Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Debt

Credit Card Debt

Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Card Debt

Originally Posted by winedonju
however desperate a situation, it doesn't give you the right to break the law!
Oh dear, I never said it did. The point I was making is that people who might be considering it due to falling on hard times could use these threads to find better ways round. I do not condone stealing. I thought that was clear from what I was saying.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy these threads

The fact of the matter is they might come after you or they might not, the only sensible poster on this is centurion, I think he used to work in the debt industry. If I remember correctly he reckons despite all the bull wrote down about them getting firms to chase you they would be pretty toothless with regards to the law here.

I am not saying you should or shouldn't run away from a debt, it is only yourself that knows what is right and wrong in your life.

I often wonder though, that those posters who scream and shout the loudest about this subject may be the ones with a little bit of a guilty secret to hide. Just to make things clear I am not pointing a finger at any poster on this thread, it is just a way I feel.

John
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Oh dear, I never said it did. The point I was making is that people who might be considering it due to falling on hard times could use these threads to find better ways round. I do not condone stealing. I thought that was clear from what I was saying.
OK maybe I'm wrong but I read from his second post that he has been advised to do this and is wondering if he'd get away with it and how 'he could do with a few more dollars'. I don't think he was asking for altruistic reasons on behalf of people falling on hard times.

Jond, you may be right but IMO people complain about this sort of thing because they know that it's because of people doing just this sort of fraud that keeps the interest rates on credit cards higher than it needs be. It's the same as theft in shops, everything is priced higher than it should be to cover the shop financially from shoplifters. Also why should people be honest and struggle for years before coming in order to pay off debts and start with a clean slate when they know others happily defraud the finance companies.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

rockitman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Thanks Nige. I think you have understood where I'm coming from.

Unless we're actually living in an Orwellian state complete with thought police I haven't actually done anything wrong.

My friend gave me the impression lots of people do it, almost like it was "the done thing". That may have been a bit naive but that's why I was asking the question. I have no real need to do it and the last thing I want is to get all this sorted and then get sent back to the UK.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Jond, you may be right but IMO people complain about this sort of thing because they know that it's because of people doing just this sort of fraud that keeps the interest rates on credit cards higher than it needs be. It's the same as theft in shops, everything is priced higher than it should be to cover the shop financially from shoplifters.

IMO a bit of a naive view, do you think that if all credit card debts, this includes fraud, theft and the type of thing we are talking about stopped tonight that the companies would reduce their rates tomorrow. Not a chance in hell.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rockitman
Thanks Nick, that is exactly what I was looking for. Would it lead to you getting deported though?

Fluffy, I'm not here to make trouble, I'm just asking questions. I used to run a messageboard myself many moons ago and I was never partial to the clique's that formed and usually pushed new people away. That's why I went on the offensive. I will have lots more questions over the coming months to do with my migration and very few will have anything to do with financial matters.
If you have debts in the uk it will be a civil action against you and not a criminal one.
However if you willfully spend , knowing you will not be honouring these debts - then that is criminal .
Can't really see them pursuing you to the other side of the world - but who knows?
Depends what visa you are applying for - you might need police checks in 2 years time for a 495.
What happens if you need to return to the uk in an emergency?
What happens if you hate oz and decide to return.
What happens if you develop a life threatening disease and decide you want to go back home to be treated and be with family?
Debts are written off after 7 years - but 7 years is an awful long time.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nick11
If you have debts in the uk it will be a civil action against you and not a criminal one.
However if you willfully spend , knowing you will not be honouring these debts - then that is criminal .
Can't really see them pursuing you to the other side of the world - but who knows?
Depends what visa you are applying for - you might need police checks in 2 years time for a 495.
What happens if you develop a life threatening disease and decide you want to go back home to be treated and be with family?

Spot on post.

Only the individual can decide if they can put up with all the above.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Thankyou. That is exactly the information I was looking for.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
I enjoy these threads

The fact of the matter is they might come after you or they might not, the only sensible poster on this is centurion, I think he used to work in the debt industry. If I remember correctly he reckons despite all the bull wrote down about them getting firms to chase you they would be pretty toothless with regards to the law here.

I am not saying you should or shouldn't run away from a debt, it is only yourself that knows what is right and wrong in your life.

I often wonder though, that those posters who scream and shout the loudest about this subject may be the ones with a little bit of a guilty secret to hide. Just to make things clear I am not pointing a finger at any poster on this thread, it is just a way I feel.

John
Basically yes, if you skip out on credit card debt you will probably get away with it. By probably I mean almost certainly. I'll skip over rewriting a complete summary of what they can't do to you. A search on old debt threads has many discussions on the point.

Also yes, its completely wrong to do and I'm not suggesting anyone should but thats the fact of the matter despite whether some find it distasteful.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:44 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

In concept yes, however proving that would be near impossible and its pretty much never going to happen.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Centurion
In concept yes, however proving that would be near impossible and its pretty much never going to happen.
Agreed - however it depends how greedy you are.
Personally I think peope who don't pay their debts are .......................!!
I'll leave it up to you to decide!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Centurion
Basically yes, if you skip out on credit card debt you will probably get away with it. By probably I mean almost certainly. I'll skip over rewriting a complete summary of what they can't do to you. A search on old debt threads has many discussions on the point.

Also yes, its completely wrong to do and I'm not suggesting anyone should but thats the fact of the matter despite whether some find it distasteful.

Thanks

I knew you would come on as a voice of reason amongst all the hysteria that this type of post always attracts.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Wow lol.

I would feel guilty leaving for Australia and leaving £1 of debt on my credit card.

Purposly getting in debt, then not paying it off though? Similar sort of person that would steal from their own grandmother no doubt. Dishonest low-lifes tbqfh!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by xzibit
Wow lol.

I would feel guilty leaving for Australia and leaving £1 of debt on my credit card.

Purposly getting in debt, then not paying it off though? Similar sort of person that would steal from their own grandmother no doubt. Dishonest low-lifes tbqfh!
2 quick questions:

If you found a fiver in the street would you go and hand it in?
If someone gives you too much change in a shop do you hand it back?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rockitman
2 quick questions:

If you found a fiver in the street would you go and hand it in?
If someone gives you too much change in a shop do you hand it back?
If found in the street, goes in the charity box.

I never count my change, I just shove it in my pocket.

But come on, it's a bit different from planning on stealing from some of the worlds largest banks!

Prison ftw!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.