could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

Wikiposts

could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

Originally Posted by lisabarber
hi we are a family of five, with only me working, would we be niave to come to oz ( perth or brisbane ) with some equity,( approx 90,000 squid,) with only me working(nurse)Give it to me , the good the bad, and hopefully not ugly
some nurses also get salary packaging in some states/territories.. this puts your take home wage up a bit.

Why go to large cities. or expensive cities at that? Why not try Hobart, Launceston, regional Qld, or regional NSW? Your money will go further in those locations.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattmc
Hey Wendy can my wife come shopping with you?
It will save us $200 a week

Yup, she sure can
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the roughhappyboy is a jewel in the rough

To answer Mattmc, I spend on average $250 - $300 per fortnight to feed 2 adults and two kids - I shop mostly at woolworths.[/QUOTE]

Blimey Wendy how do you manage that ?????? If memory serves me right your in Adelaide the same as me.............and can my wife also come along when you shop !!!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyboy
To answer Mattmc, I spend on average $250 - $300 per fortnight to feed 2 adults and two kids - I shop mostly at woolworths.
Blimey Wendy how do you manage that ?????? If memory serves me right your in Adelaide the same as me.............and can my wife also come along when you shop !!!![/QUOTE]

It's easy to keep bills cheap like that - cut out crap. All of it. Biscuits, puddings.....(!) It's amazing how much people spend on packaged or food they really don't need.

When Mrs B goes overseas, I save a couple of hundred of dollars a month on food and not just because I'm feeding less people - I don't buy some extras she might buy or the variety. eg. my salad might have 1 type of lettuce- hers would have 2 or 3.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Blimey Wendy how do you manage that ?????? If memory serves me right your in Adelaide the same as me.............and can my wife also come along when you shop !!!!
It's easy to keep bills cheap like that - cut out crap. All of it. Biscuits, puddings.....(!) It's amazing how much people spend on packaged or food they really don't need.

When Mrs B goes overseas, I save a couple of hundred of dollars a month on food and not just because I'm feeding less people - I don't buy some extras she might buy or the variety. eg. my salad might have 1 type of lettuce- hers would have 2 or 3.[/QUOTE]

We find it is the other way round. It is expensive to eat lots of fruit and veg. It was the same in England but we don't buy as much now.
Believe me my kids go through so much fruit we have to ration them some days. We also buy the lean meat that is also more expensive than the fatty stuff. I will not compromise on those items. The stock items we buy the home brand. Still cannot get it under $250/week.
I think Wendy has got a special formula she must share...
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

The first 4 months we were here we managed on less than that and we are a family of 6 ...

It took more money to 'set up' than we thought ....and vehicles (second hand) were just gobsmacking.... but you cut your coat according to your cloth... alot of 'living costs' are cheaper... car insurance.. electricity/gas bills... water .. no TV licence... we rent so we don;t have poll tax... or whatever it is they have here.... because we don't pay it I haven't bothered to find out what its called..

I doubt we spend $250 per week on food shopping.... most of the time its too hot to eat We don't have to spend much on going out either... we couls walk to the beach/shops/bus station.... I can train into work in South Perth

However I do spend more on Pizza than we ever did in uk... we NEVER had Pizza in England because it was too expensive.... here they have on average once a fortnight... They can be as little as $5.75 each with a discouunt voucher... and those are branded pizzas... and you don't have to switch the oven on... which when you don't have air con is a total Godsend
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:29 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

When Mrs B goes overseas, I save a couple of hundred of dollars a month on food and not just because I'm feeding less people - I don't buy some extras she might buy or the variety. eg. my salad might have 1 type of lettuce- hers would have 2 or 3.[/QUOTE]

Take a list to the shops.

PS Wendy see if you can notice something?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

We find it is the other way round. It is expensive to eat lots of fruit and veg. It was the same in England but we don't buy as much now.
Believe me my kids go through so much fruit we have to ration them some days. We also buy the lean meat that is also more expensive than the fatty stuff. I will not compromise on those items. The stock items we buy the home brand. Still cannot get it under $250/week.
Ditto. We could easily get the bill down if we wanted to eat pasta with tomato sauce every night or use a lot of non-perishables (not saying that's what Wendy does) but we like to eat fresh meat (non-fatty) and lots of veg/salads. Pricey (but then it probably is anywhere you go).
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't waste anything Any leftovers are made into something for the next day or frozen for during the week. If we have a joint of meat on a Sunday, then what's left is used for sandwiches for the kids school lunches - or if we have chicken I make chicken and sweetcorn soup as the kids love that.

