Creepy Crawlies

Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Mousy will become famous soon enough
Default Creepy Crawlies

I've never posted on here before but have read posts regularly.

We have just started the process and are currently completing our TRA. We were thinking of heading to Perth, but now house prices seem to be making it out of our reach. We thought we'd get our visa, do a reccie round Brisbane, Sunshine Coast way and then come back home to sell our house and head off for the blue skies.

This is my dilema

We have two children aged 8 and 9. Our youngest child is terrified of spiders - worse than we actually thought because the other day we heard her screaming and screaming and screaming, we ran out thinking she must've been hurt real bad to be screaming like that, but found out that her brother had pretended to throw a (tiny) spider on her. :scared: Now we are wondering if she'd actually cope in Australia with all the creepy crawlies that they have around, I don't like spiders aswell and just wanted to know how people have coped with them, do you overcome your fear. I know this may seem a silly question to a lot of you's but I'd appreciate any replies, thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:42 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Creepy Crawlies

Originally Posted by Mousy

We have just started the process and are currently completing our TRA. We were thinking of heading to Perth, but now house prices seem to be making it out of our reach. We thought we'd get our visa, do a reccie round Brisbane, Sunshine Coast way and then come back home to sell our house and head off for the blue skies.

This is my dilema

We have two children aged 8 and 9. Our youngest child is terrified of spiders - worse than we actually thought because the other day we heard her screaming and screaming and screaming, we ran out thinking she must've been hurt real bad to be screaming like that, but found out that her brother had pretended to throw a (tiny) spider on her. :scared: Now we are wondering if she'd actually cope in Australia with all the creepy crawlies that they have around, I don't like spiders aswell and just wanted to know how people have coped with them, do you overcome your fear. I know this may seem a silly question to a lot of you's but I'd appreciate any replies, thanks in advance.
firstly welcome....secondly u dont see creapy crawlies every time u open your eyes............they are just different to the bloody wasps and stuff u get in the UK....my kids actually love to seee them all and by the way they used to be scared from wasps in the UK....Chill out kids will be fine
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Now we are wondering if she'd actually cope in Australia with all the creepy crawlies that they have around, I don't like spiders aswell and just wanted to know how people have coped with them, do you overcome your fear. I know this may seem a silly question to a lot of you's but I'd appreciate any replies, thanks in advance.
"All those..."? You can go for hours and not see any.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:55 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

More people are killed each year by bee and wasp stings in the Uk then people killed by snake and spider bites in OZ each year. No one has died from a spider bite in OZ in the last 30 years. The animal that causes most death and injury to kids in OZ is dogs, same as in the Uk. You should be more worried about dogs then creepie crawlies if you have kids.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Aug 21st 2006 at 1:02 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Mousy,

Being an Aussie I am quite used to them, however, I understand how scary they can be if your NOT used to them. Unfortunately they are part of our lives here, but you can get ur house sprayed by pest controllers to get rid of them, although this is only temporary. Im afraid however its not going to stop your kids from confronting them in playgrounds, gardens etc. Whilst we do have some pretty dangerous ones here, the majority of them that lurk in our houses are the harmless ones eg daddy long legs and huntsmen, but, in saying that, u always have to be aware of the more venomous ones such as funnel webs and red backs,although after 40 something years living here, Ive never seen a funnel web yet. The main thing is to teach your kids to never go near spiders, whether they think they are harmless or not. I guess its going to be hard for u because whilst u have to teach them that spiders are dangerous, this is going to make them even more scared. I dont know how u are going to overcome this, but I sure do wish u the best of luck ! Just keep in mind that even aussie kids get scared of them too, but eventually they become used to them, so maybe the same will happen with ur kids.

Cheers,
Chris
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

PS. What the others have said is true. Ive never been bitten by a spider., but I sure as hell have been bitten by a uk wasp and I was only there a week lol

Chris
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Mousy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christinabell
Hiya Mousy,

Being an Aussie I am quite used to them, however, I understand how scary they can be if your NOT used to them. Unfortunately they are part of our lives here, but you can get ur house sprayed by pest controllers to get rid of them, although this is only temporary. Im afraid however its not going to stop your kids from confronting them in playgrounds, gardens etc. Whilst we do have some pretty dangerous ones here, the majority of them that lurk in our houses are the harmless ones eg daddy long legs and huntsmen, but, in saying that, u always have to be aware of the more venomous ones such as funnel webs and red backs,although after 40 something years living here, Ive never seen a funnel web yet. The main thing is to teach your kids to never go near spiders, whether they think they are harmless or not. I guess its going to be hard for u because whilst u have to teach them that spiders are dangerous, this is going to make them even more scared. I dont know how u are going to overcome this, but I sure do wish u the best of luck ! Just keep in mind that even aussie kids get scared of them too, but eventually they become used to them, so maybe the same will happen with ur kids.

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks for the replies everyone, maybe's I just need to change my attitude to a positive one and hopefully the kids will follow suit.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Davla is an unknown quantity at this point

Bit of spider/snake info for you!

I read recently that an aussie woman who had traveled all over oz & rest of the world found her self in intensive care in the Uk after.... now get this...... she was bitten by......... an adder in good o'l Blighty!!!! Cornwall to be precise.. Now what are the chances?? Just shows you doesn't it.
Davla

This is my dilema

Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

Hya
Ive been to Victoria a couple of times and where Ive seen a few rivers infested with crocs - dont worry they are rivers miles out of town, Ive only ever seen really big spiders way out of town - that might suit, also the house market is as cheap as chips around the Melbourne suburbs - thats where Im headed - Ive got loads of family over there.
Best of luck with the move
Louise
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Ive been to Victoria a couple of times and where Ive seen a few rivers infested with crocs - dont worry they are rivers miles out of town
In Victoria?

G
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:26 pm
of THFC

Flossie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
In Victoria?

G
Yeah, was thinking the same!!!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 9:42 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
In Victoria?

G
She's joking, crocs are only in the northern tropical part of OZ, unless they escaped from the zoo. l read a post once from a woman planning to move to Adelaide who said she was worried about sunbathing on Adelaide's beaches because she could be attacked by crocs

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Aug 21st 2006 at 11:05 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

No Im not joking - we were out past the great ocean road and one of my cousins was showing me what looked like a rock and telling me that it was infested with crocs - maybe he was trying to frighten me though! he did also tell me that there was some bug that crawls into bed when Im asleep as they follow the heat!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

maybe he was trying to frighten me though! he did also tell me that there was some bug that crawls into bed when Im asleep as they follow the heat!

Your right Louise.. he is DEFINATELY trying to frighten u. It is waaaay too cold down south for crocs. And as far as heat seeking bugs go ? Think he got u again with that one lol. Sure hate to be in his shoes once u get ur hands on him

Chris
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

No Im not joking - we were out past the great ocean road and one of my cousins was showing me what looked like a rock and telling me that it was infested with crocs
Yeah...they call it "The Crocodile Rock".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.