Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Couple on World trip...where to stay??

Couple on World trip...where to stay??

Old Jul 24th 2004, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Couple on World trip...where to stay??

Me, Jackie (34) and my partner Paul (49) are going on a world trip in Jan / Feb 05 to Singapore, Bali, Perth, Brisbane, Fiji, Hawaii & LA and are looking for cheap places to stay. As we are a couple are hostels an option? What about camping? Even sleeping at airports!! We have read online that Singapore is good for crashing out!!!

We both work for London (Scotland Yard) Police who have allowed us to have two months special leave so we are starting our research now. Any advice re any of the countries above would be very much appreciated.

Cheers J n P xx
Old Jul 24th 2004, 2:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple on World trip...where to stay??

If hostels are the sort of accommodation that interests you, try the YHA Australia. There's no specific age limit and lots of older people use YHAs.
http://www.yha.org.au

You should get YHA membership cards in the UK before you leave:
http://www.yha.org.uk

I'm not sure what YHA coverage is in the other countries, but it's likely to be a useful option in Australia.

Jeremy

Originally posted by jacknscoob
Me, Jackie (34) and my partner Paul (49) are going on a world trip in Jan / Feb 05 to Singapore, Bali, Perth, Brisbane, Fiji, Hawaii & LA and are looking for cheap places to stay. As we are a couple are hostels an option? What about camping? Even sleeping at airports!! We have read online that Singapore is good for crashing out!!!

We both work for London (Scotland Yard) Police who have allowed us to have two months special leave so we are starting our research now. Any advice re any of the countries above would be very much appreciated.

Cheers J n P xx
Old Jul 24th 2004, 2:46 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Couple on World trip...where to stay??

Hi there

When I was travelling I booked most things through www.hostelworld.com covers all countries (hostels and cheaper hotels.) If you join I think you also get a £1 off each booking or something as well.
I also had a VIP card (same sort of thing as a YHA card) which came in handy for accommodation and trip discounts.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hey "visa angel" - congrats and coolio re u getting ur visa. We lodged an application in June this year...so are on the waiting game at the mo. Cant Wait!!! xx
Old Jul 24th 2004, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackie
Me and hubby stayed in hostels whilst travelling in Oz....quite a few hostels had double rooms as well as dorms so if you prefer, you can have your own room.

We also did a lot of camping but had our own camping equip...however, there are lots of campsites with cabins/mobile homes.

We have also used www.wotif.com to book hotels - great for snapping up last-minute deals - you can often get top hotels at less than half of list price (altho you can only book up to 2 weeks in advance). Wotif.com covers countries/cities worlwide.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I can recommned the Captain cook sailing safari in Fiji it cost £114 each for 3 day adventure, on a tall saling ship. You sleep on your own island back to nature, i.e showering in the rainforest on the island open air. Just great.

Heres a link http://www.captaincook.com.au/adventure/index.htm

Worth every penny and you get to see real Fiji by visitng a remote island and they put on a show for you etc.

One of the best things I did when we travelled.

By the way most people I know stay at the backpackers just up the road from my work on Edward street in Brisbane. It has a great bar and is right across the road from the train station.

heres a link to it http://www.palacebackpackers.com.au/

LA - we stayed in Beverly hills and loved it and would recommend staying in that area. As we felt safe there. I could recommend our hotel the Beverly Hilton, i liked it's position as it wasn't far from all the action and had plenty going on.

Perth - We stayed at the Sullivans hotel just outside the city by a 10 min walk, it is small but clean and popular.

http://www.sullivans.com.au/

Hope this helps

Carrianne
Old Jul 25th 2004, 4:25 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

I can recommned the Captain cook sailing safari in Fiji it cost £114 each for 3 day adventure, on a tall saling ship. You sleep on your own island back to nature, i.e showering in the rainforest on the island open air. Just great.

Heres a link http://www.captaincook.com.au/adventure/index.htm

Worth every penny and you get to see real Fiji by visitng a remote island and they put on a show for you etc.

One of the best things I did when we travelled.

By the way most people I know stay at the backpackers just up the road from my work on Edward street in Brisbane. It has a great bar and is right across the road from the train station.

heres a link to it http://www.palacebackpackers.com.au/

LA - we stayed in Beverly hills and loved it and would recommend staying in that area. As we felt safe there. I could recommend our hotel the Beverly Hilton, i liked it's position as it wasn't far from all the action and had plenty going on.

Perth - We stayed at the Sullivans hotel just outside the city by a 10 min walk, it is small but clean and popular.

http://www.sullivans.com.au/

Hope this helps

Carrianne
Sorry to say this but I absolutely hated Palace Backpackers.

it was nicely located for the centre of Brisbane but I can honestly say it was the worse backpackers I came across in Australia.

I think it is too big with absolutely no personal touch at all.

Kala
Old Jul 25th 2004, 8:26 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by jacknscoob
Hey "visa angel" - congrats and coolio re u getting ur visa. We lodged an application in June this year...so are on the waiting game at the mo. Cant Wait!!! xx

Thanks Good luck to you, hope its quick
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:32 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

When we did an around the world 77 days trip I surfed the web using search requests like ....Budget-hotels-Bali ....budget-hotels-china and etc.

One site kept coming up (lost the exact name as my computer went downm on the trip from uk but) I think it was Asia travel dot com or something very similar They were extremely helpful and very very inexpensive including things like free collection from air port and etc. We used them for four of the accommodations in different cuntries.......Shanghai Bangkok Bali and Beijing and have no complaints about them at all Try them....