Credit Cards

Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Cards

Does anyone have any Idea on the chances of getting a Credit card when you just arrive to Australia?

Is there any options chances with no credit record?

I´m arriving to Melbourne next month and would like to have one since the ones I already have will not work there...

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:41 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Credit Cards

Hiya evila,

why won't the ones you already have not work there...

I think the Commonwelth Bank offer you credit cards. as do the HSBC. Take a look on their web sites.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 28th 2004, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Hi markeh

I´m originally from Venezuela where there is now a law that prevents credit cards to receive charges in foreign currency.

Glad that CBA and HSBC offer credit card, but do they give you one without any credit record?

Cheers...

Enrique.-

Originally posted by markeh
Hiya evila,

why won't the ones you already have not work there...

I think the Commonwelth Bank offer you credit cards. as do the HSBC. Take a look on their web sites.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 28th 2004, 5:03 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Enrique,

I didn't realise that in Venezuela there is now a law that prevents credit cards to receive charges in foreign currency.

Won't that stop you using it anywhere abroad?

I think thjat they will ccredit score you, but considering you have just moved country's you should get one, aginst the money you take with you.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 28th 2004, 8:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by evila
Hi markeh

I´m originally from Venezuela where there is now a law that prevents credit cards to receive charges in foreign currency.

Glad that CBA and HSBC offer credit card, but do they give you one without any credit record?

Cheers...

Enrique.-
Normally they would prefer you to have worked at least 3 months (permanently) with a minimum annual wage of $15,000 . HSBC do give out credit cards to recent migrants but often it is on the condition of placing a bond to the value of the credit limit.

BTW I use the Virgin card because it is one of the few with no annual fee.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 1:25 am

gedge has disabled reputation

We've just been granted a HSBC credit card. Only been here 7 weeks.
Filled out some forms online and was asked to fax copy of visa from passport. That was it.

No bond or minimum work period. However we do have good history with HSBC, and a credit card from the UK, and money in the bank.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:38 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JulesandChris
We've just been granted a HSBC credit card. Only been here 7 weeks.
Filled out some forms online and was asked to fax copy of visa from passport. That was it.

No bond or minimum work period. However we do have good history with HSBC, and a credit card from the UK, and money in the bank.
We also have a good credit history with HSBC (15 years!) and still bank with them here, but we were asked to put a hold on money in our account equal to the card credit limit. You've been lucky.

You must also be a very good typist as I gave up on the online application because it doesn't let you go back and correct mistakes!

Jane
Old Mar 29th 2004, 3:05 am

Originally posted by JaneandJim
We also have a good credit history with HSBC (15 years!) and still bank with them here, but we were asked to put a hold on money in our account equal to the card credit limit. You've been lucky.

You must also be a very good typist as I gave up on the online application because it doesn't let you go back and correct mistakes!

Jane
Well it did take more than a few attempts!

Make sure you've got all your details before starting - work address, previous address, landlord contact, current bank account etc.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 3:08 am

Originally posted by bondipom
BTW I use the Virgin card because it is one of the few with no annual fee.
Any comments on the Virgin cc service? Any hassles or bonuses?

HSBC is free for first year then you get charged. I don't know how much cos by then I hope to have changed to Virgin or other.
HSBC never charged me in the UK.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

We received our Virgin credit cards a couple of weeks ago.... no probs so far, but i guess its a bit early to tell!!!

we have only been in Oz a few months and hadnt had any other cards here, yet they gave us one straight away. Cusomer service agents are crap, but they are like that everywhere!
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:01 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

So can anybody with the Virgin C/C please enlighten me as to where I can get the application form from in order to apply???

Excuse me naivety, (if thats how its spelt, not french so I don't know) but is it the same Virgin that Dickie Branson owns???

Daft Q but just wondered.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

www.virginmoney.com.au

The daft thing is the back end processing is done by Westpac who charge $35 a year for a similiar service. So far the virgin card has been fine but I have not needed to test their customer service.

I believe it was TinaJ who was asked for the bond from HSBC. Credit worthiness is down to a lot of factors and each institution has their own scoring method. Something else I have always had to fill in is my drivers license no.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Been using a virgin credit card for about 6 months now no problems. If you time it right you can get up to 2 months free credit before you have to pay the bill, whereas with my ANZ card the max was about 5 weeks. I've now cancalled my ANZ card before they start chargeing me for it (was free but introduced charges begining this year sometime about $45 I seem to recall).
Old Mar 29th 2004, 12:29 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Top man BP,

Ta mate
Old Mar 29th 2004, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

guess there is no easy answer and will have to wait until I get there next month...

Thanks anyway to averybody who posted...

Enrique.-

Originally posted by evila
Does anyone have any Idea on the chances of getting a Credit card when you just arrive to Australia?

Is there any options chances with no credit record?

I´m arriving to Melbourne next month and would like to have one since the ones I already have will not work there...

Thanks in advance for any advice...