Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

crime in melbourne

crime in melbourne

Old May 24th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default crime in melbourne

I have a strong feeling that crime has surged in melbourne this year. Everyday I read newspapers with headlines full of - stabbings outside nightclubs, pedestrians being hit, curry bashing and hate crimes, robbings, random bullets hitting people, etc.. Is the police really helpless or that don't want to go an extra mile to curb the crime... I wonder what will happen in coming years with more and more people pouring in melbourne. Do you feel the same?

Last edited by mpgrewal; May 24th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of
Default Re: crime in melbourne

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
I have a strong feeling that crime has surged in melbourne this year. Everyday I read newspapers with headlines full of - stabbings outside nightclubs, pedestrians being hit, curry bashing and hate crimes, robbings, random bullets hitting people, etc.. Is the police really helpless or that don't want to go an extra mile to curb the crime... I wonder what will happen in coming years with more and more people pouring in melbourne. Do you feel the same?
No i don't.
Old May 24th 2009, 8:02 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: crime in melbourne

They're trying to make people from Nottingham feel more at home.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Its got a Population of nearly 4 million what do you expect a crime free city. Do you feel uneasy in Melbourne?, I certanly dont, its still one of the safest major cities in the world. The media sensationalizes a lot of it especially the CBD on a weekend, where trouble is only restricted normally the a few places! I felt a lot more uneasy in most UK cities than here
Old May 24th 2009, 9:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I have a strong feeling that crime has surged in melbourne this year. Everyday I read newspapers with headlines full of - stabbings outside nightclubs, pedestrians being hit, curry bashing and hate crimes, robbings, random bullets hitting people, etc.Do you feel the same?
I get a strong hungry sensation during KFC ads but don't eat it or think about it every day.

Relevance??

As much as "headlines" and everyday life
Old May 24th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Melbourne and feel perfectly safe.

I lived in London and felt perfectly safe.

Avoid the silly areas and you'll be fine. There is a crime virtually everywhere. Thus just be smart...
Old May 24th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

That's good to hear. Was getting a bit stressed.

Do children (mine is in secondary school) use public transport a lot? And is it safe for them to travel on their own to school?
Old May 24th 2009, 11:38 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kassy
That's good to hear. Was getting a bit stressed.

Do children (mine is in secondary school) use public transport a lot? And is it safe for them to travel on their own to school?
90% do and most are polite and helpful even when circulating in their packs
Old May 24th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
thanks for that and all your help!

I going to treat you to some authentic Indian cuisine when I get there
Old May 24th 2009, 9:15 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

There was a "shocking" story recently how a doorman or security guard got his finger chopped off. That could happen in most major Uk cities and not even make the paper.

When violence in the CBD and suburbs is so bad bashings do not make the paper then be worried.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:16 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by Kassy
thanks for that and all your help!

I going to treat you to some authentic Indian cuisine when I get there
yum
Old May 24th 2009, 9:39 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Most of the violent crime seems to be people being bashed by drunks or drunks bashing or stabbing each other outside nightclubs in the city, advoid the city nightclub/ bar area at night. Its a city of 4 million people about the same as the entire population of New Zealand so it will have more crime then cities like Perth , brisbane and Adelaide with 1.5M people each, simply becasue it has 3 times the number of people not becasue the people are any worse.

Last edited by mohogony; May 24th 2009 at 9:42 pm.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 29palms
Its got a Population of nearly 4 million what do you expect a crime free city. Do you feel uneasy in Melbourne?, I certanly dont, its still one of the safest major cities in the world. The media sensationalizes a lot of it especially the CBD on a weekend, where trouble is only restricted normally the a few places! I felt a lot more uneasy in most UK cities than here
I agree, I've been living with missus & 2 kids in inner melbourne for 6 months. Cities are generally less safe than country areas - that's a given, there are some areas that are to be avoided at certain times. But as cities go I think it is a good'un.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:53 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Except when being hit in the face with one of those ruddy great backpacks....are they trying to kill the youth of today?
Old May 25th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
There was a "shocking" story recently how a doorman or security guard got his finger chopped off. That could happen in most major Uk cities and not even make the paper.

When violence in the CBD and suburbs is so bad bashings do not make the paper then be worried.
It's a good point - this sort of activity rarely makes the papers in the UK, in Melbourne it is still fairly major news.

And also much of this inner-city and night-time violence does seem to be from certain ethnic groups, particularly Asians in the last few attacks (bouncer with finger cut off, QBH fights and attacks, good samaritan murdered the other night etc)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.