Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:19 pm
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice
Default could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

hi we are a family of five, with only me working, would we be niave to come to oz ( perth or brisbane ) with some equity,( approx 90,000 squid,) with only me working(nurse)Give it to me , the good the bad, and hopefully not ugly
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: could we survive on 60,000 dollars a year

Originally Posted by lisabarber
hi we are a family of five, with only me working, would we be niave to come to oz ( perth or brisbane ) with some equity,( approx 90,000 squid,) with only me working(nurse)Give it to me , the good the bad, and hopefully not ugly
Hi there
Can you survive on approx 25K here with just you working? I am a great believer in anything is possible so long as you give it your best shot. It all depends on what sort of life style you and your family are used to and are expecting.
Good luck.

Last edited by grahampaula; Feb 28th 2008 at 8:21 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:12 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you earn less than us, but you've got wwayyy more equity
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a single parent (2 kids) on about $50k a year with a $150k mortgage (no other debts) I could manage it just about with renting a room out or taking homestay students in etc.

This was five years ago and costs have risen quite considerably since then (petrol doubled, I think food has probably doubled, interest rates risen from about 6% to almost 9%).

Not impossible, but I think you would seriously be struggling.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

I think you would struggle. This will mostly depend on where you want to live, near the city???
I support a family of 4 and what really surprised me was the cost of weekly shopping.
When we first got here we were spending over $400 a week on the weekly shop. We now need to budget and do shop about for the best deals and have got this down to $250. I would be interested in what other posters experiences are with cost of weekly shopping and standard costs and yes we do go to Aldi.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:38 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, it greatly depends on what you do and where you live. I assume that you fully intend to buy when you arrive? If so then that leaves the question of where to live. Which again determines how big your mortgage will be!

On a personal front, I would be amazed to see anyone survive on $60k per year. But of course there will be people on here who say you can and that they do.

The other consideration is quality of life. To come here and struggle to make ends meet would be tough.

I notice that you are a family of 5, that of itself will have an impact. It is not cheap here, but equally there are things that you can do which don't cost anything, well no more than staying at home (if that makes sense).

Personally, to be realistic, I think that if you are saying that the income would be $60k with just you working then, I think that you need an extra income. But that is only my opinion. Maybe you could do some ground work, look at the real estate agents to get an idea of property and from there you will have some idea of what mortgage you will need, from which you can then see mortgage costs. I believe there are also sites that show general costs of living, so you could find out a great deal without actually having to have lived here. Sorry I dont have details myself, but again, I am sure someone will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck. Gary
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

flower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really nice

50k does not sound to bad.Depends on where you want to live and what sort of house/mortgage you are looking for.

Food is expensive- $170-200 week feeds us, family 4, petrol $60 a week.

Good luck with your decisions.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:35 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flower33
50k does not sound to bad.Depends on where you want to live and what sort of house/mortgage you are looking for.

Food is expensive- $170-200 week feeds us, family 4, petrol $60 a week.

Good luck with your decisions.
But a family of 5... there would be some serious lay by's going on (putting weekly or monthly payments on things) with 5 pairs of shoes etc.

Would you get any parenting assistance if you're a single parent? Or the only one working?

How old are your kids and would they be working?

Factor in child care costs if they're too young to pay rent to you...
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
But a family of 5... there would be some serious lay by's going on (putting weekly or monthly payments on things) with 5 pairs of shoes etc.

Would you get any parenting assistance if you're a single parent? Or the only one working?

How old are your kids and would they be working?

Factor in child care costs if they're too young to pay rent to you...

Yes, she will get family tax benefit if she is on a PR visa, don't know how much without the kids ages.

To answer Mattmc, I spend on average $250 - $300 per fortnight to feed 2 adults and two kids - I shop mostly at woolworths.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes, she will get family tax benefit if she is on a PR visa, don't know how much without the kids ages.

To answer Mattmc, I spend on average $250 - $300 per fortnight to feed 2 adults and two kids - I shop mostly at woolworths.
Knew you'd know.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Knew you'd know.

I know EVERYTHING

(thanks Google)
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:52 am

I know EVERYTHING

(thanks Google)
Smarty pants!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I know EVERYTHING

(thanks Google)
Yes but you lie as well so how can you be trusted
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yes but you lie as well so how can you be trusted

I can't be trusted at all!

But then how do you know I'm not lying about that too?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Hey Wendy can my wife come shopping with you?
It will save us $200 a week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.