Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Darwin / Broome - rainy season is it shut??

Darwin / Broome - rainy season is it shut??

Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:52 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Darwin / Broome - rainy season is it shut??

Planning a trip next Christmas - hopefully this will be to validate our visa, but if not we will have a fab holiday! Just two weeks and we're thinking of either Broome then down to Perth via Ningaloo reef or Darwin and won through Kimberlies bungle bungles etc. The bit that's confusing me is the weather!!! Does anyone know about visiting these areas at Christmas time is it all shut / under water etc etc???!!!

Thanks.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Darwin / Broome - rainy season is it shut??

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Planning a trip next Christmas - hopefully this will be to validate our visa, but if not we will have a fab holiday! Just two weeks and we're thinking of either Broome then down to Perth via Ningaloo reef or Darwin and won through Kimberlies bungle bungles etc. The bit that's confusing me is the weather!!! Does anyone know about visiting these areas at Christmas time is it all shut / under water etc etc???!!!

Thanks.
How are you planning to travel? By road, air etc?

North West Australia (Ningaloo etc) will be pretty hot (40-45C).
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road

Thanks.
Much better to do either of these trips during the 'Dry'., i.e. around June.
The weather, at the times you consider, is in the middle of the 'Wet' and it is extremely uncomfortable, mid 30's and close to 100% humidity!
Much better having a look at the Snowy Mountains. Corryong through to Cooma on the 'Alpine Way' is beautiful then, even seen snow on Thredbo in January.
Cheers,
Dennis
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:14 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by denkar101
Much better to do either of these trips during the 'Dry'., i.e. around June.
The weather, at the times you consider, is in the middle of the 'Wet' and it is extremely uncomfortable, mid 30's and close to 100% humidity!
Much better having a look at the Snowy Mountains. Corryong through to Cooma on the 'Alpine Way' is beautiful then, even seen snow on Thredbo in January.
Cheers,
Dennis
Thanks for the info - looks like we might be off to Brisbane instead!!!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:33 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info - looks like we might be off to Brisbane instead!!!
Definitely don't travel to Darwin during the wet season....the heat, rain, humidity will drive you nuts. Plus all the major sights out in the Kakadu national park are inaccessible during the wet and in fact still long after the wet season has finished....its definitely a dry season destination, Jun - Oct ish.

If you wan't to come at Xmas time then I'd probably avoid the northern parts of Australia.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Definitely don't travel to Darwin during the wet season....the heat, rain, humidity will drive you nuts. Plus all the major sights out in the Kakadu national park are inaccessible during the wet and in fact still long after the wet season has finished....its definitely a dry season destination, Jun - Oct ish.

If you wan't to come at Xmas time then I'd probably avoid the northern parts of Australia.
Plus the odd passing cyclone or two........
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How attractive it all sounds OMG the sun's out - excuse me, I must go out and look at the sky