Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Creepy crawlies.. anyone died lately???

Creepy crawlies.. anyone died lately???

Old Nov 13th 2003, 2:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rich, excellent idea! I've met a few of those cretins this week!! I'm off to the shops to buy some clay for effigies.....

Wouldn't mind if I was being picky, but I'm just looking for admin/filing/library bookshelving, Christmas post-person maybe?!!! Something I'll turn up, I'm sure of that - just a question of when....
Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'm work in IT for banks generally, which is a much bigger field in say London than it would be here, so I was expecting a bit of a slog.
That doesn't mean I was expecting to deal with the sort of jibberers that were presented to me. It was nothing short of authentic frontier buffoonery.

I went off to work on a building site for a while - I actually really enjoyed it. It was nice to do some outdoor work.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Incidentally Suncorp in brissie have a website where I think you can register for availability for jobs, or at least they never go through recruitment agencies, and they've all sorts of jobs all over. Or have you tried them?
Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:24 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Worth a go! All leads followed up....! Thanks for that.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

At the risk of becoming your recruitment agent try this one as well...

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about...es/index.shtml

there's a few other links there too

I only know of these things as I have been

a) looking at relocating north of the border
b) I have had chances of employment with both these people.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 4:29 pm
Home and Happy

Thats the sort of stuff I'd like, esp the council; Suncorp I hadn't found, but the Council one is already on my check-it-daily list! However, many thanks - & if you have any more suggestions, please send them this way!!!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I'd post this link for all you huntsman fans out there. (Make sure you scroll down the page). Must admit it even gave me the willies the thought of handling a live huntsman.

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/ed...ers/facts.html

Muahahahahahaha!

Russ
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:22 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I am in total agreement with Dotty's post.
There's enough other stuff to worry about, ie the sun, the surf!

But just to give you an idea:

We lived in Kalamunda, Perth for 3 years (in the hills, bushy block)
Can only remember ever seeing a blue tong lizard (not dangerous)

Was at a youth hostel in Mundaring Wier in 2000 (more behind the hills). There was a redback under the outside bench. Someone saw it, but if you didn't know, you could have just sat there and not been bothered.
The rest of the 2 months we didn't see anything poisonous (we travelled Perth- Darwin-Cairns- Brisbane-Sydney)

We lived in Bridgetown (southwest) for 4 years. Lived out of town, big block, with a plant nursery.
There was a snake once, wasn't dangerous, our neighbour hacked it in half with a spade (don't ask me why!)
And in mum's potting shed thingy(with a low roof) there was a few redbacks, but mum just worked there anyway...
And there was a snake once in a corridor of my highschool, I don't think it was dangerous.

I have never heard of any friend or friend's friends being bitten by anything nasty.
I have heard of a few people having skincancer. SOme people I know, know heaps of people who have it, had it.

What some people forget, even if there are spiders/snakes, they are nearly always more afraid of you, then you are of them.

STOP WORRYING!!
And just as you said, if it's that bad, why do 18 million? people live in Australia!!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ruffy is an unknown quantity at this point

we are in adelaide and when i saw the size of the blue tounge lizzard that lives in our back garden with its family i did die.
:scared:
the good thing is when the kids get bored they have pony rides on them.