Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

could they swap state...

could they swap state...

Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default could they swap state...

we have got our STNI visa to go to Adelaide, all set really looking forward to it, until today my husband got offer from a company in Melbourne. does any one know if an STNI visa could be swaped to the state of another state?
can anybody help please.

farideh
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: could they swap state...

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
we have got our STNI visa to go to Adelaide, all set really looking forward to it, until today my husband got offer from a company in Melbourne. does any one know if an STNI visa could be swaped to the state of another state?
can anybody help please.

farideh
I don't think it can - I think you would have to reapply to Victoria, but maybe with the job offer you could get ENS????

Try the immigration forum where the agents hang out perhaps.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: could they swap state...

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I don't think it can - I think you would have to reapply to Victoria, but maybe with the job offer you could get ENS????

Cheers

Buzzy
I have but no reply from th immigration forum,I meant not us try to do the swap but maybe the company as they are almost begging my hubby to go to melbourne, rather than Adelaide.
if they want him that badly I guess they better figure something out themselves.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Cheers

Buzzy
sorry to be a bit daft, but what does ENS means?

cheers
Old Apr 6th 2006, 7:46 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: could they swap state...

sorry to be a bit daft, but what does ENS means?

cheers
Employer nomination scheme - check
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/employers/ens.htm

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Apr 6th 2006, 8:30 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I have but no reply from th immigration forum,I meant not us try to do the swap but maybe the company as they are almost begging my hubby to go to melbourne, rather than Adelaide.
if they want him that badly I guess they better figure something out themselves.
can you contact S.A and Victoria and explain what has happened and see if Vic will sponser you instead? as you know you get PR with STNI not sure if this applies to ENS.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by possoms
can you contact S.A and Victoria and explain what has happened and see if Vic will sponser you instead? as you know you get PR with STNI not sure if this applies to ENS.
so you think we should apply rather than the company in question.
they even said if needed they would pay for he's flight from Adelaide to Melbourne on the weekly basis, if the change wasnt possible.
I thought with STNI you had to work in the state for 12 months, and live there for 24 months.
I'm so confuse, wish they never got in touch with the OH.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:45 am

so you think we should apply rather than the company in question.
they even said if needed they would pay for he's flight from Adelaide to Melbourne on the weekly basis, if the change wasnt possible.
I thought with STNI you had to work in the state for 12 months, and live there for 24 months.
I'm so confuse, wish they never got in touch with the OH.
Sorry I'm confused also, I've re-read what you posted earlier and I gather you have already got your visa?

We were told with STNI you are 'expected' to live and work there for 2 yrs.

If it was me I would email S.A and explain what has happened and ask them for advice.

Wheres JAJ when you need him.

good luck
Old Apr 7th 2006, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by possoms
Sorry I'm confused also, I've re-read what you posted earlier and I gather you have already got your visa?

We were told with STNI you are 'expected' to live and work there for 2 yrs.

If it was me I would email S.A and explain what has happened and ask them for advice.

Wheres JAJ when you need him.

good luck
thanks possoms, thats what my OH suggested that he might have to do, I thought I might just get some info here if anybody has done it already.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

can anybody help please.
No easy answer to this one. There is an obligation with STNI to live in the sponsoring state for 2 years, it's currently only a moral obligation however there is talk that the law might change to allow cancellation of visas in cases where people never settle in the sponsoring state.

As others have suggested, best thing is to contact the South Australian immigration people and have a word with them. If they are dead-set against it then you will have a number of options including:

- If Victoria are happy to accept you, see if DIMA are willing to agree to you changing states without needing a new visa application (may or may not be possible)
- Reapply for a new visa sponsored by Victoria (or a 136 if you have the points - do you?)
- Apply for a *permanent* ENS visa if you qualify.

You probably need professional advice to understand all these options in detail. If South Australia are ok with you going to Victoria then you don't have a problem, however you must get confirmation of this in writing to protect you should the law change to allow STNI visa cancellation in the medium term.

Ask further on the immigration forum, you have more chance of a reply there.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
No easy answer to this one. There is an obligation with STNI to live in the sponsoring state for 2 years, it's currently only a moral obligation however there is talk that the law might change to allow cancellation of visas in cases where people never settle in the sponsoring state.

As others have suggested, best thing is to contact the South Australian immigration people and have a word with them. If they are dead-set against it then you will have a number of options including:

- If Victoria are happy to accept you, see if DIMA are willing to agree to you changing states without needing a new visa application (may or may not be possible)
- Reapply for a new visa sponsored by Victoria (or a 136 if you have the points - do you?)
- Apply for a *permanent* ENS visa if you qualify.

You probably need professional advice to understand all these options in detail. If South Australia are ok with you going to Victoria then you don't have a problem, however you must get confirmation of this in writing to protect you should the law change to allow STNI visa cancellation in the medium term.

Ask further on the immigration forum, you have more chance of a reply there.
ahh there he is, that sounds a lot clearer than what I was trying to say Farideh