Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Current situation for IT professionals

Current situation for IT professionals

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Lou78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current situation for IT professionals

for those applying for migrants visa in IT, what has been your experience so far re jobs available at the moment? are there many around in sydney? i was reading that there are too many IT professionals looking for jobs and with the way the economy is at the moment a lot of migrants are still without a job.
and if they find a job, it is a demotion and a lot less pay.

i am trying to find away for my partner to come to oz but i know she won't come if it means as big demotion for her or if it will be impossible for her to find a job (she has a good job in ireland)

cheers
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:12 am
Just Joined

admoghal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current situation for IT professionals

Originally Posted by Lou78
for those applying for migrants visa in IT, what has been your experience so far re jobs available at the moment? are there many around in sydney? i was reading that there are too many IT professionals looking for jobs and with the way the economy is at the moment a lot of migrants are still without a job.

i am trying to find away for my partner to come to oz but i know she won't come if it means as big demotion for her or if it will be impossible for her to find a job (she has a good job in ireland)

cheers
I am also moving sydney in May.. Iam also keen to know about this
I am also relating to IT Professional(web developmnet)
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Take a look here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596547
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:13 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

cheers
Define "IT professional". Systems engineer? Software engineer? Embedded? Web? Open source or Microsoft skills? GIS? Finance? Computer repair? Support?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

I recently worked at a major bank in Sydney. I was amazed at the extent of offshoring IT work and even more so at this onshore/offshore model. Basically every IT job had to be offshored, special permission was required to hire locally.
Most IT people in the office where onshored rather than local staff and then there were huge numbers offshore.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
The Australian software development company I work for recently announced a recruitment freeze. They employ approx 700 staff around Australia, Asia and the UK. Last year we employed approx 80 new people.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:49 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I recently worked at a major bank in Sydney. I was amazed at the extent of offshoring IT work and even more so at this onshore/offshore model. Basically every IT job had to be offshored, special permission was required to hire locally.
Most IT people in the office where onshored rather than local staff and then there were huge numbers offshore.
Ah, so one bank in Sydney is therefore setting the tone for the entire IT industry?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:54 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by benlast
Ah, so one bank in Sydney is therefore setting the tone for the entire IT industry?
Not setting the tone, a lot of other large companies are already doing similar things.

I worked for a company last year that had offshored all 1st/2nd line support, and us engineers working on projects had to also help out when the offshore guys could not provide the answers.

Where I am working now (Ericsson, supporting Hutchison/3) a lot of the engineering has gone and been replaced by onshore guys, and the onshore company is putting a bid together to take the support work too.

Last edited by MarkMC; Mar 12th 2009 at 11:57 am.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Pretty much all banks operate along this model now. Other business units also being looked at for offshoring.

Government work still tied to using local staff I believe.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:03 pm
ddb
Forum Regular

ddb is an unknown quantity at this point

Define "IT professional". Systems engineer? Software engineer? Embedded? Web? Open source or Microsoft skills? GIS? Finance? Computer repair? Support?
DBA (Database Administrator).
SQL Server DBA to be exact. Any ideas, how is the market for them?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Government work still tied to using local staff I believe.
I was wrong. Nathan Rees under fire as New South Wales government contracts send more jobs to China
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

dmpp will become famous soon enough

The onshore/offshore depends on the type of IT. If you work closely with the business eg. erp system then you will probably need to be where the business people are for business process questions, testing etc but if you develop code from a spec and are removed from the business or the server can be remotely placed then your job will be easier to place offshore.

There is still IT work in Sydney, in erp anyway, if you have the right skills as employers are being more picky but the biggest hurdle is probably getting past the it illiterate recruitment agents.

But if you look at the recruitment web sites eg. jobserve etc there are a lot less vacancies.

Basically if you have a job already don't pack it in unless you have found another because if you are out of work for 6 months or more in the IT world this could end your career as employers may ask why are you not employed and not hire you thus more time unemployed and less chance of work and no experience of the newest technologies.

Last edited by dmpp; Mar 13th 2009 at 3:05 am.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:16 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a market for SQL Server DBAs. I know someone who works for a bank and half the IT staff are being laid off. Where I work all contractors are gone and we are still under review. At my office a third of staff will be gone soon. It is not dead out there but life is not good.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:46 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
There is a market for SQL Server DBAs. I know someone who works for a bank and half the IT staff are being laid off. Where I work all contractors are gone and we are still under review. At my office a third of staff will be gone soon. It is not dead out there but life is not good.
That would be ANZ i take it ? Currently they have 3,000 people in their Bangalore campus, with another 500 mainly IT backoffice jobs to go from Melbourne to there before the end of this year (across all platforms : mainframes, servers, messaging, networks, database, storage)

http://business.theage.com.au/busine...0313-8ww1.html

I have to say I do find it rather ironic that there are some PR emigrants coming here from India finding that all of the jobs are back in the country from where they came. Sure, they may pay twice as much here as they do in Bangalore, but thats not much good to you if you can't find a job here ;-)
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

There are jobs, although less of them and a lot more people applying. Whether organisations are off-shoring/outsourcing/recruiting/hiring really depends on the specific IT profession in question. It's best to try and network, use the recruitment sites and also sites such as linkedin.com and facebook to get to know as many people as you can.

If anyone is looking for jobs or asking questions on the forums I'd recommend that they are specific as to which area of IT they work in, you may find some people on the forum are recruiting e.g. I'm looking for a Business Analyst.

good luck to all

regards

Alex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.