Crime in Auz?

Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

dwair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crime in Auz?

Thinking of emigrating with the family (just starting to put the jigsaw together) and have been wondering about general crime levels in Auz. I have been searching around on the web and there doesn’t seem much archived on any of the news sites so can’t really get a handle whether its not reported or its generally crime free compared to the UK.

What are your experiences?

For a bit of fun, on a scale of 1 to 10 using my personal experience – where would you put generally put Auz?

1 – Rural Cornwall where we live now – No crime - don’t lock anything unless we remember
2 – Rural N.Wales – No crime unless your English (then only very occasionally)
3 – Middle East
4 – Nice UK cities
5 – East Africa – little violence but if its not nailed down…
6 – UK sink hole estates – enough said
7 – South Africa - can bit rough and tumble at times
8 – N. Pakistan – OK apart from the bandits
9 – West Africa (peace time) – burglars ate my neighbours (not joking!)
10 – West Africa (during periods of instability) – can be decidedly iffy at times...
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crime in Auz?

Originally Posted by dwair
Thinking of emigrating with the family (just starting to put the jigsaw together) and have been wondering about general crime levels in Auz. I have been searching around on the web and there doesn’t seem much archived on any of the news sites so can’t really get a handle whether its not reported or its generally crime free compared to the UK.

For a bit of fun, on a scale of 1 to 10 using my personal experience – where would you put generally put Auz?

1 – Rural Cornwall where we live now – No crime - don’t lock anything unless we remember
2 – Rural N.Wales – No crime unless your English (then only very occasionally)
3 – Middle East
4 – Nice UK cities
5 – East Africa – little violence but if its not nailed down…
6 – UK sink hole estates – enough said
7 – South Africa - can bit rough and tumble at times
8 – N. Pakistan – OK apart from the bandits
9 – West Africa (peace time) – burglars ate my neighbours (not joking!)
10 – West Africa (during periods of instability) – can be decidedly iffy at times...
Level per head of population crime is around the same, but fewer people so fewer actual incidents.
Australia is far from crime free, well unless you live somewhere very remote, but even then can still happen
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

I dont think criminals are on the wanted down under list anymore you should try Canada

Sorry could not resist i think crime in Australia is not on the scale of
Uk at all chalk and cheese totaly different puppys
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:50 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

NationMaster

Should provide a couple of answers...
Old Mar 7th 2008, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

dwair is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol so you reckon there’s enough criminals in Auz all ready? Dam - Better stick with the wife being a baby catcher (midwife) then and forget about my future occupation for the visa app’….Anyway not considering Canada its far too cold!

If the levels of crime are similar or better than the UK I’m happy (having done 9 and 10 on the list on and off for years) although I’m more than a little interested about the reporting aspect though – looking round the web you would think that Auz is as crime free as N. Korea compared to the rest of the world

nationmaster.com – hmm - so your much less likely to get murdered with a firearm in the UK but you will get your car nicked on a regular basis although in Auz the general gov and business corruption is a little lower than the UK despite having less confidence in the legal system…
Old Mar 7th 2008, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Give or take slight variations in certain areas crime in Aus is roughly the same as crime in UK. However one may find it easier (and cheaper) to move to a better area (wrt crime) in Aus than in the UK.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:00 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

According to Nationmaster, New Zealand and Australia have the most cannabis smokers...
Ahhhhhh i see, thats why there always laid back lol
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

brissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nice

Only been to Oz for three weeks,on a look around and I noticed after a couple of days I wasn't looking over my shoulder any more,even in big cities like Sydney and Brisbane.Mind you I go to Liverpool and Manchester for work a lot,haven't felt as relaxed as I did in Oz,in those cities for a long time.Where are these nice UK cities maybe I'll go there and save myself a fortune in agents fee's,OOPS too late.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwair

MY experience is that I was never a victim of crime in either country. I've lived most recently in Glasgow, Reading, London & Brisbane. As far as people around me, I know more people who have been burgled / had their cars stolen in Australia. Venturing into any of these cities at night can be threatening.....many people here will tell you that Oz is crime free but it's simply not the case.....I suspect you're not naive enough to believe that anyway.

Regardring the legal system...its the same as the UK, people literally get away with murder all the time.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:54 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Oz - crime free find that hard to believe.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:56 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by brissyboyds
Only been to Oz for three weeks,on a look around and I noticed after a couple of days I wasn't looking over my shoulder any more,even in big cities like Sydney and Brisbane.Mind you I go to Liverpool and Manchester for work a lot,haven't felt as relaxed as I did in Oz,in those cities for a long time.Where are these nice UK cities maybe I'll go there and save myself a fortune in agents fee's,OOPS too late.
Don't fool yourself. I could read you a whole page on break ins, vandalism etc from my local paper here in Brisbane.......and I live in one of the nicer suburbs. Shootings, rapes, muggings are common in Sydney.

I'm not trying to put anyone off. I still love the place. Just be realistic with your expectations.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have crime in Australia? I'm shocked, I though it was a beautiful sunny place where nothing ever went wrong........
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

brissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
MY experience is that I was never a victim of crime in either country. I've lived most recently in Glasgow, Reading, London & Brisbane. As far as people around me, I know more people who have been burgled / had their cars stolen in Australia. Venturing into any of these cities at night can be threatening.....many people here will tell you that Oz is crime free but it's simply not the case.....I suspect you're not naive enough to believe that anyway.

Regardring the legal system...its the same as the UK, people literally get away with murder all the time.
Out of all those cities where have you felt the safest? Fred
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It's like anywhere else really, it depends where abouts you live. If you live in a nice area then generally the crime won't too bad, but if you live in the middle or on the edge of a 'bogan' area then it will be worse.

Our neighbourhood watch leaflet gets delivered once every three months, last month there were 12 reported crimes - ranging from a break in (which was actually my next door neighbour!) to a forged note being passed at the local shop, the crime rate was down 15% from the same time the previous year. Out of the 12 crimes, 8 have been solved and 4 have ongoing enquiries. I don't live in a 'bogan' area, but I don't live in a posh one either.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mjj
Don't fool yourself. I could read you a whole page on break ins, vandalism etc from my local paper here in Brisbane.......and I live in one of the nicer suburbs. Shootings, rapes, muggings are common in Sydney.

I'm not trying to put anyone off. I still love the place. Just be realistic with your expectations.
Vandalism and break ins are really not that big a deal here any more,we live in a nice enough small town, just between Liverpool and Manchester,but there has been several killings over the last ten years.Just last week some kids were given life sentences for kicking a fella to death,over some arguement and that was in a really nice area.Maybe it isn't a bad as we think,but people are starting to get afraid,especially older people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.