Darwin

Old Apr 19th 2007, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of
Default Darwin

Is any one going to Darwin - i haven't seen many posts on her and im quiet interested in the place
thanks
emma x
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:56 pm
Mrs Bushpig!

Bushpig is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Darwin

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
Is any one going to Darwin - i haven't seen many posts on her and im quiet interested in the place
thanks
emma x
Darwin NT?

We are. I think thats pretty much everyone,
Jo
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:21 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Darwin - one of the best cities in Australia, for almost six months of the year.
The rest of the time the humidity's almost unbearable, at least I found it so. Have a shower, towel off, walk into the bedroom starkers and you're wetter than you were two minutes ago.
Nobody swims at the beaches because of jellyfish and other stinging critters.
But there are a couple of really good municipal pools, all the hotels and most homes have their own.
The rainy season is quite predictable. It rains every morning betwwen 8am and 9am, when you're going to work or taking kids to school; it rains at 3.30 each afternoon when you're picking the kids up.
Oh, and it rains every evening when you've decided to go somewhere special.
Just before the Wet, the clouds begin to build up - and up . Then they get lower and lower, till you feel they're on top of your head, pressing it into your shoulders and you develop a permanent headache. Not for nothing is it known as the Suicide Season!
Flies, horseflies, mosquitoes love the place and make it their home.
On the other hand, it's a great place for restaurants, the city comes alive when the sun's gone down. People are even more friendly than in other places, I think. Maybe that's because not many are born there and spend all their lives there; it's very much a city of transients.
I lived there for 3 years; I enjoyed much of it, but really wouldn't want to go back.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheCrone
It rains every morning betwwen 8am and 9am, when you're going to work or taking kids to school; it rains at 3.30 each afternoon when you're picking the kids up.
Sounds familiar
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

when we did our whistle stop tour of aus, darwin stood out to us as chilled, fun and bloody hot - we were there december, but we really loved the atmosphere, poss the best over cairns, briss, and sydney - but that was our impression and although we loved it we're deciding to live in brissie.

Fantastic place though
Sx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sammyg
when we did our whistle stop tour of aus, darwin stood out to us as chilled, fun and bloody hot - we were there december, but we really loved the atmosphere, poss the best over cairns, briss, and sydney - but that was our impression and although we loved it we're deciding to live in brissie.

Fantastic place though
Sx
thankyou for your replys xx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:06 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Darwin - one of the best cities in Australia, for almost six months of the year.
The rest of the time the humidity's almost unbearable, at least I found it so. Have a shower, towel off, walk into the bedroom starkers and you're wetter than you were two minutes ago.
Nobody swims at the beaches because of jellyfish and other stinging critters.
But there are a couple of really good municipal pools, all the hotels and most homes have their own.
The rainy season is quite predictable. It rains every morning betwwen 8am and 9am, when you're going to work or taking kids to school; it rains at 3.30 each afternoon when you're picking the kids up.
Oh, and it rains every evening when you've decided to go somewhere special.
Just before the Wet, the clouds begin to build up - and up . Then they get lower and lower, till you feel they're on top of your head, pressing it into your shoulders and you develop a permanent headache. Not for nothing is it known as the Suicide Season!
Flies, horseflies, mosquitoes love the place and make it their home.
On the other hand, it's a great place for restaurants, the city comes alive when the sun's gone down. People are even more friendly than in other places, I think. Maybe that's because not many are born there and spend all their lives there; it's very much a city of transients.
I lived there for 3 years; I enjoyed much of it, but really wouldn't want to go back.
Pretty good summation

We were travelling Oz in a motorhome when a mate offered me a job up here. We came up in Nov and thought it seems OK so went for it. While the job has been fantastic, the wet season hasn't been much fun at all. Stinking hot and humid every day for five months, most of the events that go on here just don't run during the wet and as The Crone says, you can't go for a dip in the sea to cool off - a major frustration when I can see the sea from our window. Now the dry is almost upon us it's improving but we have decided to move back to Brisbane, where at least if nothing is happening (not too often), you can just head off up or down the coast and chill out on the beach, and stinking hot days only come by occasionally during the summer.

I've been chatting to work about it this week and agreed to stay on a couple more months to help them out and then we're outta here. And as we have just acquired a Brisbane office, I'm hoping that an interesting job comes up so I don't have to go job-hunting proper!
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

clivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really nice

Been in Darwin six months and love it - like being on holiday every day - even the wet season was good.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clivefawcett
Been in Darwin six months and love it - like being on holiday every day - even the wet season was good.
Your Location says Lancashire. You wanted by the tax man or something?

I couldn't get away with the wet season and nor could my pockets paying the leccy bill to keep the aircon running. At least we've got a pool, I definitely couldn't survive here without.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

clivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really niceclivefawcett is just really nice

Hmm Tax Man!! forgot about him, your right though you need a pool as you can use it all year round. We didnt find the wet season too bad and we landed from UK in November, stopped sweating in March