Wikiposts

Credit card

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

gavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant future
Default Re: Credit card

We opened a bank account with Westpac from the UK before we moved. When we arrived we had to go to the branch to prove who we were. They told us we could have a credit card if we wanted even though we'd just arrived as they were quite used to the problem of no Aus credit record and could push it through if we asked. This was at the George/King Branch in Sydney where they no doubt deal with dozens of migrants every week, you might get a different answer at another branch.

Anyway we decided not to go with their fee-paying cards and applied to Virgin. I got a card, once that was issued I applied for and received a second user card for Mrs R. We haven't had to show Virgin any ID of any sort at any stage.

We've got PR so the status of our claims to residency isn't at question.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
you crazy old git
I am not crazy...... just a bit mental
Sorry took so long replying but I have to have an afternoon nap which seems to have gone on a bit longer than expected.... :scared:
Cheers Odgit
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gavinrobertson
We opened a bank account with Westpac from the UK before we moved. When we arrived we had to go to the branch to prove who we were. They told us we could have a credit card if we wanted even though we'd just arrived as they were quite used to the problem of no Aus credit record and could push it through if we asked. This was at the George/King Branch in Sydney where they no doubt deal with dozens of migrants every week, you might get a different answer at another branch.

Anyway we decided not to go with their fee-paying cards and applied to Virgin. I got a card, once that was issued I applied for and received a second user card for Mrs R. We haven't had to show Virgin any ID of any sort at any stage.

We've got PR so the status of our claims to residency isn't at question.
The only reason you didn't have to show ID when collecting your Virgin card was because you were already a Westpac customer (and had presumably already been ID'd by Westpac). Virgin cards are really just another Westpac card.

It's different for people who apply for Virgin cards who are not existing Westpac customers. They would almost always have to show some sort of ID. I'd just suggest that they use something other than a UK passport, if their residency status was in doubt.