Wikiposts

Culture Shock

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough
Question Culture Shock

G'day... I am an Aussie from Melbourne (Flemington) and am in Belfast, Northern Ireland until 2007. I am finding the lifestyle in Northern Ireland a little hard to cope with. Homesickness for Oz is currently playing a big part, however, as my partner and I are returning to Oz (eventually), I'd like a few tips in the meantime on how to cope with such a completely different lifestyle. Without meaning to give offence to anyone... I am find many of the people here a tad insular and uptight; a shame when Northern Ireland has so much to offer visitors. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:27 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Culture Shock

Originally Posted by Iolair
G'day... I am an Aussie from Melbourne (Flemington) and am in Belfast, Northern Ireland until 2007. I am finding the lifestyle in Northern Ireland a little hard to cope with. Homesickness for Oz is currently playing a big part, however, as my partner and I are returning to Oz (eventually), I'd like a few tips in the meantime on how to cope with such a completely different lifestyle. Without meaning to give offence to anyone... I am find many of the people here a tad insular and uptight; a shame when Northern Ireland has so much to offer visitors. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

How long have you been in NI? Most immigrants find it can often take months, sometimes even years to adjust to a new lifestyle, so if its only been a short time, my advice would be to keep with it and it'll come
I think I great deal can be said for 'getting out there' and really experiencing the lifestyle to its fullest, often what is different can be interpreted as boring/wrong/stupid etc because its not really understood. Is a trip across the border possible for you for a day/weekend etc, places like Dublin, although touristy are far from being uptight. My Dad worked/lived in Kinsale (near Cork) for six months, everyone there was so friendly and lively as well as being a beautiful place. Don't forget how close you are to Europe as well, make sure you utilise that, and cheap Ryan Air etc fares while you can... something I really miss now that I'm in Australia is being able to jump on a plane and go to a new country for the weekend, for less than a tank of fuel!
Have you tried to get into the local community? Here in OZ I've joined a couple of clubs/teams and have got to know a huge range of people, started to be invited out to places I may not have been to otherwise, I think this is when that sense of belonging starts to happen and you can relax a little and feel a bit more at home. Is there an Expat site for Australians in N.Ireland? I know there is for the UK, can't see why there wouldn't be one for there, while I dont suggest your only friends are Aussies, I know from experience that meeting up with someone who understands the same things (sport/food/politics/cars etc) as you can be a great spirit-lifter if you're feeling a bit down.

Hope some of these suggestions help. I've been back in OZ as a resident 8 months now (having previously spent a year on a WHV here) and it still took me 5.5months to settle in and call here 'home' and the UK 'the UK' (if you follow!!) Have a read of this, you're not alone!

Good Luck, and if nothing else go out and drink the Guinness, its far better over there than anywhere else in the world

Last edited by mlbonner; Mar 23rd 2005 at 2:32 pm. Reason: to add link
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

No offence taken!

I grew up near Belfast, and am now in Oz. Looking at it in reverse, I can see how an aussie might see the Northern Irish as a tad uptight. But we're not, we're really friendly, just don't ask too many personal questions at the start, and don't come on too matey, Irish friendship is alot more understated, not so much in yer face like the aussies.

I'm sure homesickness is your biggest downer at the moment, and the cold dark days. It will only get better from now, days get lighter, warmer, clocks go forward, get more sunshine. You can go out in the evenings. Its amazing the way seasons affect people, everyone is very insular, and just wants to get home to the family in winter, but come summer, and the long sunny evenings, they tend to hang out more after work, and are not in such a big rush to get home.

At the weekends try hopping on a train and go to Sunny Bangor (Northern Irelands own Gold Coast ha ha ha ), or go up to Portrush for the weekend.

Or if you want a shopping frenzy, get the enterprise train to Dublin for a weekend, go to Henry Street and Grafton street.

Hope that helps, I do think you are over the worst part now, I used to love the clocks going forward, it made the evenings usable, and suddenly I'd get a social life again!

Cheers,
JTL

Edit:

Heres a list of events on in Bangor or Hollywood

http://www.northdown.gov.uk/events.a...&aname=Council

Bangor can be quite touristy, which isn't always a bad thing. Lots of americans and europeans in the summer. Good bars and restaruants around the marina.

And heres the same for Portrush

http://www.colerainebc.gov.uk/news/events_index.php

Again, a very touristy place, and of course, theres the Giants Causeway nearby, which is worth a look.

For Dublin, just type 'Dublin Ireland' into google and you'll get a couple of thousand sites back!!

