Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crown Relocations

Crown Relocations

Old Jun 16th 2005, 10:59 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Crown Relocations

We had our worldly goods delivered to us 2 weeks ago and we've now finally finished all the unpacking....phew!

So yesterday methinks...now's the time to phone Crown and get them to take away all the 'debris'....they certainly pack everything well...think they destroyed an entire rainforest to get all the paper they used! We have at least 20 black bin bags full of paper plus a few boxes (we're keeping a lot of boxes for our next move as I'm told they're pricey here....well that's what the Crown delivery guy told me...maybe that was just an excuse not to load his truck up with them again)

So I get on the dog'n'bone to ask them to come and get it all. I'm eventually phoned back by a chap called Steve who informs me that as we're up on the Sunshine Coast they'll only collect it next time they're up here doing a delivery. I said fine that wasn't a problem....he then added that there would be a charge of $88 for this service
I replied 'no...clearance of packing materials was included in the fee we originally paid Crown' but he replied 'oh yea they used to do that but now there's an extra charge for that......we'll take away any packing materials on the day of delivery for free but if we have to come back there's a charge'

I then explained to him that his delivery chaps didn't help us unpack anything smaller than the sofas or our bed....they left us to unpack all 100+ boxes on our own.
At the time I suppose I just happy to finally get my stuff back and didn't think to actually say to the blokes 'hey get unpacking all of these boxes!'

I said to Steve ' With respect.....how can you possibly have expected us to have unpacked 100+ boxes in one day????'........he had no answer for that and the line fell a little quiet....so I told him to forget it and I'll be writing to Crown to complain.

So be warned.........when your delivery chaps bring your stuff....make the swines unpack EVERYTHING........no matter how long it takes them!

I don't mind having to wait a few weeks for them to be in the area again so they don't have to make a 'special trip'....but to be charged....again???

We thought about just taking it all up the tip...but it will probably take several trips and we'd be charged for it too (hubby looked into it)....then I thought no why should we??? We've already paid Crown to do this and now they're renaigning (sp?) on that..

So right now....Crown aren't my favourite people
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crown Relocations

We used pss and they told us exactly the same thing, but we havent phoned them yet so don't know if this is additional. They did offer to unpack it for us but you don't want 100 boxes of bits on the floor. I couldnt believe the packing material either, as we were unpacking we repacked anything we didnt want for a while or ever and only used one sheet, i swear to god we got at least 4 boxes into one without all the packaging. On a sad but true note, I got the kids to flatten all the paper out into piles and then folded it up. got it all in 2 boxes . Am doing the same regards boxes. We get 3 or 4 free council pickups in NSW, so maybe I'll give them a ring for a collection.

Jo
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:15 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo

The paper they use is incredible...I have 'saved' 3 larges boxes worth of relatively 'unscrunched' paper and folded it all into the boxes ready for our next move.

I think the thing to do is definately get them to unpack everything on the day...it would be a lot of hassle as there'd be masses of paper all over the place and they'd be comstantly asking 'where do you want this?' but with hindsight I'd rather that than having it all to do myself and then having the hassle of all the paper and boxes to get rid of!!

Good luck with pss!!!!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:17 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by artep
We had our worldly goods delivered to us 2 weeks ago and we've now finally finished all the unpacking....phew!

So yesterday methinks...now's the time to phone Crown and get them to take away all the 'debris'....they certainly pack everything well...think they destroyed an entire rainforest to get all the paper they used! We have at least 20 black bin bags full of paper plus a few boxes (we're keeping a lot of boxes for our next move as I'm told they're pricey here....well that's what the Crown delivery guy told me...maybe that was just an excuse not to load his truck up with them again)

So I get on the dog'n'bone to ask them to come and get it all. I'm eventually phoned back by a chap called Steve who informs me that as we're up on the Sunshine Coast they'll only collect it next time they're up here doing a delivery. I said fine that wasn't a problem....he then added that there would be a charge of $88 for this service
I replied 'no...clearance of packing materials was included in the fee we originally paid Crown' but he replied 'oh yea they used to do that but now there's an extra charge for that......we'll take away any packing materials on the day of delivery for free but if we have to come back there's a charge'

I then explained to him that his delivery chaps didn't help us unpack anything smaller than the sofas or our bed....they left us to unpack all 100+ boxes on our own.
At the time I suppose I just happy to finally get my stuff back and didn't think to actually say to the blokes 'hey get unpacking all of these boxes!'

