Reload this Page >

Darwin - clothes

Darwin - clothes

Old Aug 19th 2012, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

toadstool75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Darwin - clothes

Hello,

We will be moving from the UK to Darwin in a few months and have figured that it will be cost effective to buy loads of clothes before we come out. However, we have heard that in Darwin people tend to wear long sleeve t-shirts because of the sun. There are lots of UK summer clothes available at the moment but the t-shirts are almost always short sleeve ones and we do wonder if the shorts available in the UK are simply too thick to take out. So my question would be, what do people wear out and about in Darwin?

Thanks
Old Aug 19th 2012, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Darwin - clothes

I have only been to Darwin once but Australia can get pretty hot eveyrwhere and I have not generally observed that people cover up with long sleeves. Sun lotion. That is what you want.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:25 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toadstool75
Hello,

We will be moving from the UK to Darwin in a few months and have figured that it will be cost effective to buy loads of clothes before we come out. However, we have heard that in Darwin people tend to wear long sleeve t-shirts because of the sun. There are lots of UK summer clothes available at the moment but the t-shirts are almost always short sleeve ones and we do wonder if the shorts available in the UK are simply too thick to take out. So my question would be, what do people wear out and about in Darwin?

Thanks
As has been said you want long-sleeve in all of Australia over the summer, and all year round in Darwin, because of the UV levels, which are generally higher in a Darwin winter than in a UK summer. You could dump the long sleeves in the late afternoon when the UV drops but I suspect you'll want to keep them on for other reasons!
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:31 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toadstool75
Hello,

Thanks
Hey toadstool

Good luck with your move. We came out just over a year ago and I can't believe how quickly we climatised. Mostly people wear shorts, t's n thongs, work is in my experience usually quite casual some do dress up, bring some warm clothes just incase (once you have warmed up!). The evenings can be a nightmare for the mozzies and midges, so some (hubby included) tend to wear long trousers and long sleeved shirts.
What trade are you coming out with and where are you planning on heading?
Hope all goes well and if I can give you any advise, will say the same as we were told....'don't try to fight the humidity....go with it....

Ems x
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

toadstool75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone so far.

Ems, we are both social workers coming from Liverpool, and will be arriving in Darwin in October, which is the start of the humid season apparently!! We'll be in government housing for the first three months (not sure where yet) and then have to find somewhere of our own- can you recommend anywhere, or anywhere we should avoid?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Darwin a couple of times, once in the wet and once in the dry.

People don't tend to wear shirts, or shoes for that matter.