Originally Posted by happyboy
Yup, she can if she likes

I also NEVER go shopping if I'm hungry as I always buy things I don't really want because they look nice at the time.

We don't skimp really and my OH eats steak nearly every night
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:42 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

I could only just survive on my own at 60,000.

Mind you I did eat out every night.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:54 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

We're a family of 6 (4 kids under 10) and we spend about $300 a week on food. We don't drink much so I think that keeps the costs down. I'm a big fan of cleanskin wine. $6 a bottle for some of the best wine I've ever tasted.

Like the UK fresh fruit is expensive and we eat a lot but have to buy seasonally to keep the costs down. This is not such a bad thing as it gives us variety. I don't find the veg too expensive but again I usually buy seasonally.

I'm not looking forward to the time when they're all teenagers.

PS: I think you can survive on $60k per year but don't buy a huge house with a huge garden and a pool. If you can avoid high maintenance then you should be good.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 29th 2008 at 8:57 am.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:08 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
We're a family of 6 (4 kids under 10) and we spend about $300 a week on food. We don't drink much so I think that keeps the costs down. I'm a big fan of cleanskin wine. $6 a bottle for some of the best wine I've ever tasted.

Like the UK fresh fruit is expensive and we eat a lot but have to buy seasonally to keep the costs down. This is not such a bad thing as it gives us variety. I don't find the veg too expensive but again I usually buy seasonally.

I'm not looking forward to the time when they're all teenagers.

PS: I think you can survive on $60k per year but don't buy a huge house with a huge garden and a pool. If you can avoid high maintenance then you should be good.
4 kids under 10, well I think we know what you do with your spare time!

Agree with the pool comments. We have one.... pain in the backside.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:33 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busterboy
4 kids under 10, well I think we know what you do with your spare time!

Agree with the pool comments. We have one.... pain in the backside.
Although I might get neutered sometime this year

And to add to it the public pools are cheap. Our local costs $12.50 for the whole family (without any sort of membership).
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lisabarber
hi we are a family of five, with only me working, would we be niave to come to oz ( perth or brisbane ) with some equity,( approx 90,000 squid,) with only me working(nurse)Give it to me , the good the bad, and hopefully not ugly
I've said it before (as Dried Graze) and I'll say it again, you can survive on very little depending on your required level of comfort. We have 5 children and survive on a darn site less with no equity to speak of. We don't own a car because we chose our location with great care. We don't take extravagant holidays and we don't shop in Myers.

Here's a snippet from the article I wrote for my blog:

We currently pay $270 (₤120) per week for a large four-bedroomed split-level house with garden and a separate mini-bungalow for guests/gym/rumpus etc, with the council tax included. In comparison, we paid ₤300 ($680) per week in Southall for a mid-terrace two-bedroomed house with a box room, no garden and extortionate council charges. Having said that, it is probably wrong to compare the two as the respective cost of living is different. This was one aspect that we researched but the more we researched the more opinion seemed split. Personally, I would say that it is slightly higher here in Australia than the UK but I can afford more meat which is also of a higher quality. Swings and roundabouts will adequately describe the cost of living with some items cheaper and others more expensive and at the end of the day, if you survived in the UK, you will manage here too.
You don't need me to tell you that if you want an assortment of gold-plated adult toys, invite city officials to regular barbecues or pay for footy stars' vices, then you are going to be burning money quicker than you can apologise to the Aboriginal nation on behalf of the white Anglo-Saxon government.

Don't let me put you off. I'm actually attempting to encourage you. We manage but it's not easy. Not yet but with sacrifice and hard work, things will get better.

Good luck but don't let a few dollars influence your choice.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rabsody
Ditto. We could easily get the bill down if we wanted to eat pasta with tomato sauce every night or use a lot of non-perishables (not saying that's what Wendy does) but we like to eat fresh meat (non-fatty) and lots of veg/salads. Pricey (but then it probably is anywhere you go).
I never really understood why so many assume you must eat garbage in order to reduce your grocery bill. It's totally untrue if you know how to use your money wisely. There's nothing that costs more than shopping in one single supermarket and choosing processed food you simply throw in the oven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.