Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Craigie pong!!!!!!

Craigie pong!!!!!!

Old Apr 4th 2003, 12:07 pm
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Craigie pong!!!!!!

Ok, so we have now heard about the 'Craigie Pong!! But can anyone give us an idea just how bad it is, and how far it stretches! What suburbs are affected, where is best avoided?
Is it really that bad??! Is it getting any better??

I have noticed that house prices seem to be cheaper around that area. Is this a coincidence??

Any info much welcome!
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:09 pm
happy bunny!!

Default Come on!!! someone must know!!

Come on.......someone must know about this!!

Where is PB when I need him??!!

Or is it all hush, hush..............
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i've got a good fiend in perth

i'll email him and ask..

cheers

richard
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

that should read 'friend' ....
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:16 pm
happy bunny!!

Originally posted by r.bartlett
that should read 'friend' ....
Thank you Richard, I thought my pleas were going unheard!!
Old Apr 6th 2003, 9:29 pm
happy bunny!!

Default Re: Come on!!! someone must know!!

Originally posted by sully4441
Now come on, keep up with things. You know old PB doesn't play at weekends. Wait till he gets to work on monday, then ask.
Get a reply before his happy hour starts, but remenber, you did ask for his opinion, so no moaning if it bursts your bubble. Have fun
LMS
So true, I forgot he was only online in work time!!
I would never moan about his opinion, I value every little word that comes out of his mouth!!!
i just want the truth and we can count on PB for that eh??
Old Apr 6th 2003, 11:46 pm
Perthguy1

Default Re: Craigie pong!!!!!!

Originally posted by teresa.c
Ok, so we have now heard about the 'Craigie Pong!! But can anyone give us an idea just how bad it is, and how far it stretches! What suburbs are affected, where is best avoided?
Is it really that bad??! Is it getting any better??

I have noticed that house prices seem to be cheaper around that area. Is this a coincidence??

Any info much welcome!
The houses in Craigie aren't cheap because of the smell, they are just old and small. I think it depends on which way the wind blows as to where the smell is. You can smell it coming up the freeway, which means that even the Craigie side of Woodvale probably gets it and that isn't a cheap suburb. Beldon is the opposite side and a friend of mine lived there and didn't get it.
It comes from the Beenyup treatment plant .

Old Apr 7th 2003, 1:42 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Come on!!! someone must know!!

Originally posted by teresa.c
So true, I forgot he was only online in work time!!
I would never moan about his opinion, I value every little word that comes out of his mouth!!!
i just want the truth and we can count on PB for that eh??

This plant is the pits I smell it on the freeway going both ways morning and afternoon .
Avoid some of Woodvale , most of Padbury , Craige and parts of Beldon it blows a pong all around theses areas .
Out of these only Woodvalle is worth living in its got a great ale house and better suburb than the rest , I did live in Padbury for awhile in Pinneroo good views over the Valley and it was an ex-radio presenters home so he had spent loads of dosh on it but the Suburb is crap no Pub and most of it is down at heel.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 1:43 am
Just Joined

simoni is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I live in Woodvale and I've never smelt it. However, I have a friend who lives right next to the water plant in Craigie and he can smell it now and again. It depends on the weather and something to do with the temperature inversion layers i.e. the smell is kept at ground level due to heavier air (i.e. colder) above it. Doesn't seem to happen to often apparently.

I did read somewhere that they are spending a lot of money to fix it though.

The houses in Craigie are a lot smaller and older than the surrounding suburbs. Typically 3x1 on smallish blocks. That is why they are cheaper.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 1:51 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by simoni

I did read somewhere that they are spending a lot of money to fix it though.

The houses in Craigie are a lot smaller and older than the surrounding suburbs. Typically 3x1 on smallish blocks. That is why they are cheaper.
The older blocks in most Perth Surburbs are bigger than the new ones mine in Padbury was 900 square and Craigie is no different even though some are smaller homes, if you are lucky it may be worth buying an older home and subdivide the land , land right now is going through the roof most is being sold by auction only now.
As for the smell its there believe me not a great thing to be near.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 8th 2003 at 2:49 am.
Old Apr 7th 2003, 9:32 pm
happy bunny!!

Default Thanks everyone.....

Thanks everyone for the info....I was just very curious.