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 23rd 2005 at 3:41 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Default Re re : Culture Shock

Thanks heaps for the responses. I don't consider myself to be an 'immigrant'... just a somewhat bewildered Aussie tourist on an extended stay in Northern Ireland. I've been here since June of 2004. My 1st experience of getting out and about in NI was alas, discouraging. I'd been two hours off the plane, somewhat hyper with jet lag and decided to go for a wander to stretch the legs before getting my head down for a time. I entered a small but up-market 'tourist' shop to have a unobtrusive look at the exceptional goods on offer and perhaps purchase some souvineers to send back to the rellos in Oz. My presense in the shop was not acknowledged by the sales assistant who had her head buried in a magazine the whole time and when I approached her after 10 mins to ask a price and before I could even get the words out, she looked up and said' "Yergettin?" Naturally I didn't understand what she was asking and all smiles, asked her to explain. Her response was: " I asked if yergettin?" Nope, still no clue on my part. I explained I'd only just arrived in the country and didn't know what she was saying. Upon this, she rolled her eyes and said: "You stupid? You going to buy something or what?" I responded with a "No thanks; not with that attitude." So while she shrugged and said she didn't care, I simply left. Unfortunate that this one episode seems to have set the tone for me and after discussing this with other Aussie's here, similiar stories abound and amongst those I've met, poor customer service seem to be the norm. People really don't put themselves out for others here and can be deeply suspicious... perfectly understandable after years of conflict but as that dies away... attitudes still seem to be as grey as the sky and people wary of 'strangers.' You are so right Jack, when you write that "Irish friendship is alot more understated, not so much in yer face like the Aussies." I rarely get in anyones face, being very easy going and largely keep my mouth shut but truly... half the sales and customer service oriented people here seem to be on some sort of medication and those who aren't... should be. I think I'll make it my aim for the duration of my stay to make these people smile. Alas Mlbonner... I don't like Guinness ( I know that's terrible isn't it!) and I would probably crawl thru broken glass for a VB... but will take your advice on board and get myself 'south of the border' for a few visits. Thanks heaps to both of you for the links on Co.Down and the Causeway Coast. Thanks for the encouragement, as it's very welcome... pity that my 1st day here led me to skip over phase one of the 'culture shock' honeymoon period and straight into phase two where I have become stuck. But hey... the sun still might come out, won't it? Please?

Last edited by Iolair; Mar 24th 2005 at 3:31 am.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

kathmand194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re re : Culture Shock

Thanks heaps for the responses. I don't consider myself to be an 'immigrant'... just a somewhat bewildered Aussie tourist on an extended stay in Northern Ireland. I've been here since June of 2004. My 1st experience of getting out and about in NI was alas, discouraging. I'd been two hours off the plane, somewhat hyper with jet lag and decided to go for a wander to stretch the legs before getting my head down for a time. I entered a small but up-market 'tourist' shop to have a unobtrusive look at the exceptional goods on offer and perhaps purchase some souvineers to send back to the rellos in Oz. My presense in the shop was not acknowledged by the sales assistant who had her head buried in a magazine the whole time and when I approached her after 10 mins to ask a price and before I could even get the words out, she looked up and said' "Yergettin?" Naturally I didn't understand what she was asking and all smiles, asked her to explain. Her response was: " I asked if yergettin?" Nope, still no clue on my part. I explained I'd only just arrived in the country and didn't know what she was saying. Upon this, she rolled her eyes and said: "You stupid? You going to buy something or what?" I responded with a "No thanks; not with that attitude." So while she shrugged and said she didn't care, I simply left. Unfortunate that this one episode seems to have set the tone for me and after discussing this with other Aussie's here, similiar stories abound and amongst those I've met, poor customer service seem to be the norm. People really don't put themselves out for others here and can be deeply suspicious... perfectly understandable after years of conflict but as that dies away... attitudes still seem to be as grey as the sky and people wary of 'strangers.' You are so right Jack, when you write that "Irish friendship is alot more understated, not so much in yer face like the Aussies." I rarely get in anyones face, being very easy going and largely keep my mouth shut but truly... half the sales and customer service oriented people here seem to be on some sort of medication and those who aren't... should be. I think I'll make it my aim for the duration of my stay to make these people smile. Alas Mlbonner... I don't like Guinness ( I know that's terrible isn't it!) and I would probably crawl thru broken glass for a VB... but will take your advice on board and get myself 'south of the border' for a few visits. Thanks heaps to both of you for the links on Co.Down and the Causeway Coast. Thanks for the encouragement, as it's very welcome... pity that my 1st day here led me to skip over phase one of the 'culture shock' honeymoon period and straight into phase two where I have become stuck. But hey... the sun still might come out, won't it? Please?

Can you play cricket? Do you want to play cricket? you would be welcome to come along to Derriaghy Cricket Club, South Belfast.
If you are interested drop me a line.

I live in Northern Ireland and hope to immgrate out to Australia in the very nera future, Probably in the Victoria area, if there is anything you would like to know about wee Norn Iron give us a call.

