Credit Cards

Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Jo Cousins will become famous soon enough
Default Credit Cards

Hiya

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a credit card straight away with an HSBC account opened up here? I understand that the majority of u seem in favour of opening up an account before leaving the UK online which i plan to do next month, but i was wondering where we stand with getting a credit card considering we will have no credit history either in Oz or with the HSBC?? It isn't the end of the world if we cant get a card but it is nice to have the back up just incase of an unexpected eventuality....

appreciate any help
jo
Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:19 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: Credit Cards

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
Hiya

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a credit card straight away with an HSBC account opened up here?
HSBC can do this. Sadly, with my case they sent the card to my local UK branch of HSBC, who just left it in a drawer and forgot to tell me to come get it. I think it's still over there.

I remember that I sent a fair bit of faxed documentation to get the card - though I don't remember if I was asked for it or if I just thought if I send UK cc statements and bank account statements that would make them feel better about signing me up with little Aus credit history.

I got hold of a replacement card when I got to Aus.

If a shop takes credits cards they'll also take EFTPOS (ATM) cards (which HSBC.au will give you). They use the exact same machine to check EFTPOS cards as they use for credit cards.

BTW, if you have a fair bit of cash in your HSBC.au account, don't be affraid to ask for a big credit limit. I think they say new customers get $2k. I asked for and got $20k, but I'm rich
Old Aug 8th 2003, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jo Cousins
Hiya

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a credit card straight away with an HSBC account opened up here? I understand that the majority of u seem in favour of opening up an account before leaving the UK online which i plan to do next month, but i was wondering where we stand with getting a credit card considering we will have no credit history either in Oz or with the HSBC?? It isn't the end of the world if we cant get a card but it is nice to have the back up just incase of an unexpected eventuality....

appreciate any help
jo
Beware. Like almost every other institution in Australia, HSBC doesn't seem to want to trust you unless you can prove that you have paid employment in Australia.

Despite the fact that I had banked with HSBC in the UK for 20 years, had a large wad of dosh in their bank, and already had several credit cards, the Australian arm refused to give me an HSBC credit card unless I opened a term deposit account equal to my credit limit. I am unable to withdraw from this account while I keep the credit card (the reason being that if I do a runner they get their money back I suppose).

Despite that, I had to get the card because a) Why use your own money when you can use th bank's for 56 days, and b) HSBC only allow EFTPOS transactions up to $800 per day which is pretty useless if you want to buy a holiday or a new sofa etc.

I get really pissed off with this 'employmentism' discrimination. It doesn't matter if you have a few million $$$s in the bank and a large income. If you don't work for an employer you can't have a free credit card and you can't have a mobile phone contract. How out of date is that ?
Old Aug 8th 2003, 12:40 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

I get really pissed off with this 'employmentism' discrimination. It doesn't matter if you have a few million $$$s in the bank and a large income. If you don't work for an employer you can't have a free credit card and you can't have a mobile phone contract. How out of date is that ?
HSBC didn't require me to work for an employer to have my credit card. Telstra didn't require it either for my mobile contract.

Ok, so HSBC knew I had a lot of money, Telstra didn't - they just needed 100 points of ID.