Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Customs and Electronics

Customs and Electronics

Old Dec 7th 2011, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Vandergoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs and Electronics

I flying to Sydney next week to spend Christmas with my sister and cousins and taking along some Christmas gifts as well as some of my own belongings.

Gifts - Ipad2, Iphone 4, some childrens toys.

My stuff -Phone, laptop, Camera all of which I will be taking home with me

Will I have to pay anything when I go through customs.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 7:34 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs and Electronics

To some extent it will depend on the Christmas spirit of the Customs officer checking you through. They don't worry about small value stuff but your gifts are probably worth over $900 and as such are theoretically liable for duty.

Your own stuff will not be a problem as long as it is a year old or you are re-exporting it later. Just don't make a false declaration on the customs card - if you do and they find out you won't have a Merry Christmas!

Last edited by KJCherokee; Dec 7th 2011 at 7:37 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:36 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vandergoug
...with my sister and cousins...

Are you travelling with someone else that you could give one of them the iPad2 present to bring in?

That way you should be able to get in under the $1000 limit.

Other option, send one of them by mail.

Plus, can I be a relative of yours?
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Plus, can I be a relative of yours?
You fancy a childrens toy then?
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vandergoug
I flying to Sydney next week to spend Christmas with my sister and cousins and taking along some Christmas gifts as well as some of my own belongings.

My stuff -Phone, laptop, Camera all of which I will be taking home with me

Will I have to pay anything when I go through customs.
My experience of coming through customs many times with way too much electronics, gadgets etc is that they don't give a shit.

Try and bring a banana through though.............
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
My experience of coming through customs many times with way too much electronics, gadgets etc is that they don't give a shit.

Try and bring a banana through though.............

Haha
Old Dec 8th 2011, 9:59 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
That way you should be able to get in under the $1000 limit.

Check the Customs website - the limit is $900, not $1000. The $1000 limit applies to goods imported from overseas by mail.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Declare everything on your form and then look shocked when they mention that you're liable for GST. Thats what I did with a laptop valued at $1500 and they said 'well you were clearly being honest with us as you marked it all on your form so I'll let you off on the GST'.

But be sure to declare it as otherwise they will make you pay it.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

manumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nice

I too am planning to bring over my toys - PS3, Wii, Laptop, Bose lifestyle, 2 camcorders. However, all these are used ones (1-3 years old). Should I be worried about customs ??
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:06 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

Originally Posted by manumani
I too am planning to bring over my toys - PS3, Wii, Laptop, Bose lifestyle, 2 camcorders. However, all these are used ones (1-3 years old). Should I be worried about customs ??
No.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

So do uk electricals work ok in OZ then is the voltage the same?? Do they need a different plug?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
So do uk electricals work ok in OZ then is the voltage the same?? Do they need a different plug?
They work, same voltage and frequency. Need to change plugs.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Vandergoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I think my best option is to declare everything and hope for the best.