Reload this Page >

Current rental market in Sydney

Current rental market in Sydney

Old Jul 13th 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

rmat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current rental market in Sydney

Hi all,

I'm moving out to Sydney with my partner. However, due to work circumstances (we both have jobs set up) I'm flying out a couple of months before him (mid-September) and setting up (lucky him!). We were out in January checking out where we want to stay and are looking at Tamarama. I've got a few questions which I'm hoping people who are already out there/just done the move might be able to help with. There is a few but any help would be really great

- Is the rental market still a nightmare? i.e. are there still loads of people going for the same places?
- If it isn't a nightmare, is it typical to negotiate on the rental prices that are shown on websites such as domain.com.au? And how much is typical to start negotiations (below advertised price) at?
- For all the documents that you need (which I note from other postings are: passports, driving licence, letter of offer from employer, letter of reference from former landlord), will I need documents for the 2 of us (i.e. will I need copies of my partners documents as well)?
- what bills are normally included in rentals (e.g. do landlords normally pay water rates, if there's any form of council tax do they pay that)?
- if the place comes with a pool, can you typically ask for the landlord to pay for someone to clean it and if not, how much should we budget?
- do all rental places come without white goods?
- is there anything I can do in advance of moving out to Sydney that I can do to help make things a little easier?

Thanks so much in advance! Am slightly daunted by having to find somewhere, furnish it etc. on my own so any help is really appreciated.

B
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current rental market in Sydney

I'm not a renter but I am a landlord in the eastern suburbs. I'll answer what I can.

Originally Posted by rmat
- Is the rental market still a nightmare? i.e. are there still loads of people going for the same places?

Can't really say. I have a feeling the rental situation has eased slightly. We don't get any headline news items about renters queueing down the street any more.

- If it isn't a nightmare, is it typical to negotiate on the rental prices that are shown on websites such as domain.com.au? And how much is typical to start negotiations (below advertised price) at?

I wouldn't say it was typical to negotiate at all. The only time it would be acceptable is when you're the only applicant for a property. Probably not very likely to happen.

- For all the documents that you need (which I note from other postings are: passports, driving licence, letter of offer from employer, letter of reference from former landlord), will I need documents for the 2 of us (i.e. will I need copies of my partners documents as well)?

Just rent the property in your name, then you only need one set of documents.

- what bills are normally included in rentals (e.g. do landlords normally pay water rates, if there's any form of council tax do they pay that)?

No council tax. Landlord pays rates and water rates and strata fees (maintenance levy). In some cases you might be liable for any excess water charges.

- if the place comes with a pool, can you typically ask for the landlord to pay for someone to clean it and if not, how much should we budget?

There probably are some houses with pools for rent in Tamarama but they'd be few and far between and no doubt extremely expensive. If you were to find one then you'd be responsible for looking after it. You might find that the rent includes pool maintenance by an outside contractor - or you might be expected to do it yourself. No idea of cost but I don't think it's something that you need to worry about. If you can afford the rent on a house with a pool in Tamarama then you can probably afford to look after it .

Some apartment blocks have a pool on site which is shared by everyone who lives there. In places like that pool maintenance is included in the overall maintenance charge which the landlord pays for.

- do all rental places come without white goods?

Everywhere has cooking facilities - cooktop, oven. Some places will have a dishwasher. Very few would have laundry equipment. Nowhere has a fridge.

- is there anything I can do in advance of moving out to Sydney that I can do to help make things a little easier?

Can only suggest that you get your ID and reference paperwork ready in advance.
B
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61)

Having a job before arrival is a miracle these days.... good on you and well done!! Just out of curiosity, what profession are you in and how did you manage the job hunting process? Sorry, I am not helping at all on your original question, more for ignorance than intention.