Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cut & Run Or Just Run?

Cut & Run Or Just Run?

Old May 2nd 2004, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mazzab2004

The facts from above were shown on "Tonight With Trevor McDonald" but you won't have seen that will you? Of course, I know it's a minority of these people who hold extremist views but the Muslim religion is a very very strong one which they rule their lives by, even those who are born and bred in this country, ie the terrorist suspects they have arrested in Luton. They were born here!!!!!!!!!!!
Only 11 exclamation marks? So what that they were born here? As were some of the IRA bombers and those that protected them - well, that's the extremist religion, Catholicism, for you Last time I looked, UK was still a democracy and they are entitled to their views as long as they don't break the law. I, too, know muslims. And most are very reasonable, not the extremists so beloved of the more hysterical elements of the media.

I see the take over every day when I drive down the road. It is like driving through Iraq.
What take-over? In UK, muslims represent about 3% of the population (compared with ~6%+ in France) . Are you saying that there will be an imman in Number 10 ? It's like Iraq? Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Luton, Falujah, High Wycombe - all are easy to confuse with each other....

I have also lived amongst these people in High Wycombe as a student and was subject to racial abuse in MY OWN COUNTRY!!!
Perhaps not unlike black and Asian people born in UK?

As I said before, I do not have a problem with those wanting to come here to make a go of it, but I think many see this as the land of free and plenty, with benefits, housing, free health care etc, and can you explain why the majority of asylum seekers pass through a dozen safe countries to get here????? Then again who can blame them????
Perhaps, because UK economy is in better shape than most of the other EU states? Research shows that most countries get a net benefit from immigration. Jeez, the only reason that Oz has become more interesting than a closed supermarket is that, in the 1970s, it opened-up immigration to a much more diverse range of races - not just concentrating on little ol' whitey from UK. As for the flood of immigrants to the UK, especially after 10 more countries joined EU, even the Sunday Mirror commented today DELUGE .. WHAT FLOODY DELUGE?
The UK ought to take a leaf out of Australia's book. Look at the strict criterea you come up against. You have to speak the language, be able to support yourself, be skilled, the list goes on..
Please show me any credible research that supports your implied view that an Oz-like approach creates a more successful society. As we know, %age overall unemployment and crime - including murder - are higher in Oz compared with UK. And an increasing % of native-born Aussies are leaving Oz permanently (just check the DIMIA stats)...

I'll also bring up the incident of the ship full of asylum seekers who turned up on Australia's shores and were turned away
Yes, good idea to bring it up. The asylum seekers - desperate men, women and children - were so scary that the Oz government had to send the Australian SAS to turn them away. What a fair match. That little stunt by Oz did a huge amount of damage to its international standing. Imagine if you had been on that boat.
I'm not getting into an argument about this. As I said earlier, these are my views which frankly I think I'm entitled to...and I don't need facts and figures when I see it with my own eyes.
Talking of those pesky muslims, you might want to close your eyes to the Sydney (Lebanese?) gangs that specifically target non-muslim women to rape.

Of course you are entitled to your views. But, the phrase "get a grip" comes to mind.

In the meantime, do you need any assistance with your Oz visa application?
Old May 2nd 2004, 10:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cut & Run Or Just Run?

Well we have had enough and a scarpering now before this country becomes an islamic state.
If you are worried by this, I would be more concerned about Turkey joining the EU. Now that would be dangerous. I don't think a few muslims mouthing off (or even letting off a few bombs), are going to topple our government.
Old May 3rd 2004, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Mike,
you put it so much more eloquently than I ever could.
Here Here (or is it hear hear)?
Thankyou,
Bella

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Only 11 exclamation marks? So what that they were born here? As were some of the IRA bombers and those that protected them - well, that's the extremist religion, Catholicism, for you Last time I looked, UK was still a democracy and they are entitled to their views as long as they don't break the law. I, too, know muslims. And most are very reasonable, not the extremists so beloved of the more hysterical elements of the media.

What take-over? In UK, muslims represent about 3% of the population (compared with ~6%+ in France) . Are you saying that there will be an imman in Number 10 ? It's like Iraq? Ah, yes, I see what you mean. Luton, Falujah, High Wycombe - all are easy to confuse with each other....

