British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cruelty 'keeps live export afloat' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cruelty-keeps-live-export-afloat-168153/)

baldbutts Jul 30th 2003 3:25 am

Wow,I spend a couple of days away,and this happens.
Thought I better address a couple of points that seemed to offend a few of you,in no particular order.
I posted on this one to show that Australia is not the only or worst offender .Certain anti Ozzie posters want you to believe otherwise,but the so-called civilised British government is up there with the worst of 'em in this barbaric trade.I wasn't dimissing information,I read newspapers too.
Of course I sympathise with the animals plight,but I choose to channel my energies elsewhere.In my eyes,this situation is not on the top of my list of priorities.It obviously is to others.
None of you know if I do or do not do something towards other problems in the world.I may or may not have transported gifts and supplies to Romanian orphanages 5 years in a row in the 90's,and carry on fund raising now.I may or may not have been a volunteer caretaker for various Salvation Army buildings.I may or may not have helped with various fund raising activities for the local air ambulance.I may do bugger all,except be sarcastic.My point being again,that I have priorities.Sorry if this offends a few of you who have different ones.
As in most of life,media does seem to dwell on the worst of situations.But it's a fact that extremists do follow animal rights protesters,or are the ALF just mis-understood.They do cause trouble around the ports handling live exports,and they do give genuine protesters a bad image.Unfortunately,they think an animals life is more important than a humans.If they can be cruel to something as innocent as an human life,they certainly could be cruel to an animal.
We do have a right to treat animals cruelly,as we are top of the foodf chain.There is no way of killing humanely-it's a cruel act.I don't agree with this right so don't have a go ,but it's a fact.We are instinctly carnivorous,so animals will always be slaughtered for food-always cruelly.
Still,as has been suggested,we could all eat dates (I mean,seriously).

Just my thoughts,bound to offend some,but that's life.

Ceri Jul 31st 2003 12:35 am

Originally posted by baldbutts

We do have a right to treat animals cruelly,as we are top of the foodf chain.There is no way of killing humanely-it's a cruel act.I
Just my thoughts,bound to offend some,but that's life.
Well that's where you are wrong - We do not have the right to treat anything with cruelty and pain. There is a huge difference between humanely killing and treating something with cruelty. I will not get into a debate on this - because It will get heated as I feel quite strongly on this issue. No animal (humans too - we are all but animals) deserves pain and cruelty.

That's All that I will say. There are laws in most civilised countries preventing cruelty - even farm animals.

I wasn't have a go at you directly - I was having a go at the flippant remarks in general society when people tend to say "what about the old folk etc" .

cheers

wagtail Aug 5th 2003 7:41 pm

I was blissfully ignorant of the suffering of these animals until I decided, after hearing many remarks from the uninformed, to go see for myself. What I saw was animal torture at its worse - pregnant sheep being trampled when giving birth in overloaded containers; a calf, with its leg bent up behind it and sticking out of a vent (clearly broken). Its cried were pitiful; but, hey! dont't worry, they are only animals. They don't feel pain, so we are told - it must have been my imagination when standing no more than 5 feet away and hearing it crying. Animals subjected to days of enforced fasting and water withheld. Try looking at a transporter, filled with horses at a food stop in 85oF heat; gnawing at bars. Literally dying of thirst in the heat while the driver is taking a long break. Mad! You bet I am now. Humans have some control over what happens to them, animals don't and anyone who believes this sort of treatment is acceptable only shows their ignorance. What sad people to think that this sort of suffering is humane and they are civilised. The animals are more civilised than we will ever be - at least they don't want to destroy evrything around them in the name of progress. Think of that when the planet is dying because of what we are doing.