Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Criminal Record Question

Criminal Record Question

Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Donk
This is true. Honesty always best policy, failure to disclose could have disastrous consequences.
My how the times have changed. But I here the descendants of the original convicts take great pride in their forefathers.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 8:56 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

My hubby had a conviction from when he was about 20 and although it didn't appear on his police check we declared it anyway.

He got his visa in August and will be off to Adelaide just as soon as the house sells.

As others have said it really is best to declare it at the outset. these things have a tendancy to rear their ugly heads when you least expect them to otherwise.

Sally and family
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Donk
This is true. Honesty always best policy, failure to disclose could have disastrous consequences.
Hiya P.P have to agree with WBB and donk.I have some convictions from 15 years ago that I didn't think were going to show up,you guessed it, am I glad that I was upfront about them,
as one was like your brothers fisticuffs .I had also lodged an enhanced check done by social services as we foster children.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

This may help

For the purposes of this section, a person does not pass the character test if:
(a) the person has a substantial criminal record (as defined by subsection (7)); or
(b) the person has or has had an association with someone else, or with a group or organisation, whom the Minister reasonably suspects has been or is involved in criminal conduct; or
(c) having regard to either or both of the following:
(i) the person's past and present criminal conduct;
(ii) the person's past and present general conduct;
the person is not of good character; or
(d) in the event the person were allowed to enter or to remain in Australia, there is a significant risk that the person would:
(i) engage in criminal conduct in Australia; or
(ii) harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia; or
(iii) vilify a segment of the Australian community; or
(iv) incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community; or
(v) represent a danger to the Australian community or to a segment of that community, whether by way of being liable to become involved in activities that are disruptive to, or in violence threatening harm to, that community or segment, or in any other way.
Otherwise, the person passes the character test.

Substantial criminal record

(7) For the purposes of the character test, a person has a substantial criminal record if:
(a) the person has been sentenced to death; or
(b) the person has been sentenced to imprisonment for life; or
(c) the person has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months or more; or
(d) the person has been sentenced to 2 or more terms of imprisonment (whether on one or more occasions), where the total of those terms is 2 years or more; or
(e) the person has been acquitted of an offence on the grounds of unsoundness of mind or insanity, and as a result the person has been detained in a facility or institution.

Periodic detention

(8) For the purposes of the character test, if a person has been sentenced to periodic detention, the person’s term of imprisonment is taken to be equal to the number of days the person is required under that sentence to spend in detention.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ned Kelly, an Australian hero, would not have passed the character checks!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 11:54 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys

how does all this relate to if you were not actually charged and convicted of an offence? If the CPS decided there was no evidence with which to charge/convict you with and the case got no further?
the way I read the info was that it only related to 'Convictions'?

cheers

Sue
Old Oct 20th 2003, 5:28 pm
WBB

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
hi guys

how does all this relate to if you were not actually charged and convicted of an offence? If the CPS decided there was no evidence with which to charge/convict you with and the case got no further?
the way I read the info was that it only related to 'Convictions'?

cheers

Sue

what have you done then?

Old Oct 21st 2003, 12:58 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
what have you done then?

hi wbb
lets just say I was not an angel when I was younger - I didnt kill anyone or anything like that!!!!
I have had enhanced police checks done on a regular basis as I am a nurse and have been for 16 years - never mentioned it but it has never shown up on a pc.
anyone any idea?

sue
Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:06 am
WBB

im pretty confident that unless you were convicted of the offence (or are waiting to hear from the cps etc) then you have no criminal record and nothing to declare.

i suppose this works the same if you have been found not guilty of an offence.

i would post the question on the immigration forum and see if one of the agents answers it over there.

Old Oct 21st 2003, 1:21 am

Originally posted by welshboybilly
im pretty confident that unless you were convicted of the offence (or are waiting to hear from the cps etc) then you have no criminal record and nothing to declare.

i suppose this works the same if you have been found not guilty of an offence.

i would post the question on the immigration forum and see if one of the agents answers it over there.

cheers matey!
thats what I suspected.

sue
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:03 am
WBB

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
cheers matey!
thats what I suspected.

sue

no problem, hope it goes ok for you.