Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cyclone building off Cairns

Cyclone building off Cairns

Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Cyclone building off Cairns

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

From the Bureau of Met....

TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION BULLETIN
For 1100 EST on Monday the 5th of February 2007

At 10 am EST Monday, Tropical Low central pressure 1003 hPa
was located near latitude 17.0 south, longitude 146.2 east,
which is about 46 km east of Cairns
and 60 km north northeast of Innisfail.
The low is moving southeast at about 3 kilometres per hour
and should gradually intensify over the next 24 hours.

The low is expected to maintain this track over the next few days.

This may produce gale force winds in offshore waters.
Large seas will develop along the coast during the week.

Strong wind and VERY heavy rain down the coast in the Cairns/Innisfail area. Will probably become a cyclone tomorrow.
More to come when I have it.....
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Cyclone building off Cairns

Cheers Pollyana. Take care everyone up there and hold on to your hats.

Mx
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Getting married up there a week Saturday.

Sharon
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God, not another excuse for a banana price hike.

I swear that the banana farmers are paying somebody off to get these cyclones arranged every year.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:19 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

From the Bureau of Met....

For 1100 EST on Monday the 5th of February 2007

At 10 am EST Monday, Tropical Low central pressure 1003 hPa
was located near latitude 17.0 south, longitude 146.2 east,
which is about 46 km east of Cairns
and 60 km north northeast of Innisfail.
The low is moving southeast at about 3 kilometres per hour

The low is expected to maintain this track over the next few days.

Strong wind and VERY heavy rain down the coast in the Cairns/Innisfail area. Will probably become a cyclone tomorrow.
More to come when I have it.....
Batton down the hatches. Be safe up there guys.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The latest we have been told is that it is expected to turn east, away fro the coast, but there is a strong likelihood of it moving down as far as Mackay, parallel to the coast and building to Cat 1 as it does so - that means strong winds and heavy rain down the coast. They can't predict its movements after that, but I'll keep you posted as to whether its expected to affect areas further south.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

The latest we have been told is that it is expected to turn east, away fro the coast, but there is a strong likelihood of it moving down as far as Mackay, parallel to the coast and building to Cat 1 as it does so - that means strong winds and heavy rain down the coast. They can't predict its movements after that, but I'll keep you posted as to whether its expected to affect areas further south.
Having had more than enough rain Cairns over the last few days, hopefully this low will:
Cross the coast further south.
Become a tropical rain depression.
Fill Brisvegas's dams.

I recieved photos taken today at Townsville airport which showed waves on the airfield.

WW
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:53 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Stay safe everyone
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:55 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as you stop it before Brisbane, good luck everyone higher up.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not i am in mackay and its rained on and off for the last few weeks we have just gone through tons of flooding !!! i think i will get that cyclone kit together some time this week! i will keep an eye on this thread thanks pollyana!

lindzixxx
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:03 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Keep safe everyone.
hoping it misses you all!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau
As long as you stop it before Brisbane
Brisbane has had cyclones in the past. There 1906 photos of Cleveland Point having a good bath as a result of storm surge.

Must have been an earlier attempt at global warming.

WW
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:39 am
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

When I lived in Cairns I was in a catagory 3 cyclone,

depending on where you live (I was in Edmonton) it's not really that bad (but then it was only a cat 3 - wouldn't like to be in any above that!!)

Just really windy, rainy, no power and siting around with your family listening to a battery operatated Radio.

is it bad to say it's quite exciting?
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kristyhans
When I lived in Cairns I was in a catagory 3 cyclone,

depending on where you live (I was in Edmonton) it's not really that bad (but then it was only a cat 3 - wouldn't like to be in any above that!!)

Just really windy, rainy, no power and siting around with your family listening to a battery operatated Radio.

is it bad to say it's quite exciting?
A 3 is quite exciting -

a '5', which we had last year, isn't quite so exciting...
Old Feb 5th 2007, 11:14 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

IDQ20065
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland
Tropical Cyclone Warning Centre

For 5:00 pm EST on Monday the 5th of February 2007

At 4 pm EST Monday, Tropical Low central pressure 1000 hPa
was located near latitude 17.0 south, longitude 146.6 east,
which is about 90 km east of Cairns and 85 km northeast of Innisfail.

The low is moving east at about 7 kilometres per hour

The low may develop into a tropical cyclone during the next few days while
moving away from the coast.

It is already moving away from us at quite a speed so I think we should be ok. They do sometimes flip back but they are pretty good at estimating the paths of these things.

The flooding is pretty bad up this way as Ignham have been cut off, Tully and Murray river are over the Bruce highway not allowing any supplies (or very limited supplies) through. I've seent he flooding like that before but the other river that runs through Tully itself has actually come over the road which I haven't seen before even after Larry last year.

The rain has eased a bit but we are still getting a hammering every now and then.

The cyclone that does worry me is the one coming in from NT over the Gulf as that is a cat 1...normally they slow down once they hit land so hopefully it won't be anything too serious just bring in some more bad weather from that side as well, which means more rain!!!

They do have great support up here though if they do think you are going to be hit by a cyclone so my advice to anyone who has just moved here is keep an eye on the BOM website and track the cyclone, if there is one heading your way the radio and Tv stations will also keep you well informed, if you are in any immediate danger the SES will evacuate you but if in doubt speak to the local SES to find out where the local safe meeting place is (usually a local school) and head there in plenty of time.

Don't panic though as a category one is certainly no worse than what you have faced with gales in the UK even up to the lower end of a category 3 can be similar.

It just sounds alot more daunting when it is named a cyclone as opposed to gale forced winds.

And if in doubt do as the Aussies do get a shed load of beer in and enjoy the show

Last edited by snappy; Feb 5th 2007 at 11:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.