Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Daily Mail article on emigrating!

Daily Mail article on emigrating!

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 10:41 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of
Default Daily Mail article on emigrating!

Hi all,

found an article in the Daily Mail today on the recent 'Emigration Fair' & the hordes of skilled ppl leaving britain.

I have scanned article but don't know how to insert it! I think it may be too big to insert anyway.....it's 1189x1093 & is 1.2mb!

But if anyones interested it is on page 18 & 19 of todays Daily Mail(sat-13-Apr-04)....and no I do not work for them!!!

Chris Effy.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: Daily Mail article on emigrating!

I have scanned article but don't know how to insert it! I think it may be too big to insert anyway.....it's 1189x1093 & is 1.2mb!

i would very much like to read this article, but the website for the daily mail does not seem to have it available to read online.
can anyone else help please?
thanks
karen
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

szuberts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karenvirginia

i would very much like to read this article, but the website for the daily mail does not seem to have it available to read online.
thanks
karen
Hi. Don't have that particular one, but one related, here it is:

More than two million Britons will leave to work abroad during the next 15 years, according to a new report, but most will go on overseas postings of a few years.

At present 250,000 workers leave Britain each year to work abroad. But according to British Expat Global Workers - The New Geography, a report conducted by Alliance & Leicester International Limited (ALIL) and the think tank The Centre of Future Studies, the figure will treble by 2012 and top two million by 2020.

Many who have taken jobs abroad retain their homes in Britain, and often their families will remain behind
And while English-speaking countries including United States and Australia have previously been the most popular destinations, ALIL's research suggests that expatriate communities are now likely to boom in China, India, Indonesia, Brazil and Russia.

Research does show, however, that the emigrants are unlikely to set up for life in their new adopted nation, as many of the jobs will be internal company postings involving a return to Britain after a few years.

By 2012 only one in five of the overseas postings will be permanent positions and in 2020 the ratio will reach seven to one compared with three to one today, the figures show.

The current trend for some British companies to set up call centres abroad also means more British managers being sent overseas. India has become the major lure for corporations because of its low labour costs, and so senior and mid-level managers are being flown in from Britain to set up and manage new operations.

Simon Hull, ALIL's managing director, said: "The fact that so many companies are turning to British staff shows the high regard we are held in globally. In some cases, reluctance to move abroad could seriously hamper one's career prospects," he said. "And even the image of Brits being unable to cope with exotic diets is being oupt to rest."

Typically, the British global worker will have been with the same company for more than 10 years and most workers will have had one other international assignment lasting an average of four years. Nearly half of expatriates are between 36 and 45 years old. And four out of five are married with children still living with them.

ALIL's guide, Your Complete Guide to Life and Work Abroad is available on www.alil.co.im
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:32 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Originally posted by karenvirginia

thanks
karen

I would e-mail the scan to you Karen but I think the e-mail limit is 1 mb. Ive tried reducing it in size but it then gets unreadable!

Chris Effy.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

Originally posted by The_Effys
I would e-mail the scan to you Karen but I think the e-mail limit is 1 mb. Ive tried reducing it in size but it then gets unreadable!

Chris Effy.
no worries!
and thanks for taking the time to post
karen
Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I rushed out (OK walked) to steal the Daily Mail - I didn't want to be seen buying it .

Under the screaming headline "Queue here to leave Britain" we learn the following amazing things:

- "a staggering 26,000 people visited the Emigration Fair in 3 days...Bright, youthful and skilled, they were precisely the type the nation needs to keep "

- "the throngs of people looking for a new life in America, Europe and Down Under"

- "the outward flow is dramatically increasing...in 2002 reaching 359,000. But - and this must be stressed - an estimated 153,000 more people arrived to live in the UK than left to live elsewhere."

And some stuff about how NZ is "taking all UK's top quality people."

Yeah, in its dreams .

Excuse my cynicism, but it struck me as a typical Mail anti-Blair rant.

And then 24 hours later, the Sunday Times printed an article by Germaine Greer commenting on the Oz media's usual hyperventilating attack on somebody who dares criticise Oz - her in this instance.

Entitled "Meanwhile, back in the cultural desert" we get comments like this:

- "I was reviled as an [Aussie] expatriate, the worst thing you can be (worse even than being a paedophile...)"

- "My English earnings pay 5 Australian subcontractors...if I was being paid at Australian rates I would not be able to pay one..."

- "...highly qualified Australians live and work overseas because conditions in their home country allow no scope for full professional development"

And, something that is so typically Australian - putting their hands or mouths in gear, before they manage to engage their brains - we find that the Sydney Morning Herald journos were quick to criticise Ms Greer, even though they hadn't even bothered to read her article. And that is regarded as a quality Oz newspaper.

Until Oz grows up it will never be taken seriously.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The Daily Mail is nothing more than an anti labour propagandist comic.
A poor excuse for a newspaper.It's only agenda has ever been to support right wing ideals.
I would take anything it prints with a pinch of salt.

If there were a Tory government in power it would no doubt be praising the fact the British workers were in demand worldwide and give the credit to the government.
What a joke.

G
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:45 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Germaine Greer - the pseudo-intellectual's Barrie Humphries. One is a Hissy Fit Chucker, the other a Gladioli Tosser - Pom entertainers both.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:56 pm
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by Megalania
Germaine Greer - the pseudo-intellectual's Barrie Humphries. One is a Hissy Fit Chucker, the other a Gladioli Tosser - Pom entertainers both.
Not unlike your good self

jib
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:06 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jib
Not unlike your good self

jib
Ta. Pseudo-intellectual entertaining is more fun for less work than the real thing, isn't it?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
And the Brit newspapers commented that Aussies have paper-thin self-confidence. Spot on.

As your splenetic comment indicates.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:49 am
Banned

Originally posted by MikeStanton
And the Brit newspapers commented that Aussies have paper-thin self-confidence. Spot on.

As your splenetic comment indicates.
Seems you need the Pongo Press, Greer and Humphries as crutches.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by MikeStanton

- "the outward flow is dramatically increasing...in 2002 reaching 359,000. But - and this must be stressed - an estimated 153,000 more people arrived to live in the UK than left to live elsewhere."
Yes but of that 153,000 152,000 are refugees, dropouts and welfare scroungers as UK has virtually no immigration policy except fingers crossed and hoping they stop comming.

So now you are back in the UK you can look forward to paying higher taxes to support all your new arrivals.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Yes but of that 153,000 152,000 are refugees, dropouts and welfare scroungers as UK has virtually no immigration policy except fingers crossed and hoping they stop comming.

So now you are back in the UK you can look forward to paying higher taxes to support all your new arrivals.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3515677.stm

Please qualify your bullshit.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 8:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul

Romanian electricians without fingers....

Come on Down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.