Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Curious thought about Melbourne....

Curious thought about Melbourne....

Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:25 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Curious thought about Melbourne....

I was wondering about all you peeps in Melbourne.....(especially the Scots!).

It's not that I'm unhappy here in Brisbane just plodding through and wondered what the attraction was with Melbourne. Here in Brisbane it's Manly with the marina, pubs and life in general.

So if you don't mind sharing which burb area do you stay and why....

Thanks a million

Ginny
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:44 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Curious thought about Melbourne....

Originally Posted by Stitch

It's not that I'm unhappy here in Brisbane just plodding through and wondered what the attraction was with Melbourne. Here in Brisbane it's Manly with the marina, pubs and life in general.

Thanks a million

Ginny
I am in Beaumaris - great for getting to the better bayside beaches, easy access to the City both by road and train. Two good shopping centres in easy reach (if you like that sort of thing). Great local food shopping including organic meats and vegetables. Fantastic riding and running along Beach Road and nice family location with lots of parks and green areas.

We also get the seasons which is marvellous. This autumn has been wonderful so far and today is no exception. In fact I am waiting for the OH to get out the shower and we are going for a long walk to Mordialloc for coffee and then a lovely stroll back.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:47 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I am in Beaumaris - great for getting to the better bayside beaches, easy access to the City both by road and train. Two good shopping centres in easy reach (if you like that sort of thing). Great local food shopping including organic meats and vegetables. Fantastic riding and running along Beach Road and nice family location with lots of parks and green areas.

We also get the seasons which is marvellous. This autumn has been wonderful so far and today is no exception. In fact I am waiting for the OH to get out the shower and we are going for a long walk to Mordialloc for coffee and then a lovely stroll back.

Wow, sounds idilic......thanks very much for sharing.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a million

Ginny
Beaumaris for me also. Fabulous. Just off for a cycle with the kids and then to Ricketts Point for skim boarding. I'll be watching not participating I hasten to add.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:35 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

You thinking of joining the Scots Lassies in Melbourne Ginny?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:10 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Ferntree Gully for me, like Vanessa the seasons are a big plus for us to.

Always something going on, the other weekend we stayed in the city & went to World Swimming Championships, then next night off to Miss Saigon then Sunday we met a Scottish couple at the pub & watched the footy.

Gawd knows how we got home.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

That's a decent stroll from Beaumaris to Mordy! Nice walk the other way to Sandy or Brighton too. Great area.

OzTennis
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Ferntree Gully for me, like Vanessa the seasons are a big plus for us to.

Always something going on, the other weekend we stayed in the city & went to World Swimming Championships, then next night off to Miss Saigon then Sunday we met a Scottish couple at the pub & watched the footy.

Gawd knows how we got home.
Did you go today to the Anzac Day game? My mother was telling me on the phone how she was watching on TV and much to her annoyance the Pies won! She said, sadly, James Hird is a bit past it now too. Not a good start for the Bullies, 2 and 2 though.

OzTennis
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:45 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Did you go today to the Anzac Day game? My mother was telling me on the phone how she was watching on TV and much to her annoyance the Pies won! She said, sadly, James Hird is a bit past it now too. Not a good start for the Bullies, 2 and 2 though.

OzTennis
No couldn't go so gave Hevs my membership card so she could go. Bombers had to play Pies plus the umpires.
I'm afraid Hirdy is a little past it as your mum says.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:49 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by herrchook
You thinking of joining the Scots Lassies in Melbourne Ginny?
I read a post about a family who aint got a lot but seem really happy where they are......just gets you thinking it might be the place???

Hey if I did that would be a sight!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I read a post about a family who aint got a lot but seem really happy where they are......just gets you thinking it might be the place???

Hey if I did that would be a sight!

Cheers

Ginny
Having been to Brisbane three times (but only once with immigrants eyes) and Melbourne once, we chose Melbourne. I think Brisbane, and particularly its surrounding areas, is a fantastic place to holiday, and we look forward to some holidays in QLD. For day to day life Melbourne just seemed to fit us better, so we'll have to see come July whether we were right!

Buzzy
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:56 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Thanks everyone for your points of view.

Really appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Melbourne, although I have not lived in any other Australian city to compare. We have visited all major cities several times and some not so big places and I often have stayed in different places with work.

To me Melbourne is a scaled down, nicer version of London. it has:
-theatres
-lots of restaurants
-festivals galore (- Comedy fest is about to start and runs for 3 weeks, there is an alternative film fest etc),
-bay beaches are nice,
- lots of wineries an hour or so outside the city,
- I think public transport is good;
-lots of bike paths;
-skiing (well if there is enough snow);
-4 seasons, but doesn't stay overly hot (generally) for too many days at a time, nor too cold.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:52 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
That's a decent stroll from Beaumaris to Mordy! Nice walk the other way to Sandy or Brighton too. Great area.

OzTennis

I know. I usually run to Brighton Sea Baths on a Sunday morning and then have a coffee while I wait for the OH to pick me up!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know. I usually run to Brighton Sea Baths on a Sunday morning and then have a coffee while I wait for the OH to pick me up!
Good spot for a coffee there (downstairs), nice restaurant upstairs, great fish and chip shop across the road, good website too!

http://www.middlebrightonbaths.com.au/main/home.htm

(when back home), we run along the seafront at Williamstown (Strand, Nelson Place to Gem Pier and back). We've both injured ourselves in our time - gawking at the boats and the view and not where we're running.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.