Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Croc's Life.....

A Croc's Life.....

Old Dec 30th 2003, 4:37 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy A Croc's Life.....

It has been reported today that a 3.8 metre crocodile has been shot dead. It is believed to be the Croc that killed the 22 year old man last week.

But was this Croc a threat? I don't believe it was threatening any population. Were the men not in Croc territory? That's like wanting to go and kill the shark that has killed someone in the ocean.

Just food for thought

Last edited by Jirrupin; Dec 30th 2003 at 4:40 am.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Croc's Life.....

Originally posted by Jirrupin
It has been reported today that a 3.8 metre crocodile has been shot dead. It is beleived to be the Croc that killed the 22 year old man last week.

But was this Croc a threat, I don't believe it was threatening any population. Were the men not in Croc territory?That's ike wanting to go and kill the shark that has killed someone in the ocean.

Just food for thought
I was surprised that those guys were in that water, unless I got this wrong they were aussies, they should have known better to be anywhere near water up there!

We found it really odd that the story made the front page of the evening standard in London, couldnt help wonder why any Poms would care about that as news

BTW they do try and catch sharks that have killed someone here, cant quite work out how they know which one tho! what do you do give an identity kit picture, grey, big teeth, nasty looking beady eyes, the mind boggles.

Last edited by dotty; Dec 30th 2003 at 4:44 am.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 4:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
I was surprised that those guys were in that water, unless I got this wrong they were aussies, they should have known better to be anywhere near water up there!

We found it really odd that the story made the front page of the evening standard in London, couldnt help wonder why any Poms would care about that as news
The British love a person eaten by animal in Aus story especially during the xmas silly season. Apparently salties were unknown that far up the river.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
The British love a person eaten by animal in Aus story especially during the xmas silly season. Apparently salties were unknown that far up the river.
Wonder if we can set up a hoax, "koala snatches baby ", or "missing brit backpacker taken by kangaroo" wonder how much the Brit Press would pay for that, I get the distinct feeling most there would believe it:scared:
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:07 am

Originally posted by dotty
Wonder if we can set up a hoax, "koala snatches baby ", or "missing brit backpacker taken by kangaroo" wonder how much the Brit Press would pay for that, I get the distinct feeling most there would believe it:scared:
LOL

News hungry media will snap up anything like that.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 6:56 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

There was the story of the "Naked Kangaroo Woman" bobbling around the Nullarbor circa 1970...
Old Dec 30th 2003, 6:57 am

Old Dec 30th 2003, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Jirrupin
But was this Croc a threat? I don't believe it was threatening any population. Were the men not in Croc territory?
I think I heard that it was a Salt water croc, in a fresh water river, therefore the croc should not have been there . It obviously didnt read the signs !

Old Dec 30th 2003, 7:12 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Salties are quite happy in fresh water and will inhabit any permanent river, usually up to a set of water falls. Above the waterfalls, the rivers are prone to dry out stranding the salties, the drought or long walk to permanent water killing them.

They have been around long enough to know "in their bones" the limits of their habitat.

They should be renamed "Permanent Water Crocs".
Old Dec 30th 2003, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I know that I must sound boringly Ozzie now having been here for the full 10 weeks, but apparently, because they are now a protected species they are moving further and further South as the males are territorial and have to move out and have their own croc space. Occasionally they get into places that they aren't normally found.
When they reach Mandurah, Im going back to the UK.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you read/heard about that snake that has supposedly been captured in Indonesia/Malaysia(can't remember which). It is apparently 49ft long and weighs 71 stone. It eats 3-4 dogs a month.

Claire
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:49 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I think I heard that it was a Salt water croc, in a fresh water river, therefore the croc should not have been there . It obviously didnt read the signs !
Saltwater croc is a totally misleading name. They are actually calles Estuarine (or something like that) crocs.

Unfortunetly people still keep calling them salties, so that even Australians think they are only in salt water.

Salties can be found in the South Alligator river in Kakadu(I saw them) and there was even one spotted in the Katherine River (near Nitmiluk National Park) And probably of course lots of other places, but these are the ones I know.

Last edited by Simone; Dec 30th 2003 at 11:02 am.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:57 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Simone82
Slat water corc is a totally misleading name.
it is that!

sorry.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:01 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Oops!

And usually I always check my posts! (while typing!!)

Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:03 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Simone82
OMG Oops!

And usually I always check my posts! (while typing!!)

normally i wouldn't have commented, coz i make as many mistake as anyone, that one i just couldn't let go....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.