Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Costs of Living in Sydney...

Costs of Living in Sydney...

Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

AmyV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Costs of Living in Sydney...

Originally Posted by paddyo
Thats a good approach and exactly what we did...plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Adult or child education?
I've worked in Universities mainly with post-grads.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:21 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyV
I've worked in Universities mainly with post-grads.
OK, when you get here give me a message...I am heavily involved in adult education, primarily in vocational training but also have oversight of our companys national acceditations and our corporate 'university'.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

AmyV is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot, I will do that. We are hoping to be there around the New Year.

Thanks a lot for the other replies
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am a slave to Sydney Buses, it ain't good but it gets me there.....eventually@!
I love my journey to work on sydney buses. It is one of the best commutes to work I have ever had, and for a fraction of the price of my commute to london.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:46 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I love my journey to work on sydney buses. It is one of the best commutes to work I have ever had, and for a fraction of the price of my commute to london.
Oh its cheap alright, but its the ebb and flow of the times that frustrates me, and if you catch it wrong, you end up parked on the Harbour Bridge for ages!!!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 12:12 am
ABCDiamond

I was wondering if things had got worse in Sydney since I left. I lived in Western Sydney and had no troubles with getting to the CBD with public transport. Sounds like it is better travelling from the West than from living more central

Old Sep 11th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I am a slave to Sydney Buses, it ain't good but it gets me there.....eventually@!
Yeah. That's the executive word "eventually"!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I regularly wait 25-35 minutes for my bus, scheduled to run every 10. It's tons cheaper than the train though, as I live on the Airport line, plus the stop is near the apartment and it gets me a lot closer to the office, so I'm learning just to get there when I get there and stop stressing - unless I have an early meeting when I go out about 4 buses before I should need to.

(370 "Coffee express" running from Coogee to Leichardt)
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was wondering if things had got worse in Sydney since I left. I lived in Western Sydney and had no troubles with getting to the CBD with public transport. Sounds like it is better travelling from the West than from living more central
Well I have only been doing it for five weeks or so, but every single bus has turned up on time and has gotten me to my destination in the time I expected it too. I do travel early in the morning and perhaps avoid some of the later traffic, I don't know. Hard to avoid evening traffic but I still find it perfectly ok and far preferable to crowded underground and trains that I did for years.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:36 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
(370 "Coffee express" running from Coogee to Leichardt)
The 370 is definitely not an express route, that's for sure! It meanders down every busy shopping street there is. It's a shame because there are so many nice neighbourhoods along the way.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 6:43 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
The 370 is definitely not an express route, that's for sure! It meanders down every busy shopping street there is. It's a shame because there are so many nice neighbourhoods along the way.
It's known as the Coffee Express because it takes all the Italian old dears for their coffee in Little Italy.

It's far more enjoyable than getting the train from North Sydney (when everybody who got on further up the line is already playing sardines), I know that for sure. I chat with old dears of all nationalities - had quite a convo in bad German with an old Russian gentleman the other week, who's been here since the 60s and hardly speaks any English.

My main gripe is that I see everyone sitting at pavement cafes on King St and want to join them instead of going to work
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Well I have only been doing it for five weeks or so, but every single bus has turned up on time and has gotten me to my destination in the time I expected it too. I do travel early in the morning and perhaps avoid some of the later traffic, I don't know. Hard to avoid evening traffic but I still find it perfectly ok and far preferable to crowded underground and trains that I did for years.
Yes, if I get the bus before 7.15 from Seaforth its not too bad...but after that and the school bus teams kick in and its often double the time!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:16 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Seasider
:

My main gripe is that I see everyone sitting at pavement cafes on King St and want to join them instead of going to work
Jealousy......its a terrible thing!!!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:20 am
Auntie Fa

Ooh, jealousy is not a nice word. Envy, for sure although I did have six years of being a Lady wot Lunched and was in grave danger of losing my brain, hence going back to work.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, if I get the bus before 7.15 from Seaforth its not too bad...but after that and the school bus teams kick in and its often double the time!!!!
Ah well I get the 6.30am bus so maybe that is why I find it so pleasant then. I don't leave the house any earlier than I ever did, maybe thta is why I find it so civilised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.