I said to Steve ' With respect.....how can you possibly have expected us to have unpacked 100+ boxes in one day????'........he had no answer for that and the line fell a little quiet....so I told him to forget it and I'll be writing to Crown to complain.

So be warned.........when your delivery chaps bring your stuff....make the swines unpack EVERYTHING........no matter how long it takes them!

I don't mind having to wait a few weeks for them to be in the area again so they don't have to make a 'special trip'....but to be charged....again???

We thought about just taking it all up the tip...but it will probably take several trips and we'd be charged for it too (hubby looked into it)....then I thought no why should we??? We've already paid Crown to do this and now they're renaigning (sp?) on that..

So right now....Crown aren't my favourite people
We had exactly the same with Crown. The service up to then had been first rate then they go and let it down by being petty over collecting boxes!
I stuck to my guns and they relected and grudgingly collected them, at their convenience.
You are right. They tell you that it's included, it's in their literature and there is no way you can unpack a full household in one go. Perhaps they would like to stand about and wait whilst you do it??? Probably not.
Another thing is the cost of the boxes. Surely they can reuse them? I had to buy some to move with, and 10 second hand boxes cost me about $50! Wish I'd kept the Crown boxes. Could have sold them for a tidy profit.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Agree that this is a bit slack of Crown. We used Crown and were aware of this when we used them - easy to miss as it is not particularily the first thing on your mind when the lorry turns up. As a consequence we made sure that they had enough time to unpack most of the boxes and made it clear to them that they were doing most of the unpacking as we had paid for the service. They packed in the UK over 5 days and they allowed 2 days to unpack here. I would say that they (plus us doing it at the same time) got through 90% of the boxes and took all the packing away.

I think that the same is probably true of most of the shippers and something to be aware of. It is something that they should all focus on as it is the lasting memory that most people will have after a shipment of what happened when it turns up, irrespective of whether the rest of the job they did was good or not.

We still have about 20 crown boxes and packing of varying sizes. If anyone would like to make me an offer!!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:21 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

They unpacked you large items???? lucky you, I got told I was being charged more money for 2 story delivery (all aranged in the UK), had half the stuff dumped in the garden at the bottom of the stairs, half at the top of the stairs and off they went to rush to their next job.

When I first wrote of my problems with Crown 6 months ago no one seemed to agree, I have seen a few complaints on here recently, Maybe they are on the downward slope.

Kala
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

PSS subsidery company over here were brill and even put up all the beds and reassembled anything we wanted. Couldn't fault them really.

Only 2 small breakages as well. Glass lamp shade and picture.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:49 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

I've recently replied on another thread recommending Crown, but this thread has reminded me of a few niggles! I got the guys to unpack everything on the day - I unpacked all the kitchen and glassware etc and they unpacked everything else. As five oclock drew near they speeded up! They did struggle to put an Ikea kids bed together and gave up in the end ( I found two vital pieces of the bed in the next room minutes after they left). It was complete chaos after they left. Suddenly a house with no bookshelves, aaaargh books everywhere. One or two boxes had been packed with the contents of a small drawers from the bedroom at home, nick nacks silly bits and pieces, well this stuff was just piled onto the floor! Common sense would have surely said - leave this pile of stuff in the box - I'm sure it wasn't individually wrapped. But saying that, apart from them slagging off the 'pommie packers' they did exactly what they said they would - empty the boxes and take all the stuff away.
Can anyone be perfect? Overall I think they were excellent, just a little common sense was required in the final moments.
BTW - two weeks in and I'm still in chaos - still trying to buy bookcases etc. Haven't got the cash flow to buy it all in one hit.

My point which I forgot to make is - I was paranoid they wouldn't come back for the boxes if I unpacked at my leisure so got them to do it all. Maybe I should have kept the books boxed..... ah, hindsight a wonderful thing!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JayDeee
They unpacked you large items???? lucky you, I got told I was being charged more money for 2 story delivery (all aranged in the UK), had half the stuff dumped in the garden at the bottom of the stairs, half at the top of the stairs and off they went to rush to their next job.

