost of living for me as a single guy.. Salary approx $65000 this needs to cover my rent and daily living etc....

Social life in and around Darwin (Not just the bars etc..but for Gym's and activities etc...I am 41, clean and healthy etc...

Am also hopefully bringing my Mountain bike as a means of transport, I think.....

If any other Social Workers/Health Profs reading this cold give me advice...re working in the NT I would very much appreciate it..

hi chris try speaking to mandy

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=49745

regards steve
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:25 am
Just Joined

lychee123456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sharp517

Hi

I have also been successful for a position and have received an informal offer. I am waiting for this to be confirmed in writing. I also have a child that will be in secondary school (year 8) and I am looking for suitable schools.

It would be great to share ideas.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Well done on your job offer.

There are plenty of middle schools around Darwin / Palmerston with varying reports - same as anywhere. Also depends whether you want private or public schooling. Try myschool.edu.au. which profiles all schools.

Also have a look at realestate.com.au to check out the rental market. We live in an older suburb of Palmerston and really enjoy it here. Nice parks, schools, local pools, 2 small shopping centres, clubs, gyms etc.

Geordie Mandy lives in a new suburb near the hospital and close to the biggest shopping mall in the NT.

You can get from one point to another in about 25 minutes so nothing is too far from anything.

Lots of people - OH included - cycles to work. Once you get used to the heat somewhat it's not too bad xx

Jilliebee
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

lychee123456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Well done on your job offer.

There are plenty of middle schools around Darwin / Palmerston with varying reports - same as anywhere. Also depends whether you want private or public schooling. Try myschool.edu.au. which profiles all schools.

Also have a look at realestate.com.au to check out the rental market. We live in an older suburb of Palmerston and really enjoy it here. Nice parks, schools, local pools, 2 small shopping centres, clubs, gyms etc.

Geordie Mandy lives in a new suburb near the hospital and close to the biggest shopping mall in the NT.

You can get from one point to another in about 25 minutes so nothing is too far from anything.

Lots of people - OH included - cycles to work. Once you get used to the heat somewhat it's not too bad xx

Jilliebee
Thank you, This is very helpful.