Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Could we afford to just work part time?

Could we afford to just work part time?

Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

smalls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could we afford to just work part time?

Hi, Considering applying to come to Oz. Should be able to afford to buy a house outright from sale of house in UK. Can anybody tell me whether 2 people working part time could earn enough to pay for just utility bills and food? I dont want to come to Oz and work the same hours as I do in the UK, I want to enjoy the sunshine! I am currently a Marketing manager but I would prefer to just work in a shop or something chilled out. My other half is an Electrician.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 12:53 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Could we afford to just work part time?

Originally Posted by smalls
Hi, Considering applying to come to Oz. Should be able to afford to buy a house outright from sale of house in UK. Can anybody tell me whether 2 people working part time could earn enough to pay for just utility bills and food? I dont want to come to Oz and work the same hours as I do in the UK, I want to enjoy the sunshine! I am currently a Marketing manager but I would prefer to just work in a shop or something chilled out. My other half is an Electrician.
It may be possible. But it does depend on many factors, and what life style you are looking for.

As an example, we get by pretty well on a total of just one persons average income. With our house fully paid for.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jun 12th 2005 at 1:05 am. Reason: spelling

Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

If your house was completely paid for in the UK could you afford to work part time there. No different here. (Apart from us all being so much happier, still have the same money stresses)

Lindsey
Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how much money you spend (lifestyle as ABC has mentioned, no one can survive on just food & utilities money) & other factors like do you have kids & what sort of wages you will get (50% of $100k is still alot more than 80% of $30k) etc. Having 2 wages is an advantage as you get the tax free threshold on both, so 2 wages of $30K are better than 1 wage of $60K at the bottom line. Not having kids will have a huge impact on your spending as well. But so much really does depend on what sort of lifestyle you envisage yourself having.

We own our own home & Dagboy has now cut back to part time work (4 days/week). In the future we're planning for him to cut back further. But that wont suit everyone.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:28 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Take a holiday.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

Both of you working part time is the best decision you could ever make. Me and my partner do this, we don't earn a lot of money but have enough to take regular overseas holidays pay our mortgage and have a reasonably good life. There is no point in working yourself to the bone until you retire then die. My friend works at Coles in the evening stacking shelves for a few hours a week and he gets A$17.50 per hour and he has no hassle. Alot of people in Australia work for 6 months then have 6 months off, its so easy to do this if you are disciplined with your money.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 4:12 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Slack Immos - what's the point?
Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:38 pm
Merlot

What I would recommend is wait until you get to Australia and then see, don't make too many plans now as there will be a 100 variables to them.

In the last 12 months in Australia we reduced our hours (to spend more time experiencing Oz) but we had to reduce our outgoings too - but still all possible.

The downside was that luxuries had to be reduced, as well as holidays (no coming back to the UK if no money), we did not save and did not make contributions to our pension/super plans and if any big bills come your way you can struggle.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:39 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty sure Kerry Packer is only part time you know.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:45 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'm pretty sure Kerry Packer is only part time you know.
Alan Bond tried that a few years back.

M