Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crown told us.......helpful info

Crown told us.......helpful info

Old May 10th 2004, 6:46 pm
Go Banana's !!

Post Crown told us.......helpful info

Apparently Oz has new laws which have just come into place that all imported fridges must be CFC free.
We hadn't realised we had an issue, but we have a fridge we keep for drink in the garage (aprox 10 years old) hubby was hoping to take, well we can't and I'm glad cos it's a knakered old thing (bit like me at the moment).

Just thought I'd post this, as if you try and take one with CFC's in they will insist the gas is replaced and it could cost you a packet.

Jill

Old May 10th 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

dave.t is an unknown quantity at this point

We had Crown round the other day and they told us the same. But we'd had John Masons round the day before and they'd not mentioned it?

We've got another couple of quotes to go....see what they say? All a bit confusing.

Bit gutted....we've got a new chest freezer and a nearly new fridge freezer we wanted to take.

Oh well, E-bay here they come!!
Old May 10th 2004, 7:43 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by dave.t
We had Crown round the other day and they told us the same. But we'd had John Masons round the day before and they'd not mentioned it?

We've got another couple of quotes to go....see what they say? All a bit confusing.

Bit gutted....we've got a new chest freezer and a nearly new fridge freezer we wanted to take.

Oh well, E-bay here they come!!
Check - the new ones should be CFC free so you will be OK

Jill

Old May 11th 2004, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Would you not be better off dumping the fridge and buying one here?

I think I read somewhere that fridges made for the Aussie market were somewhat different to those in the UK, due to the climatic conditions being different (UK fridges rarely have to struggle to keep stuff cool in 40 degrees of heat).

Also, because of the need to keep much more stuff in the fridge here, you may find your british fridge is too small.

For example, if you are a few days away from garbage collection day, storing waste food in the freezer is highly recommended, if for no other reason than to keep the flies down!