crime nz

Old Feb 21st 2003, 8:19 am
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default crime nz

Hi what is the crime really like in new zealand we are under the impresion that it is quite low? although have been told by some people it has alot of gang crime (mind you they have never been to nz!!)
We are hopeing to settle on the eastern side of the north island if everything goes to plan, after a visit in the next couple of months.
Some pointers of good and bad areas would be apreciated although i think alot of you have settled in auckland,wellington,or christchurch.
thanks kerrie
Old Feb 21st 2003, 6:52 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: crime nz

Originally posted by hanley
Hi what is the crime really like in new zealand we are under the impresion that it is quite low? although have been told by some people it has alot of gang crime (mind you they have never been to nz!!)
We are hopeing to settle on the eastern side of the north island if everything goes to plan, after a visit in the next couple of months.
Some pointers of good and bad areas would be apreciated although i think alot of you have settled in auckland,wellington,or christchurch.
thanks kerrie

Hi,

This is dificult to answer. I mean its like me asking you whats crime like in wales or cornwall! Or even asking what its like in a town 50 miles down the road from you. You may have a vague idea but not really any useful info.
For what its worth, and I'm sure other people will contradict me, as a family we feel safer here. Now that does not mean crime does not happen, as a matter of fact only last week some sod went on a window smashing spree down our towns little high street! When we were in the Uk the only ever time I saw a police car in our road was when they were arresting the guy opposite! Here we quite often see a police car just driving round or chatting to shop owners or outside the school. it worried me at first because the only time you saw the police at school in the uk was when there was trouble, but I have made friends with a policemans wife who told me they just do it as a community presence thing.
As for the gang culture thing. Well it shouldn't have any effect on you unless you plan to join a gang or start a drug/prostitution/stolen goods business. The likleyhood of accidentally buying a house next to a gang HQ are very slim unless you have a desire to live in the poorer suburbs which is where they are more likely to be found.
NZ is not crime free, but lets be practical most of you will be coming with a decent wedge of money which you plan to invest in a v.nice house in a good part of town so the likelyhood of being affected by crime will be less.

Paula
Old Feb 21st 2003, 9:10 pm
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks paula, i apreciate your views, i don`t think anywhere is crime free anymore and from what you have said that was pretty much our idea of how things are there, I think the person who gave us the information on gangs (family member) where trying to be helpfull, but instead of which scared us half to death.
thanks for the help i will sleep better tonight
kerrie
Old Feb 21st 2003, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by hanley
thanks paula, i apreciate your views, i don`t think anywhere is crime free anymore and from what you have said that was pretty much our idea of how things are there, I think the person who gave us the information on gangs (family member) where trying to be helpfull, but instead of which scared us half to death.
thanks for the help i will sleep better tonight
kerrie
i agree with all that paula has said......I heard that at the last count there were close to 100 gangs operating in NZ, all involved in criminal activities. We have never encountered any but you do read about the odd drug related killing etc. You are far more likely to encounter petty crimes ie tagging/vandalism/fighting than anything major.