Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Creepy crawlies in everyday life?

Creepy crawlies in everyday life?

Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:10 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creepy crawlies in everyday life?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I'll make sure it's bug free, just have a can of mortein ready just in case.
She'll drink that
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Oh im sure you've had a few 'roaches' in yer bedroom

I'll make sure it's bug free, just have a can of mortein ready just in case.

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
She'll drink that
I heard that you cheeky git!
Old Dec 16th 2010, 10:10 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of rain and hot weather over the last week or so in Brisbane.

If our back garden is anything to go by, the insect population is booming, BIG TIME. Huge spider webs everywhere, several different species. This morning I went to put out the rubbish and walked face first into a web... not very nice. Even though I'm not scared of spiders at all, I still find myself scrambling and clawing like a madman trying to free myself.

Went to hang a towel on the back balcony a few seconds later.... just about to grab a clothes peg but stopped just in time, it was covered with baby spiders.

On the plus side, the food chain is really being bolstered and this will be great for the local wildlife.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

If our back garden is anything to go by, the insect population is booming, BIG TIME. Huge spider webs everywhere, several different species. This morning I went to put out the rubbish and walked face first into a web... not very nice. Even though I'm not scared of spiders at all, I still find myself scrambling and clawing like a madman trying to free myself.

Went to hang a towel on the back balcony a few seconds later.... just about to grab a clothes peg but stopped just in time, it was covered with baby spiders.

On the plus side, the food chain is really being bolstered and this will be great for the local wildlife.
I've found a couple of webs like that across our driveway - thats like 8 - 9 feet wide Walked straight into one late one night, very weird experience, I could imagine myself in Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, took ages to stop finding web strands on me Still not as many geckoes as usual round my way, and more flies than last year so the geckoes are sorely needed!
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Be more worried about anything driving a Ford Falcon or Holden with low profile tyres on.
Or anything with a green P on for that matter
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Originally Posted by asprilla

If our back garden is anything to go by, the insect population is booming, BIG TIME. Huge spider webs everywhere, several different species. :
Yes, we have noticed it too. Some of those spiders have mega tough webs, scares the crap out of you if you walk into one in the dark
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

In the almost 2 years I've been in Perth we've had

2 x redbacks (one in kitchen and one in garden)
1 x huntsman just a couple of weeks ago
2 x sandgropers (cute little buggers) in the garden

That's about it. Seen a couple of huntsman down at my in-laws in the SW and a huge snake crossing the road outside Margaret River.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

peggy76 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LINDZI
We hardly saw any creepy crawlies in Mackay Queensland but since being here in Maitland New South Wales a fair few !!
We spray inside and outside of the house. We just look up on the internet if we see something new.
LOL, is that in your new or old house? Lindsey xx
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
In the almost 2 years I've been in Perth we've had

2 x redbacks (one in kitchen and one in garden)
1 x huntsman just a couple of weeks ago
2 x sandgropers (cute little buggers) in the garden

That's about it. Seen a couple of huntsman down at my in-laws in the SW and a huge snake crossing the road outside Margaret River.

So what would someone generally do if they came across a redback inside their house? Reach for the bug spray or stamp on the b****r ?
Or do they run away really quickly and leave you worrying about where the hell they've gone?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
So what would someone generally do if they came across a redback inside their house? Reach for the bug spray or stamp on the b****r ?
Or do they run away really quickly and leave you worrying about where the hell they've gone?
Bug spray...though to be honest I haven't ever found a redback in any house I have ever lived in.

Redbacks tend to stay in the same area and build messy webs in outdoor hidden places (under tables, yard rubbish, sheds etc) to catch their prey. Huntsman run around on walls so suit inside the house far better - they are quick.

Huntsman I just leave alone. I haven't seen a redback for a few years. My wife has only seen 1 redback in the 9 years she has been here (Brisbane) but she's not a big gardener.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 19th 2010 at 8:03 am.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I really try not to kill anything. The redbacks we've had were 'ushered' into a jar and relocated to some bush nearby.

The huntsman was scooped up and put outside also.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I really try not to kill anything. The redbacks we've had were 'ushered' into a jar and relocated to some bush nearby.

The huntsman was scooped up and put outside also.
Our son caught a huntsman last night when he got home. It's in tall glass. Will let it go tomorrow morning across the road.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Our son caught a huntsman last night when he got home. It's in tall glass. Will let it go tomorrow morning across the road.
Your neighbours across the road will have their revenge...they'll have no insects or red backs as the hunstmans will eat their eggs...you on the other hand will be inundated
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

True story (honest) ... as I was going to my first interview in Oz I put on my jacket and my OH suddenly slapped me across the shoulder so hard I fell over ... turns out a Huntsman had decided to live in there and had decided to make an appearance. Last time I hang a jacket up outside a wardrobe ...

Then there was the time one crawled out from behind the driver's side wing-mirror as I had the window down and was motoring up the freeway. How an accident was avoided remains unknown.

It was, as they say, bicycle clip time.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I like the pest control ad that appears magically by google under this thread...

The local paper (the community one) warns that someone in the area was bitten last week by a tiny brown snake while reaching under a bush for one of her kids' toys. Last time I go and retrieve my kids' mini football...if it rolls under a bush, it can stay there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.