Reload this Page >

Curtains......worth taking??!?!

Curtains......worth taking??!?!

Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

andysarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Curtains......worth taking??!?!

Hi guys,

Just a quick question! We are working out what to take with us and what to leave. Will standard curtains fit windows in Oz? Are they worth taking? We are talking normal standard 3 pane size. Or should we leave them with the house for the new owners? (Not expensive curtains by the way so would be happy to leave them if they won't fit) Any thoughts?!

Ta
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:09 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curtains......worth taking??!?!

prob best not to - could get older house with large windows, could get place with blinds/shutters, rooms with lot of windows ie end up not matching.

use then as bargining tool at sale - ie not included in sales price but you can have for $$$
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:20 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

When you buy a house in Oz you get all the curtains/shutters/blinds automatically and most rentals will have blinds/curtains already - to be honest they would be way down my list of priorities to take but if you have particularly good curtains and plenty of space then I guess you could put them in.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. We don't have much to take to be honest. Because of having very young kids, and a very small house we have not got any furniture that is really worth anything. Mostly kids stuff will be going, cots, high chairs, mini beds that sort of thing plus toys too of course!

Our sofa is mega old so not worth taking! All white goods are being taken by our buyers, as is our wardrobe. A few chest of drawers will be going, personal stuff like a few pictures and photos etc and household items. Our bed is going to the tip as we hate it, certainly not going to ship it to the other side of the world thats for sure so we would certainly have room for curtains, but sounds like we won't really need them so could offer them to our buyers.

Is there anything that you would recommend we take? Things that are more expensive in Oz than here or things that in hindsight you wished you had taken?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:51 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andysarah
Thanks guys. We don't have much to take to be honest. Because of having very young kids, and a very small house we have not got any furniture that is really worth anything. Mostly kids stuff will be going, cots, high chairs, mini beds that sort of thing plus toys too of course!

Our sofa is mega old so not worth taking! All white goods are being taken by our buyers, as is our wardrobe. A few chest of drawers will be going, personal stuff like a few pictures and photos etc and household items. Our bed is going to the tip as we hate it, certainly not going to ship it to the other side of the world thats for sure so we would certainly have room for curtains, but sounds like we won't really need them so could offer them to our buyers.

Is there anything that you would recommend we take? Things that are more expensive in Oz than here or things that in hindsight you wished you had taken?
To be honest after bringing everything we owned, I would say bring everything. Its not just the cost of replacing things its the fact that you have your own things around you in lets face it a very stressful time.
Curtains I must admit havn't made it out the box since arriving, had had no need what so ever for them and don't think we ever will. Glad I bought lots of picnic bits, a lettuce spinner from Woolies! so expensive silly things like that really. Glad I had a load of new knickers and bra's as I still haven't figured out the sizes over here, cheap cuttlery sets for bbq use. Really some really silly things, my food mixer thats one thing I am glad I bought with me and the washing machine!
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:04 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I would certainly buy some bedding before you come or if you have loads take it - it seems particularly hard to find reasonably priced fitted sheets - for most good deals you have to buy a sheet set which always includes a flat sheet as well as a fitted sheet which we never use. I'm really glad I bought the kids bedding with me and really wish I'd bought some for us too. You can get nice bedding here but it just seems expensive - in shops like Big W and Target which are like Woolworths/Argos in the UK you pay the same as you would pay for a set from Next or John Lewis in the UK.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi guys,

Just a quick question! We are working out what to take with us and what to leave. Will standard curtains fit windows in Oz? Are they worth taking? We are talking normal standard 3 pane size. Or should we leave them with the house for the new owners? (Not expensive curtains by the way so would be happy to leave them if they won't fit) Any thoughts?!

Ta
I would bring them. Curtains are hard to find over here (in Perth anyway) and are expensive.

Last edited by Nu-Shooz; Aug 20th 2007 at 10:35 am.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Hubby is flatly refusing to take the sofa. It is quite old, but thats is not so much of a problem as it doesn't mater so much if the kids puke on it He kind of inherited it from me when we got together and he hates it, don't know why, but it is definately not coming!!!#

Was thinking of stocking up on undies, towels and sheets etc, so will definately do that. Am taking all kitchen equipment,cutlery, cooking stuff etc etc especially my food processor. Could'nt live without it now!
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:00 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
When you buy a house in Oz you get all the curtains/shutters/blinds automatically and most rentals will have blinds/curtains already - to be honest they would be way down my list of priorities to take but if you have particularly good curtains and plenty of space then I guess you could put them in.

When we bought our house they took the nice curtains and left us with the crappy floral job. We brought everything with us and glad we did.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:29 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

No - don't bother with the curtains but duvet sets would be a good idea as they do seem expensive here like someone else already mentioned. Mattress sizes are slightly different to the UK and there is such a variety in mattress depth over here (due to "feather tops") so probably best not to get fitted sheets until you know what kind of mattress you'll end up with.

B
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought only my old dear talked about valances and fitted sheets. I wouldn't know one corner from another.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 11:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I would bring them. Curtains are hard to find over here (in Perth anyway) and are expensive.
I agree bring them. I have just had a quote for 2 blinds for the kitchen and curtains for 2 windows in my family room - $2000!
Old Aug 20th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
I agree bring them. I have just had a quote for 2 blinds for the kitchen and curtains for 2 windows in my family room - $2000!
But if you are heading to Perth remember that the nasty daylight saving will only fade them dreadfully! ;-)
Old Aug 20th 2007, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Hi guys,

Ta
I had some childrens curtains from Next and I am glad I brought them with me. They will fit the windows in our new house and will help dress the room. We threw quite a bit of stuff. Wish we hadn't to some extent. I would definatley stock up on bed linen. We have cot/beds and its going to be a bit of a hunt to find the sizes of sheets and duvets etc. You have to remember it is not just about the cost of replaces its finding the time to replace it. It takes a little longer to shop in WA!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
But if you are heading to Perth remember that the nasty daylight saving will only fade them dreadfully! ;-)
Thermal backed curtains are a must if in direct sunlight, they will protect your curtains as well as blocking out the sun. You can get thermal backing in varying degrees of sun blockage.