Reload this Page >

Couran Cove - South Stradbroke Island

Wikiposts

Couran Cove - South Stradbroke Island

Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:22 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Wink Couran Cove - South Stradbroke Island

Hie, did a search on the forum but found nothing so thought I would ask if anybody has been to the Couran Cove Resort on South Stradbroke ?
We have got friends coming over from the UK in August and was looking at the Whitsundays but decided it was too far and too expensive with airfares ( I thought it was only a couple of hours drive from Brisbane !! They nice man in the travel agent told me it was around 14, which with 4 kids is around 13 hours too many).

So any good/ bad / reports from you guys, the friends obviously want the beach holiday with the resort style feel, going for around 3/4 night depending on the cost, any first hand experiences would be appreciated as they have left it up to me to book something nice and I don't want to have them crying when we arrive and find out its Butlins in the sun.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Couran Cove - South Stradbroke Island

How about this link:

http://www.tourismgoldcoast.com/couran_cove/
Couran Cove Island Resort is simply somewhere very special - a unique Australian island experience. Just over two years old Couran Cove Island Resort has picked up a number of awards from national tourism, architectural and environmental bodies and, in that short time, has become regarded as Australia's finest nature resort.

Set in 151 hectares of rainforest and nature reserve with breathtaking views, the resort offers a range of first class accommodation, an array of sporting facilities, resort and nature activities, superb dining and warm Australian hospitality - all in perfect harmony with nature.
Not been, but it sounds better than Butlins

Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:38 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dagboy has been - he said it was very nice. (And no, I didnt get to go!)
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:06 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by leanda
Hie, did a search on the forum but found nothing so thought I would ask if anybody has been to the Couran Cove Resort on South Stradbroke ?
We have got friends coming over from the UK in August and was looking at the Whitsundays but decided it was too far and too expensive with airfares ( I thought it was only a couple of hours drive from Brisbane !! They nice man in the travel agent told me it was around 14, which with 4 kids is around 13 hours too many).

So any good/ bad / reports from you guys, the friends obviously want the beach holiday with the resort style feel, going for around 3/4 night depending on the cost, any first hand experiences would be appreciated as they have left it up to me to book something nice and I don't want to have them crying when we arrive and find out its Butlins in the sun.

Thanks.
They ran a competition in the building I work in and the prize was a long-w/e at Couran Cove. All the info I saw on it, looked gorgeous!!

Whitsundays can be done quite cheapily now though, I flew to Mackay and got the bus up. Just had a look on jetstar, you could fly for $78return, the bus (Greyhound) was about $15 when I did it a while ago. Just another option
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Brizbound will become famous soon enoughBrizbound will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mlbonner
They ran a competition in the building I work in and the prize was a long-w/e at Couran Cove. All the info I saw on it, looked gorgeous!!

Whitsundays can be done quite cheapily now though, I flew to Mackay and got the bus up. Just had a look on jetstar, you could fly for $78return, the bus (Greyhound) was about $15 when I did it a while ago. Just another option
Tangalooma is another option.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:08 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brizbound
Yep, we go across to Moreton a lot, is vert nice. Quad bike, fishing, boat, scuba, snorkelling hire. Kids would love it, as if you stay at the resort you can hand feed the dolphins at night. Either need a 4WD or to go on the Tangalooma Flyer (passenger cruiser)
Old Jan 21st 2005, 9:18 pm
Merlot

Went on a work junket amny moons ago - fabulous from what I remember!!! I think it is on the fairly pricy side but maybe that has changed.

Too much time testing Australian wines, hehe

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Yep, we go across to Moreton a lot, is vert nice. Quad bike, fishing, boat, scuba, snorkelling hire. Kids would love it, as if you stay at the resort you can hand feed the dolphins at night. Either need a 4WD or to go on the Tangalooma Flyer (passenger cruiser)
Would also recommend Tangalooma, especially with the kids. Me & hubby prefer Straddie as it seems more natural and wild, but Tangalooma was great fun and we did get pictures of us feeding the dolphins (at a small charge of course!).

Sandy
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brizbound

Fraser Island would be another option.

Tangalooma is good but don't think I could spend 3/4 days there, stayed for one night back in June/July. Had a really good weekend but thought the place was looking a liitle run down and in need of a makeover, the doplhin viewing/feeding is good though, as was the sand tobagonning but bloody warm walking up to the top.

We paid approx $110 for the room, booking through www.wotif.com (which is a good site if you want a short notice hotel booking, I often go on the site and then ring the hotels direct and get a similar deal though.) the only problem was you then have to pay about $55 each to get there on The Tangalooma Flyer.

On The Whitsundays, we decided to drive up and stayed at Mackay on the way up and Rockhampton on the way back. Its probably about an 11hr drive/1000km in total.

Oh yeh Couran Cove, not been there, sorry!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Dave, Tracy & Emily is on a distinguished road

Dave and I went to the resort a couple of years ago, it was great, relaxing and enjoyable, highly recommended.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:24 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by leanda

Thanks.
Hello, I spotted this yesterday and thought the name rang a bell, so contacted my sister who stayed their three or four years ago. It looked like a fab resort although out of my price range, so I contacted her and here is her reply:

"Yes, we did go to Curran Cove. Who do you know that's going?
A FANTASTIC place - but I'm sure it was expensive. In terms of VFM, I guess you get what you pay for. The place we stayed in was very luxurious (a lodge over the sand - looking out to the sea), but I think there were different grades of accommodation - ours was near the higher end. Lots for kids and adults to do - two lovely pools and the sea. You rode around on bikes everywhere e.g. through the woods. Lots of wallabies everywhere. There were activities like tennis and there was a big playground area. Think there was canoeing as well - but our two were too small at the time. Lots of wildlife-related activities as well I think e.g. walks & talks. All seems a long time ago. You could self-cater, but I don't think that the shop sold much. We ate out most nights - there was a choice of venues from pizza place to upmarket restaurant. There was also a beauty salon. A funny mixture of up-market facilities, but a very down to earth holiday - all t-shirts and swimsuits. Remember thinking that the holiday makers were not particularly posey - no flashy designer types given the upmarket prices. There were a couple of posh boats moored there though."

Hope this helps!

Old Jan 29th 2005, 3:19 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys for all the replys, and good news its ok as we booked it, got a good deal, works out for 2 couples with 2 kids each, $650 per couple for 4 nights, we are really looking forward to it.

Went to Tangalooma Wild Dolphin Resort last Xmas and stayed for 5 nights, which was 4 too many, agree with the run down comments made, it was all a bit old and the really expensive villa we stayed in had seen better days thats why I was worrying about Couran Cove but it seems nice, so you just have to pay your money and take your chances.

Thanks.