Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Croc in woman's Laundry?

Croc in woman's Laundry?

Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Croc in woman's Laundry?

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-29277,00.html

Saltie released in tourist lagoon
By Heather Quinlan
March 18, 2005

AUTHORITIES are hunting for a dangerous saltwater crocodile accidentally released by police into a popular lagoon in the far north of Western Australia.
Department of Conservation and Land Management (CALM) staff have set traps at scenic Lily Creek Lagoon, near the tourist town of Kununurra, in an attempt to recapture the 1.8m reptile.

Warnings have been issued for children and dogs to avoid the area while the crocodile is on the loose, CALM's Kimberley district wildlife officer Brad Rushforth said today.

Kununurra police had confused the saltie with the common and much less dangerous freshwater species, Mr Rushforth said.
Advertisement:

Police officers made the mistake after they had removed the crocodile from a woman's laundry.

The shocked woman had returned from a holiday late at night to find a taped-up crocodile – caught by an authorised crocodile catcher who had planned to take it to a nearby crocodile sanctuary – in her home.

The catcher is a friend of the woman's son.

"The police took a few photos and put it in the back of one of their vehicles and someone with them at the time described it as freshwater croc," Mr Rushforth told ABC Radio.

"Based on that information, they thought: We might as well let it go.

"A few days later I received a call from police saying we have some photos you might be interested in, so I had a look and I knew reasonably quickly that they had released a saltwater crocodile into Lily Creek Lagoon, in Lake Kununurra, which is a crocodile management zone.

"That means if there is a saltwater or estuarine crocodile sighted in there (CALM) are able to have it removed for public safety reasons."

Lily Creek Lagoon is a popular spot for boating, walking and bird-watching, with a caravan park and other accommodation located on its shores.

The crocodile was relatively small, but, with the potential to grow to 6 to 7m, it posed a threat if not recaptured, Mr Rushforth said.

After setting a trap about 50m downstream from the boat ramp where the crocodile was released, CALM had conducted a spotlight patrol which had failed to locate the reptile, he said.

"We're planning to put another trap in further downstream and continue spotlight patrols until it is found. We've got a bit of work to do now," Mr Rushforth said.

"There are thousands and thousands of freshwater crocs in Lily Creek Lagoon, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack."

WA would not comment on the crocodile hunt.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:53 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Croc in woman's Laundry?

Originally Posted by renth

"There are thousands and thousands of freshwater crocs in Lily Creek Lagoon, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack."

:scared: :scared: Thats the next Perth expats meet venue sorted then
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Saltie released in tourist lagoon
By Heather Quinlan
March 18, 2005

Warnings have been issued for children and dogs to avoid the area while the crocodile is on the loose, CALM's Kimberley district wildlife officer Brad Rushforth said today.

Police officers made the mistake after they had removed the crocodile from a woman's laundry.

The shocked woman had returned from a holiday late at night to find a taped-up crocodile – caught by an authorised crocodile catcher who had planned to take it to a nearby crocodile sanctuary – in her home.

The crocodile was relatively small, but, with the potential to grow to 6 to 7m, it posed a threat if not recaptured, Mr Rushforth said.

WA would not comment on the crocodile hunt.

Lets hope the forum holds you fully responsible for next weeks spate of
"I am dying to go to australia but worried about creepy crawlies and 7meter crocodile" threads.

Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
"I am dying to go to australia but worried about creepy crawlies and 7meter crocodile" threads.

Yeah, or is there crime in Perth? or I've heard the schools in Australia are really good...
Old Mar 18th 2005, 5:12 am
wombat42

Will probably get a few morons saying they are affraid to immigrate to OZ because of crocs even though they are moving to Sydney or Melbourne.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 18th 2005 at 5:17 am.

Old Mar 18th 2005, 5:16 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Will probably get a few morons saying they are affraid to immigrate to OZ because of crocs even though they are moving to Sydney or Melbourne.
Does this mean you think they're anywhere near Perth?!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 6:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My mum sent me a text last night saying that my 4 year old niece has announced 'there are "crocdiles" in Granny's kitchen (in Bristol!!!), and Aunty Polly has probably got them too.....' I am now wondering whether she has mastered reading of the Internet all on her own, and whether I dare venture into my kitchen...........
Old Mar 18th 2005, 6:10 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Flippen 'eck, how big was her laundry pile? :scared: :scared:

D D
Old Mar 18th 2005, 6:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Flippen 'eck, how big was her laundry pile? :scared: :scared:

D D
Oh no, according to 4 year old niece, in my mum's case it was hiding under the fridge.......
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42

I find ants more of a nuisance, the crocs are fine, as long as you dont pester them they leave you alone, and dont leave the dogs bowl on the patio that always attracts them. Folding the washing removes the risk too, they love nothing more than a pile of underdaks to hide under.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:19 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Folding the washing removes the risk too, they love nothing more than a pile of underdaks to hide under.
Blimey, how big are your daks :scared:

Last edited by hevs; Mar 18th 2005 at 8:05 am.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by hevs
Blimey, how big are your daks :scared:
Don't worry Hevs, just keep that shovel handy to whack 'em with, and you'll be fine