Reload this Page >

curry in a hurry !!!!!!!! help

curry in a hurry !!!!!!!! help

Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:15 am
Just Joined

a costelo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default curry in a hurry !!!!!!!! help

HELP AM IN NEED OF A GOOD CURRY.....LIKE MANY BRITS I
WAS A REGULAR AT MY LOCAL CURRY HOUSE HOWEVER SINCE ARRIVING IN MELBOURNE 3MONTHS AGO HAVE NOT FOUND ONE
DECENT CURRY HOUSE...IM HAVING SERIOUS CRAVINGS.!!!!
I TRIED THE CURRY CLUB IN RICHMOND LAST WEEKEND AFTER
RAVE REVIEWS FROM LOCALS ...ALAS JUST THE SAME BLAND
BRIGHT RED CONCOCTION !!!!!
WOULD APPRECIATE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FROM ANY BRITS THIS TIME ?????
Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:20 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curry in a hurry !!!!!!!! help

Originally posted by a costelo
WAS A REGULAR AT MY LOCAL CURRY HOUSE HOWEVER SINCE ARRIVING IN MELBOURNE 3MONTHS AGO HAVE NOT FOUND ONE

Whooaaa, stop SHOUTING. I think you'll struggle to find a British version of curry, this is after all Australia. I know of 2 or 3 very good ones in Brisbane but don't know Melbourne too well. I believe there is one opposite the Grand Hyatt and also one close to Federation Square, oh and one quite close to the Westin Hotel too. Unfortunately not tried these out yet.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:39 am
Just Joined

a costelo is an unknown quantity at this point

....sorry for shouting Jay hope this is better...thanks for your suggestions will give them a go and report back !!!!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 9:06 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

From my experiance of curry's in Australia I would give up on the idea that you are gonna get a decent one made for you and make one yourself.

Most supermarkets do the Pataks Curry pastes, get a load of chicken, your choice of paste (the butter chicken is lovely), some onions and a tonne of cream and get cooking. They are honestly lovely.

Kala
Old Jul 21st 2004, 9:07 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by jayr
Whooaaa, stop SHOUTING. I think you'll struggle to find a British version of curry, this is after all Australia. I know of 2 or 3 very good ones in Brisbane but don't know Melbourne too well. I believe there is one opposite the Grand Hyatt and also one close to Federation Square, oh and one quite close to the Westin Hotel too. Unfortunately not tried these out yet.

Yup, I have come across one decent one in Brisbane too (had to try a lot to find it though )
Old Jul 21st 2004, 9:09 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Sharwoods is also available in some places too.

I am nearly driven to the point where i shall phone up my ex local curry house in UK and ask the manager for the recipes and open up a new chain of restaurants called "The Great British Curry House"!!

Only one problem.......... i cant cook an egg :scared:
Old Jul 21st 2004, 11:00 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

mlbonner and jayr, any chance you could let us know where the good curry places are in Brisbane please? Might have to go along to one soon - they are just not the same here as in the UK.

Thanks, Dawn
Old Jul 21st 2004, 11:07 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

For anyone heading in the direction of Perth you need have no worries about a good curry. NineMarys in the centre of Perth is without doubt one of the finest Indian restaurants I have ever been in. (www.ninemarys.com.au) It has only been open about three months, and is always busy.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 11:08 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by dmf
mlbonner and jayr, any chance you could let us know where the good curry places are in Brisbane please? Might have to go along to one soon - they are just not the same here as in the UK.

Thanks, Dawn

The one I've been to a couple of times is in Albion (about 3 train stops out of the CBD I think) forgotten the name, but its quite large, on the righthand side of Sandgate Road as you drive through from the city, carpark on the left. Could be called the Sitar??
I have also been recommmended by several people one in Melbourne St, just by Southbank I think. Not been but am intending to on my return!!

Tonight I am having chinese, tomorrow I am having curry (great diet hey) as I leave on Monday and want a last feed
Old Jul 21st 2004, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by CadburysFingers
For anyone heading in the direction of Perth you need have no worries about a good curry. NineMarys in the centre of Perth is without doubt one of the finest Indian restaurants I have ever been in. (www.ninemarys.com.au) It has only been open about three months, and is always busy.
Looks great will try it.....
Old Jul 21st 2004, 11:38 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

I mentioned this problem today at work and was informed by work colleagues that the place to go for a excellent curry is SHIRAAZ on the Burwood Rd in upper Ferntree Gully...it is supposed to be the best one around and attracts all the poms and vips when they are in Aussie on business... we have booked a table for this weekend so will let you know what it is like...
Old Jul 21st 2004, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Nirankar on Queen Street in the CBD a few times while working in Melbourne. It's not cheap by local standard, but is one of the best known Indian restaurants in town. They do very very nice dishes, meat or vegetarian. Service is good most of the times but tricky if there's a new waiter/waitress. JTL doesn't like coriander and the chef was very happy to not put any in his food.

Location and menu are on their web site:
http://www.nirankar.com.au/

They also offer take-away, but if you eat in you can't ask for a doggy bag for your leftovers. This, I was told, was due to food hygiene.

As for the clientele - I've seen Indian families having birthday celebration, as well as Brits and Australians just enjoying a business dinner or family meal there.

I highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 21st 2004, 2:34 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by kala
From my experiance of curry's in Australia I would give up on the idea that you are gonna get a decent one made for you and make one yourself.

Most supermarkets do the Pataks Curry pastes, get a load of chicken, your choice of paste (the butter chicken is lovely), some onions and a tonne of cream and get cooking. They are honestly lovely.

Kala
Oh come on! You just cant get a decent curry from a jar!!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya guys

this topic keeps reappearing from time to time!! As I've said before, we too have missed the good old british curry and tried many many curry places here with no success.

My hubby's mate sent him possibly the greatest book ever (particularly for the curry connoiseur!) The Curry Secret (Indian restaurant cookery at home) by Kris Dhillon....we now indulge ourselves in curries....well far too much actually. In fact between Yvsie, The Woods and us we pretty much have got the curries down pat now.

And hands off the restaurant idea....that was mine and yvsies first!!

BUT seriously, BUY the book and you'll never miss your curry again. If I could be bothered I'd type up the basic curry sauce recipe for you, but it's late here and I can't...so I'm not gonna!! Maybe tomorrow!!

love sophia xxx
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:12 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sophia
hiya guys

this topic keeps reappearing from time to time!! As I've said before, we too have missed the good old british curry and tried many many curry places here with no success.

My hubby's mate sent him possibly the greatest book ever (particularly for the curry connoiseur!) The Curry Secret (Indian restaurant cookery at home) by Kris Dhillon....we now indulge ourselves in curries....well far too much actually. In fact between Yvsie, The Woods and us we pretty much have got the curries down pat now.

And hands off the restaurant idea....that was mine and yvsies first!!

BUT seriously, BUY the book and you'll never miss your curry again. If I could be bothered I'd type up the basic curry sauce recipe for you, but it's late here and I can't...so I'm not gonna!! Maybe tomorrow!!

love sophia xxx
Never heard of that one. Just ordered it - thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.