Perhaps, because UK economy is in better shape than most of the other EU states? Research shows that most countries get a net benefit from immigration. Jeez, the only reason that Oz has become more interesting than a closed supermarket is that, in the 1970s, it opened-up immigration to a much more diverse range of races - not just concentrating on little ol' whitey from UK. As for the flood of immigrants to the UK, especially after 10 more countries joined EU, even the Sunday Mirror commented today DELUGE .. WHAT FLOODY DELUGE?
Please show me any credible research that supports your implied view that an Oz-like approach creates a more successful society. As we know, %age overall unemployment and crime - including murder - are higher in Oz compared with UK. And an increasing % of native-born Aussies are leaving Oz permanently (just check the DIMIA stats)...

Yes, good idea to bring it up. The asylum seekers - desperate men, women and children - were so scary that the Oz government had to send the Australian SAS to turn them away. What a fair match. That little stunt by Oz did a huge amount of damage to its international standing. Imagine if you had been on that boat.
Talking of those pesky muslims, you might want to close your eyes to the Sydney (Lebanese?) gangs that specifically target non-muslim women to rape.

Of course you are entitled to your views. But, the phrase "get a grip" comes to mind.

Old May 3rd 2004, 3:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The bottle shop thing is a minor inconvenience but still an unnecesary one. I think the situation says more about the wowser larrikin relationship and the corruption of politics by the AHA. Liquor licenses are pretty much dead mans boots and the hotel industry is very keen to keep it that way.
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

estarriol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MikeStanton

I think you've covered pretty much everything I was going to say Mike, thanks for saving me the trouble.

One of my best friends is a Muslim, and he is one of the nicest, most well spoken and well-educated people I know, and he is highly religious. His family are incredibly friendly and kind. It's an eye-opener to me that people who really believe the popular caricatures of Muslims really exist. Extremists are just that - extreme minorities that don't represent their overculture.

You know that all white British people aren't like the National Front, right?
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:16 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by estarriol
You know that all white British people aren't like the National Front, right?
Great line. That just about wraps that up then....
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

mazzab2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
Well Mazzab
Did you say at one point you were thinking of Victoria?

I would avoid Melbourne if I were you. Far too many Indochinese and Asians for you to cope with

You are doing yourself no favours posting those sort of views on here.

Australia is NOT all white and all Christian

Mind you it is full of immigrants

And YOU will be one

G
Someone asked me why my husband was so fed up with the UK and I explained the main reason and was attacked for my point of view...
My view is that everyone should be given a go if they're prepared to work and contribute to our economy. Many don't, either because they can't speak the language or are illegal immigrants.
Haven't you heard of the recent farce of the government letting one legged roof tilers in etc? No wander people have strong feelings. This argument branches out into many areas and as usual, I am branded as racist for airing my views which is why the right wing parties are gaining seats.
I don't have a problem with Australia being multi cultural. I know it is. But Australia expects you to work and contribute to their economy. Not to be a drain on their resources.
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:05 pm

Someone asked me why my husband was so fed up with the UK and I explained the main reason and was attacked for my point of view...
My view is that everyone should be given a go if they're prepared to work and contribute to our economy. Many don't, either because they can't speak the language or are illegal immigrants.
Haven't you heard of the recent farce of the government letting one legged roof tilers in etc? No wander people have strong feelings. This argument branches out into many areas and as usual, I am branded as racist for airing my views which is why the right wing parties are gaining seats.
I don't have a problem with Australia being multi cultural. I know it is. But Australia expects you to work and contribute to their economy. Not to be a drain on their resources.
Australians complain about the same crap and for a while QLDs redkneck pin up was very popular. The right wing parties are gaining seats because of the rediculous propaganda that goes on. I have heard many a time here "it is a crime to be white in the UK". The silly repitition of such remarks is what is fuelling the right wing and the BNP is loving it. Last time I looked on the news no one was being locked up for being white in the UK. No one called you racist.

Anyhow as you don't like facts whats the point. Your post was rediculed because it was rediculous and maybe you should relook at why you are emigrating.
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:09 pm

Default Re: Cut & Run Or Just Run?

Originally posted by Amazulu
If you are worried by this, I would be more concerned about Turkey joining the EU. Now that would be dangerous. I don't think a few muslims mouthing off (or even letting off a few bombs), are going to topple our government.
Until Turkey sorts out its human rights issues I doubt the nation will be let into the EU. The British government has been the target of a few bombs and each incident has only hardened the nations resolve.

Europes borders are enourmous and easily penetrated so I doubt Turkeys inclusions to the EU would increase the risks of terror.