Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crime Statistic comparisons

Crime Statistic comparisons

Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:49 am
ABCDiamond

Default Crime Statistic comparisons

Someone recently asked where they could find Crime statistics, but I can't remember who or where.

So here is a website with info: crime stats

Here is the
UK page: http://www.nationmaster.com/country/uk/Crime
and here is the
Australia page: http://www.nationmaster.com/country/as/Crime

Similar numbers of Police in each country, per population number.
Australia: 42,047 : 2.13 per 1000 people
UK: 123,826 : 2.06 per 1000 people

Old Sep 20th 2004, 5:06 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Crime Statistic comparisons

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Without reading the stats ABCDiamond .....are the AUS and UK stats comparable in real terms i.e the variables the same? or are we measuring apples with pears??

Old Sep 20th 2004, 5:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Without reading the stats ABCDiamond .....are the AUS and UK stats comparable in real terms i.e the variables the same? or are we measuring apples with pears??
Certain things should be able to be directly comparable, but there will of course be differences where countries call a crime by a different name at times to suit local reporting. eg: I have have heard that Car theft is sometimes reported as just theft, to reduce "car theft" numbers

Unfortunately the reports do not give exactly the same headings, which, if they did, would be a very useful comparison.

Old Sep 20th 2004, 6:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

can I just pick up on so-called stats, if you look at prisoners per capita, you'll see Singapore is 17th on the list by 3.53 per 1000 people, and yet Australia is 73'd with 1.6 per1000 people. Singapore has actually less crime than in Australia and most Western countries. It's just they arrest you for sneezing, so the stats will be higher.. making crime stats seem larger than what they are
Most murders list
43. Australia 0.01 per 1000 people
44. Canada 0.01 per 1000 people
45. Chile 0.01 per 1000 people
46. United Kingdom 0.01 per 1000 people

Map & Graph: Crime: Car thefts (per capita) (Top 100 Countries)
View this stat: Totals Show map full screen

Country Description Amount
1. Australia 7.04 per 1000 people
2. Denmark 5.98 per 1000 people
3. United Kingdom 5.63 per 1000 people

Rape:
Country Description Amount
1. South Africa 1.23 per 1000 people
2. Seychelles 0.79 per 1000 people
3. Australia 0.79 per 1000 people
4. Montserrat 0.77 per 1000 people
5. Canada 0.74 per 1000 people
6. Jamaica 0.48 per 1000 people
7. Zimbabwe 0.44 per 1000 people
8. Dominica 0.34 per 1000 people
9. United States 0.30 per 1000 people
10. Iceland 0.25 per 1000 people
11. Papua New Guinea 0.24 per 1000 people
12. New Zealand 0.21 per 1000 people
13. United Kingdom 0.14 per 1000 people

You can be there all day, an look at the stats.. and you will find that UK and Aus have very similar stats (then you have two main conflicting sources in Uk crime stats, the police and the government - their stats always differ within UK, and it's also who submits what to the UN) . Crime stats, comparing the two countries , Aus and UK , some are a tiny bit lower in one country, some higher.. in layman's terms it is not any safer here in Aus than it is in the UK. Which a lot of people are trying to say they are fed up with crime in the Uk - it is the same in Aus with crime. Most Western countries have exactly the same problems.

Think I'll take up Karate (reading the rape stat's )

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 20th 2004 at 6:10 am.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 6:08 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I have have heard that Car theft is sometimes reported as just theft, to reduce "car theft" numbers
Pollyana said something similar here
Old Sep 20th 2004, 6:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wmoore
Pollyana said something similar here
Thats where I saw it most recently
I also liked steven'n'debi's comment, in the same thread: "apparently 84.53 percent of stats are made up on the spot"