cripes........new job, totally different

Wikiposts

cripes........new job, totally different

Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road
Default cripes........new job, totally different

'ello

well, just had it finalised, start work in Melbourne on about the 13th Nov!
i've been told that I get a company car or an allowance, which will be nice, i've tried looking up info, but what is taxation like on company cars over there?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:25 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cripes........new job, totally different

Originally Posted by bleugh
'ello

i've been told that I get a company car or an allowance, which will be nice, i've tried looking up info, but what is taxation like on company cars over there?
That's a tough question with many possibe answers.
I was faced with the same scenario and was "advised" that unless you intend to do a lot of milage (kilometerage - is that word?) ie >100,000 km pa, then you are better off getting a car allowance as the tax is less.

Maybe not much help but there must be guys on here that can help - or at least tell you that whatever car you are getting is the wrong one!

Andrew
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:38 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

'ello

I am told that the best thing to do tax-wise is a salary sacrifice if your employer supports it. ie lease the car (you choose) via a third party who picks up ALL the bills, even petrol via a charge card then you pay them a pre-agreed monthly fee which is adjusted periodically. This saves you duty every time you fill up and possibly over a $1000 on the purchase then you get GST off services etc too. I haven't done it myself as I haven't got my head around it but many people I work with do it and reckon to save up to $2000 per year.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:50 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

'ello

Had choice of 6 series BMW or cash allowance

Took the cash mate
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Had choice of 6 series BMW or cash allowance

Took the cash mate
Yes, leasing a car here is a complete pain in the arse. It's all tied into your company, and is really difficult and awkward to sort out. Again, far too much red tape instead of making something simple.

I wanted to lease a car, but my company won't do it, so that's it. Though I hate to say it, it was much easier in the UK to lease, as you could do it as a private person, irrespective of your company.

Gripe over.

S