Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Curry in Adelaide!

Curry in Adelaide!

Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

stephix26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Curry in Adelaide!

I noticed the "Melbourne Curry Conundrum" thread and thought I'd start one for Adelaide since it took me a long time there to find somewhere to go for a nice curry!

I eventually found The Balti House on Goodwood Road, the owner of which is an Indian man from Birmingham in the UK. The food is lovely, and he is very friendly. Although I did find it very amusing that everytime we went there to eat, it seemed to be full of English people!

Anyone else have any opinions on curry in Adelaide?!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:27 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curry in Adelaide!

I love the British India on the corner of Gouger and Morphett Streets (address is 270 Morphett). Great flavours, although since I haven't eaten in a UK curry house for 30 years I can't say how they will suit an English palate.

When I lived in Adelaide we often ate at the Indian restaurant at the top of the hill in Belair. Can't remember the name: it was run by an English husband who did front-of-house and his Indian wife who ran the kitchen, and the food was great.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jan 7th 2012 at 9:31 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

desperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nice

do they taste anywhere near like the curries we get back at home?

as ive found all the indian curries i have tried since being here are generally very poor in comparison.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperately

as ive found all the indian curries i have tried since being here are generally very poor in comparison.
depends if you go to an Indian curry house or a British curry house. The British ones are made for the Brit palate, Indian ones are more like the ones you'd get in India.

I don't eat either
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

A bunch of us went to Beyond India in North Adelaide last year when I was over and loved it. http://www.beyondindia.net.au/about.html Looks like they have a Modbury site, too.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:19 am
Just Joined

stephix26 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Balti House on Goodwood Road is the closest one I have found to tasting like a British curry! I loved it there!

I havent tried some of the others listed here though, good to test them all out!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Curry in Adelaide!

Jasmin has a very good reputation. Haven't tried it yet, but probably will this year. It's run by a Sikh family and the menu is North Indian style.

Have you tried asking the Indians here in Australia why they don't make curries which taste like the ones made by Indians in the UK?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:45 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I love the British India on the corner of Gouger and Morphett Streets (address is 270 Morphett). Great flavours, although since I haven't eaten in a UK curry house for 30 years I can't say how they will suit an English palate.

When I lived in Adelaide we often ate at the Indian restaurant at the top of the hill in Belair. Can't remember the name: it was run by an English husband who did front-of-house and his Indian wife who ran the kitchen, and the food was great.
+1 for The British India......IIRC it has two different dining rooms, one fairly formal and the other relaxed with bean bags!!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:47 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

What you have to realise is that ALL cooking styles are modified, when exported from their country of origin, to appeal to the local customers. So the Indian curry you get in the UK will differ from the Indian curry you get in Kuala Lumpur, Toronto, Houston, Singapore, Kurdistan, Saudi Arabia and Brisbane (to name some of the places I have eaten curry!). Saudi was probably the closest to a true Indian restaurant as it catered almost exclusively for Indian expat workers.

Also if you talk to an Indian he will point out to you that the tastes and cooking styles will differ depending on what part of India the chef comes from - south or north being the main divisions with many variations between.

So if you want a curry (and I've assumed we are talking about Indian curry, not Thai or Sri Lankan which are different again) which is just like the ones you had in Guildford or Bradford (and the chances are that there is a significant difference between those two) you need to find a restaurant close to a large English expat community. Either that, or learn to appreciate the style of food offered in your chosen place of residence.

Happy eating!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

desperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nicedesperately is just really nice

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
What you have to realise is that ALL cooking styles are modified, when exported from their country of origin, to appeal to the local customers. So the Indian curry you get in the UK will differ from the Indian curry you get in Kuala Lumpur, Toronto, Houston, Singapore, Kurdistan, Saudi Arabia and Brisbane (to name some of the places I have eaten curry!). Saudi was probably the closest to a true Indian restaurant as it catered almost exclusively for Indian expat workers.

Also if you talk to an Indian he will point out to you that the tastes and cooking styles will differ depending on what part of India the chef comes from - south or north being the main divisions with many variations between.

So if you want a curry (and I've assumed we are talking about Indian curry, not Thai or Sri Lankan which are different again) which is just like the ones you had in Guildford or Bradford (and the chances are that there is a significant difference between those two) you need to find a restaurant close to a large English expat community. Either that, or learn to appreciate the style of food offered in your chosen place of residence.

Happy eating!
Wow some genuinely insightful comments from the curry experts.

Having been to India im aware that the curries you get there are different in taste to what you get back home.

i asked if the curries dished up at the baltihouse tasted anything like a curry back home - because that is what im looking for.

If i wanted your bog standard aussie butter chicken i wouldnt have bothered asking.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow some genuinely insightful comments from the curry experts.

Having been to India im aware that the curries you get there are different in taste to what you get back home.

i asked if the curries dished up at the baltihouse tasted anything like a curry back home - because that is what im looking for.

If i wanted your bog standard aussie butter chicken i wouldnt have bothered asking.
Thing is...where is 'back home' for you? you don't say!?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Thing is...where is 'back home' for you? you don't say!?
England - with this forum being called "british expats" i thought.....
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

England - with this forum being called "british expats" i thought.....
Lots of other nationalities on here too. Especially Indian and Pakistani

I have gotten into trouble before for assuming, so I don't do that anymore :
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Indian Temptation, 490 Main North Road, Blair Athol, genuine Indian food, a lot of the local Indian population eat there.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
Lots of other nationalities on here too. Especially Indian and Pakistani

I have gotten into trouble before for assuming, so I don't do that anymore :
Thought it would have been obvious he was English, with his interest in a curry thread,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.