Gary.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:46 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Ok just a quick one.....like the Aussies say to me ....but in NI speak...get over yerself!

If you are in a shop and not wanting to buy....then do not expect service....I hate being in Aus and accosted by every 2nd sales assistant and having to explain 'I am just browsing thanks' and then being watched till I leave the place!

Culture Shock - it is then! So on past your need to rate Belfast by the shopping.....get out and do something, get involved, get an umbrella and you will not get so wet by the weather, go a Gym and say to the ejjitt next to you....I am new and a complete plonker...whats fun!?

OK only joking about that last statement - you need to say it without any vowels and you might get a date! And if all else fails get a job in Dublin cause they really are a nicer bunch down there - cause of all the immigrants!

The NI are insular....they think a foreign holiday is going to Bangor!

But instead of getting uptight and protective cause you think we all might be mad ejjitts.....tyr being yerself and stop worrying.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Wasn't basing Belfast on it's shopping... but expressing my dismay at the lack of simple courtesy and manners. My 1st day shopping experience was simply one of many outrages that have been encountered by visitors to Northern Ireland. An example of the worst, and I'm asssured this is quite normal... was witnessing two Asian girls being refused service in a pub because: 'we don't serve your kind in here.' How long does it take to get that kind of bias out of the collective system? Interestingly, both girls were from Sydney.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kathmand194
Can you play cricket? Do you want to play cricket? you would be welcome to come along to Derriaghy Cricket Club, South Belfast.
If you are interested drop me a line.

I live in Northern Ireland and hope to immgrate out to Australia in the very nera future, Probably in the Victoria area, if there is anything you would like to know about wee Norn Iron give us a call.

Gary.
G'day Gary! Re: Derriaghy Cricket Club. Yes, I play cricket... um, you have a girls team or is it mixed? Funnily enough, my partner played there for years but has now retired due to injury.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:47 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Alas Mlbonner... I don't like Guinness ( I know that's terrible isn't it!) and I would probably crawl thru broken glass for a VB... but will take your advice on board and get myself 'south of the border' for a few visits. Thanks heaps to both of you for the links on Co.Down and the Causeway Coast. Thanks for the encouragement, as it's very welcome... pity that my 1st day here led me to skip over phase one of the 'culture shock' honeymoon period and straight into phase two where I have become stuck. But hey... the sun still might come out, won't it? Please?

No, me neither really, but, if I had to chose where to drink it, it would be Ireland!! I guess the point is, to make the best of what you have, you might not realise it now, but when you get back to OZ there are things there that you would have probably gotten use to, liked and will miss... enjoy them while you can
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

kathmand194 is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day Gary! Re: Derriaghy Cricket Club. Yes, I play cricket... um, you have a girls team or is it mixed? Funnily enough, my partner played there for years but has now retired due to injury.

Hi,

The team I play on is all blokes, I dont really think that ladies cricket has really taken off just yet over here!!! Althought I did see on the telly the other night that the Irish ladies are heading out to South Africa for the world cup.
Your partner played for Derriaghy ???? how long ago was that?

Gary.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kathmand194
Hi,

The team I play on is all blokes, I dont really think that ladies cricket has really taken off just yet over here!!! Althought I did see on the telly the other night that the Irish ladies are heading out to South Africa for the world cup.
Your partner played for Derriaghy ???? how long ago was that?

Gary.

Last year Gary!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Hey there,

Sorry to hear about your Belfast experience so far, I think you've just been unlucky. My ex girlfriend was from Melbourne and lived here in Belfast with me for a few years.

She was always saying how she could never get away from people and how they always pestered her with questions about Australia and as most people seem to have travelled there these days from NI, well a good lot anyway.

I imagine, like the rest of the country you're feeling a bit flat coming out of Winter, but as the weather slowly, and relatively, improves, you'll notice the mood picks up.

There are different crowds in Belfast, and you can end up experiencing the moody idiots with attitude or you can meet the genuine real nice people the country is known for, I hope you find the latter very soon.

As for Dublin, it has to be one of the most unfriendly places I've ever been. I lived there for 2 years and the people I got on best with were from down country like Cork and Kerry. Nuff said.

And more importantly for you, I couldn't help notice that in Irene and Nan's, behind the famous Crown Bar, now sells bottles of your beloved VB. I think a few other bars are stocking it also, so get down there and knock yourself out!!!

I would love for you to enjoy your time in NI, so let me know if you need any further advice, there's lots of amazing countryside and views, awesome golf courses etc.

I may be biased but I have travelled a fair bit and can think of no better place on a sunny day in Summer than NI. Mournes, Antrim Coast and all only a maximum 1 hour away. Not to mention the stunning Donegal, the ex completely loved it there.

All the best,
B