Darwin

Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

russell deane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Darwin

I maybe have a job opportunity in Darwin but I have heard that Darwin is not a very good place to live.

Am I right or wrong?
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:27 pm
WBB

Default Re: Darwin

Originally posted by russell deane
I maybe have a job opportunity in Darwin but I have heard that Darwin is not a very good place to live.

Am I right or wrong?
right

Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right or wrong?
Hmm, depends what you are looking for. Darwin is probably my favourite city in Oz - it's compact and surrounded by stunning natural beauty. However, I could never live there because of the heat - even winter was too hot and dry for me.

Someone described Darwin as "kookie" the other day, which is pretty apt - it's a little bit off the wall in some respects, it's sort of a bit hippyish in a way....but also very sophisticated in others (modern, clean, lovely harbour, beautiful harbourside properties, etc). You get a pretty eclectic mix of people living there, and it's very multi-cultural (but then so are other Aussie cities)

Geographically it's obviously pretty remote from the rest of Australia, but is a fantastic gateway to Asia.

I don't know of any forum members currently living in Darwin who can give you a better picture of actually living there, but there are a fair few who have visited.

What do you want out of your new home? Is climate important? COuld you handle the humidity of the wet season up there? Would you be there permanently or is the job opportunity for just a few months? And can I ask what you've heard about it not being a good place to live?

HP
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:23 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Am I right or wrong?
I used to live in Darwin and loved it, yes the wet season (oct-march) can get muggy and humid but the air-con copes with that, the dry seson ( apr- sep) more than makes up for it, endless days of sun and nice and cool aswell.if you are looking for a good easy outdoorsy lifestyle then darwin has it. Fishing , camping, sailing, fantastic surrounding bush, all sorts of sports and activities. But also good seafood, italian, asian restauraunts, bars, outdoor cinema, shopping centre, picnic areas. I agree that it can feel isolated but now that virgin blue fly there it isn't as remote as it used to be. One thing i did experience was that although the people are friendly and nice, it always seemed to me that as they had grown up together and known each other for a long time i sometimes felt like the fifth wheel.Maybe it was just me.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 6:32 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Am I right or wrong?
I used to live in Darwin and loved it, yes the wet season (oct-march) can get muggy and humid but the air-con copes with that, the dry seson ( apr- sep) more than makes up for it, endless days of sun and nice and cool aswell.if you are looking for a good easy outdoorsy lifestyle then darwin has it. Fishing , camping, sailing, fantastic surrounding bush, all sorts of sports and activities. But also good seafood, italian, asian restauraunts, bars, outdoor cinema, shopping centre, picnic areas. I agree that it can feel isolated but now that virgin blue fly there it isn't as remote as it used to be. One thing i did experience was that although the people are friendly and nice, it always seemed to me that as they had grown up together and known each other for a long time i sometimes felt like the fifth wheel.Maybe it was just me.