Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Credit Crunch' hitting jobs in rail industry down under??

'Credit Crunch' hitting jobs in rail industry down under??

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Absnmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 'Credit Crunch' hitting jobs in rail industry down under??

Hey,

As like most were in the midst of it all and an agency (Perth) are almost begging for our details as my OH works in the rail industry. Does anyone know if the rail industry is being hit in terms of employment ? I realise its not a great time by any means after reading a few other guys' posts but just wanted a few comments re rail as most seem about IT / finance sector.

Thx all
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all
Default Re: 'Credit Crunch' hitting jobs in rail industry down under??

Originally Posted by Absnmark
Hey,

As like most were in the midst of it all and an agency (Perth) are almost begging for our details as my OH works in the rail industry. Does anyone know if the rail industry is being hit in terms of employment ? I realise its not a great time by any means after reading a few other guys' posts but just wanted a few comments re rail as most seem about IT / finance sector.

Thx all
I hope not, my hubby is due to start on the railways in March, there's quite a few starting at the same time!! The job he is going to was advertised last August and I do know that they keep advertising for various positions, it depends on what your hubby does in the rail industry as to whether they are currently recruiting. My hubby is going as a signalling technician to Perth.

Mel
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Absnmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by melbert
I hope not, my hubby is due to start on the railways in March, there's quite a few starting at the same time!! The job he is going to was advertised last August and I do know that they keep advertising for various positions, it depends on what your hubby does in the rail industry as to whether they are currently recruiting. My hubby is going as a signalling technician to Perth.

Mel
wow, well my OH is a rail signal technician too, now an Installer as has the IRSE licence (not sure if they all have it??). Were just about to send our details to an agency in perth for work and was worried as the agency told me that in the last 3 weeks 2,000 has just lost their jobs so they wanted our details!! Why would we be secure and not australians (or other people lready there) ?? Made me very concerned!

Have you been sponsored? Apparently the agency said we can get a sponsorship.........
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

melbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to allmelbert is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Absnmark
wow, well my OH is a rail signal technician too, now an Installer as has the IRSE licence (not sure if they all have it??). Were just about to send our details to an agency in perth for work and was worried as the agency told me that in the last 3 weeks 2,000 has just lost their jobs so they wanted our details!! Why would we be secure and not australians (or other people lready there) ?? Made me very concerned!

Have you been sponsored? Apparently the agency said we can get a sponsorship.........
We did get sponsorship, although we had already applied for PR visa which we now have, they were very keen for him to start. They did 457 sponsorship and relocation package too. Not sure in what area they have lost the 2,000 jobs, but he's about to start so I hope that's not going to have an impact on him!!! PM me if you want anymore details!!

Mel
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Supertec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm a technical officer for London Underground waiting to be IRSE licensed at the moment. Was wondering what qualifications were needed to work on signalling Down Under, and what the pay is like relative to UK?

Also if there are any companies sponsoring UK nationals to go over there.

Phil
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Supertec
Hi, I'm a technical officer for London Underground waiting to be IRSE licensed at the moment. Was wondering what qualifications were needed to work on signalling Down Under, and what the pay is like relative to UK?

Also if there are any companies sponsoring UK nationals to go over there.

Phil
The situation in Perth/WA, is to prove you have done an apprenticeship with a qualification. You will need to go through the Vetassess assessment to have your skills assessed to attain a provisional electrical licence. If applying for somewhere like Sydney, then I'm not 100% sure but I think you will still need to have a qualification and again done an apprenticeship, although there they test your skills through the TRA. The IRSE is not recognised as a license. A trainee wage (in Perth) is around $62k. You will need to then get fully licensed (as a sparkie) to progress from a trainee.

Hubby got sponsorship but I heard that that particular company have stopped recruiting for the time being.

Hope this helps.

Mel
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I think that railways are included in the massive infrastructure spending that it is hoped will kick-start the economic recovery. Try Googling with "Rudd economic stimulus package".
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

There does seem to be a lot of Engineering jobs being advertised in Rail at the moment.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

You're right, there are lots of engineering jobs, but as a signalling technician, it's a very different kettle of fish - so to speak!!!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Supertec is an unknown quantity at this point

The situation in Perth/WA, is to prove you have done an apprenticeship with a qualification. You will need to go through the Vetassess assessment to have your skills assessed to attain a provisional electrical licence. If applying for somewhere like Sydney, then I'm not 100% sure but I think you will still need to have a qualification and again done an apprenticeship, although there they test your skills through the TRA. The IRSE is not recognised as a license. A trainee wage (in Perth) is around $62k. You will need to then get fully licensed (as a sparkie) to progress from a trainee.

Hubby got sponsorship but I heard that that particular company have stopped recruiting for the time being.

Hope this helps.

Mel
Thanks Mel

I'm assuming you mean an Australian apprenticeship, and not a British one? I haven't done that as such, but I have completed the same courses and have the same qualifications as a London Underground apprentice would have.

I've noticed the same thing all across rail careers sites - lots of jobs for senior signal and design engineers, very few for 'outside' staff, testers. fault finders etc.

Posts like that are probably filled more through word-of-mouth. Not what you know, but who you know.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Supertec
Thanks Mel

I'm assuming you mean an Australian apprenticeship, and not a British one? I haven't done that as such, but I have completed the same courses and have the same qualifications as a London Underground apprentice would have.

I've noticed the same thing all across rail careers sites - lots of jobs for senior signal and design engineers, very few for 'outside' staff, testers. fault finders etc.

Posts like that are probably filled more through word-of-mouth. Not what you know, but who you know.
No, I do mean a British one!! I saw the job advertised on the internet and my hubby applied in the usual way, he was interviewed in London and got the job, we go in a month!! He has been there since he left school and he did go back to college to qualify as a sparky as we were moving there anyway and at the time they weren't looking for railway staff!!

Try the railwaypeople website!

Good luck!!

Mel
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

gardenpeas is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 'Credit Crunch' hitting jobs in rail industry down under??

Hope this helps.

Mel
Hi,
Being IRSE licenced will certainly help in any railway job application as it is a worldwide recognised licence. However you do need an electricians licence to be employed by the railway to work on signalling equipment in Australia mainly in WA. I do know that you dont require one in NSW but you do need to satisfy TRA requirements( finished apprenticeship with paperwork to show this) and at least 4 yrs experience too.All railjobs.com have many signalling vacancies worldwide.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are about to go and have been in touch with workers over there, my hubby was worrying that his IRSE was about to run out, he has been told not to worry as it's not currently recognised over there, it may help in gaining a job, but it doesn't seem that it's needed to take with you. That's what we've been told, if we're wrong then we're wrong, but I don't think it would matter if it has or is about to expire.

Mel
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:16 am
Just Joined

sikofbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

We are about to go and have been in touch with workers over there, my hubby was worrying that his IRSE was about to run out, he has been told not to worry as it's not currently recognised over there, it may help in gaining a job, but it doesn't seem that it's needed to take with you. That's what we've been told, if we're wrong then we're wrong, but I don't think it would matter if it has or is about to expire.

Mel
congrats on your move... my oh is in the rail industry but not on the signalling side he's on the overheads, you'd of thought oz being such a vast country (or i would of) that this would be popular but iv searched and searched and it doesnt seem to be comman at all which is very dissapointing.
all jobs iv seen seem to be the higher level of the industry and signalling, good luck with the move anyway
karen
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even pretend to understand the ins and outs of the rail industry - its not one I've ever had any experience with, but I do recall in the last couple of weeks reading that, certainly in QLD at least, they believe the rail industry will be one of the few strong industries this year due to the increase in infrastructure planning that is going on.

Good luck to you all.