Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

damaged furniture

damaged furniture

Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

leew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the rough
Default damaged furniture

:curse: We finally got our stuff today after waiting weeks for it and what do you know , furniture damaged,(all chipped and scrapped) and my wifes bike was missing , we have insurance for it but the delivery guys were blaming customs when checking container, it was all the stuff that had been checked by customs . Has anyone else had damaged or missing stuff and if so did your insurance cover it for customs or do we have to make a claim against customs ( these people have no idea how hard it is to bring your family to other side of world without your belongings being trashed by customs )
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: damaged furniture

Originally Posted by leew1019
:curse: We finally got our stuff today after waiting weeks for it and what do you know , furniture damaged,(all chipped and scrapped) and my wifes bike was missing , we have insurance for it but the delivery guys were blaming customs when checking container, it was all the stuff that had been checked by customs . Has anyone else had damaged or missing stuff and if so did your insurance cover it for customs or do we have to make a claim against customs ( these people have no idea how hard it is to bring your family to other side of world without your belongings being trashed by customs )
Didn't ship that much, but my main PC got mullered in the shipping, along with one of my LCD screens. I claimed for the full cost on the insurance and received the money within three weeks.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

leew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hutch
Didn't ship that much, but my main PC got mullered in the shipping, along with one of my LCD screens. I claimed for the full cost on the insurance and received the money within three weeks.
who did you ship your stuff with and what insurance?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

who did you ship your stuff with and what insurance?
Shipped with Excess Baggage. As per advice on these forums, insured ourselves through Letton Percial (1.5%, as opposed to the 3%+ that the shippers will charge you). Insurers couldn't have been more helpful.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

beyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to all

Hi
We insured with Letton Percival when we shipped our goods over last Oct.
There was damage, and we put in a claim. An assessor came out in Nov, and we are still waiting or a final settlement. To be fair, it appears that the hold up is with the assessors report, not with Lettin Percival. The guy at Percival has been very quick to respond to emails and good at chasing up....watch this space- settlement expected soon!!

Five months is a long time to wait though, when stuff like sofa's, beds etc are ruined!
Bloody nightmare!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it was Customs/AQIS and not either the original shippers or the importers? If the bike is missing, then Customs/AQIS have to account for it - find out whether it was loaded in the UK, and whether it was unloaded here. Even if Customs have impounded it for cleaning or something they will notify you - they will NOT just keep it. Its very rare for a major problem to lie with Customs & AQIS, the shippers are more often the perpetrators.
I'd start by phoning Customs and take it from there.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 20th 2007 at 3:12 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Dianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to allDianne is a name known to all

Quite a bit of our stuff was wrecked, chipped, water damaged etc - a year later we are still trying to get the company to admit liability. We have solicitors involved now but it is not looking good as you have to be able to prove that the shippers stuffed up, they blame customs, the container, anyone but themselves really.

My advice is don't let it drop, too many people do and that is why they continue to get away with it, I know they are just things but they were my things and it was bloody upsetting to see so much damage. The move is stressful enough without that.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I would certainly phone customs and see if they can shed any light, if they cant just claim for it as missing - I dont think it's up to you to prove where it went missing and it's not your fault who lost it, shippers or customs.

I'd certainly claim for the damage too, not on that

Sending you some k
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:28 am
Just Joined

beyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to allbeyondblue is a name known to all

Hi
Well, we have finally received the settlement today, five and a half months after we initially contacted the insurers about damage. Glad its over really....its just something else that causes worry and stress, and the move itself causes enough of that!
Even though this has happened, I would still recommend Letton Percival, their customer service has been brilliant, but I would avoid the assessors we used at all costs! PM me if anyone wants to know who they are.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Are you sure it was Customs/AQIS and not either the original shippers or the importers? If the bike is missing, then Customs/AQIS have to account for it - find out whether it was loaded in the UK, and whether it was unloaded here. Even if Customs have impounded it for cleaning or something they will notify you - they will NOT just keep it. Its very rare for a major problem to lie with Customs & AQIS, the shippers are more often the perpetrators.
I'd start by phoning Customs and take it from there.
Thanks for all your replies , help and advice, we have found out after we chased the shippers that customs have taken it to be cleaned (other 3 bikes were left and they were all scrubbed with jeyes before we left and wrapped after ), the damage to furniture was nothing short of willfull neglecte and disrespect for peoples belongings so i will be chasing them to take responsibility and will not let it drop ,as for the bike it stinks of another way to get some more $$$$ from you !!!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Our tv was water damaged and it looked like someone dropped it from 3metres, took nearly 6 months to get paid out even after they agreed to pay after 3. I was told it was paid twice but payment was rejected by my bank. I had to make about 20 phone calls, email pictures of damage and pay for it to be inspected by a repair guy. Insurance cost £2150 and claim was for $900 the cost of $75 for inspection and phone calls was never paid by insurance company.