When I first wrote of my problems with Crown 6 months ago no one seemed to agree, I have seen a few complaints on here recently, Maybe they are on the downward slope.

Kala
Blimey! Although we had a few issues they were pretty good. They still put the items in the right rooms, put most of the beds up etc.

Sounds like the different local crews do different things.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 4:23 am
....is FAB

Kala that's terrible..........they seriously just dumped some of your stuff???? What was the outcome??...or are you still waiting??

Originally Posted by webgum
apart from them slagging off the 'pommie packers'
Ours did exactly the same....whinged like mad about the 'pommie packers' Especially when trying to put the mechanism back into our sofa bed. We explained to him that in the UK, the sofa bed was in a room on the top floor of our 3 storey townhouse. It was just common sense to dismantle it first as it would have been far too heavy for them to get down a the stairs otherwise. But he was having none of it and just moaned that the only reason they dismantled it was because they wouldn't have to reassemble it here.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:43 pm
....is FAB

I was going to write to crown to complain about the extra fee they wanted to charge me for coming to get the excess packing materials....but now I don't need to.

Out of the blue yesterday I got a call from their 'national quality manager' in Sydney apologising for the situation...explaining there had obviously been some misunderstanding over the information I was given and there had been a break down in communication. The guys who delivered were supposed to ask me exactly what I wanted unpacking...which they didn't They just unpacked the really big stuff and went.

The guy said yes they do charge to make a return trip to collect excess packing materials so to all you peeps yet to get your stuff, make sure when they come, they unpack everything you want them to otherwise you could well be left with several hundred weight of paper etc to dispose of or an excess charge for removal at a later date.

Anyway...because of the 'misunderstanding' they're coming here today and collecting all the 'debris' free of charge and all my comments have been taken on board and will be addressed.

Crown have now earned themselves a few brownie points back Apart from this 'blot' they've been very good.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

We used allied pickfords. They unpacked the big stuff on the day and we unpacked the rest. We were missing one childs bike which they said was held by quarantine (thats a long story but we eventually got it back)
Apart from that one hiccup pickfords were excellent. Called them a few weeks later to collect the packaging and they arranged to come for no cost (I think it was when they were in the area anyway)
Ruth
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:37 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by artep
Kala that's terrible..........they seriously just dumped some of your stuff???? What was the outcome??...or are you still waiting??

Ours did exactly the same....whinged like mad about the 'pommie packers' Especially when trying to put the mechanism back into our sofa bed. We explained to him that in the UK, the sofa bed was in a room on the top floor of our 3 storey townhouse. It was just common sense to dismantle it first as it would have been far too heavy for them to get down a the stairs otherwise. But he was having none of it and just moaned that the only reason they dismantled it was because they wouldn't have to reassemble it here.
I complained about a few things to them before the actual delivery and and got squrirmining out of it replies. very late delivery, aparently they never said it would be here within 12 weeks (only went on the boat after they had had it for 10 weeks (cant remember exact details now) bla bla.

They didn;t seem interested so once it arrived I just brushed my hands of them and had a good sort through my stuff.

I only finnished unpacking it last week and it arrived in Jan.

Wouldn;t use them again and would find it hard to reccomend them but they do seem to continuously come up as the best in polls on here so they must be pretty good gererally.

Kala
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As most of you know I ended up having my stuff shipped by ***** ********, and the English end of the business was indeed Pathetic.

However at this end it was dealt with by OSS and they were excellent. I hadn't paid for any unpacking, as I packed everything myself, but the guys that delivered it unwrapped my wonderful pink chair and took away the wrapping. They also removed wrappings that I took off other bits and pieces while they were there.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 3:46 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We went with Allied Pickfords.....they offered to come and pick up all the empty boxes and crap once I had unpacked them.......but it was just as easy for us to throw all the torn boxes in the back of the ute and take it to the recycling station along the road.....filled up the crate hehe....kept all the good boxes...which have come in handy cos they are all getting packed up ready for the move to our new place....they did break my puter and another couple of things, but their insurance company was brilliant......did the claim all via e-mail and had a cheque within 2 weeks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.